hey guys was just wondering about a few odds questions1. what are the odds of getting a poker pair2. what are the average odds of wining when flopping a setthanks alot
1. 1 in 16.5-ish.2. this depends waaaay too much on what the board looks like when you flop that set. regardless, if someone flops a str8 or flush to your set, you're about a 1 in 3 shot to win even though they have you on the flop.
2. what are the average odds of wining when flopping a set
2. this depends waaaay too much on what the board looks like when you flop that set. regardless, if someone flops a str8 or flush to your set, you're about a 1 in 3 shot to win even though they have you on the flop.
Also, you can figure the math for the general sense, but it'd be both a) really hard and B) completely useless. It's all situational.
Guest Anonymous
hey guys was just wondering about a few odds questions1. what are the odds of getting a poker pair2. what are the average odds of wining when flopping a setthanks alot
1. What do you mean by poker pair? Pair in your holecards, or a pair using board cards?2. The odds of whining when you flop a set? Depends on if you're Hellmuth or not.
1. 3/51 = 1/17. After you've got dealt the first card, there are 51 remaining possibilities, and out of 3 will match your first dealt card.2. It depends on more factors, like the number of players in the pot, you've got bottom, middle, or top set, the texture of the flop
Math sucks... learn how to throw a football or something else manly.Sincerely,Monty
Stop trying so hard to be funny. A smart ass response every once in a while is all right but after every post is just too much. You're trying way too hard to get people to like you.
Math sucks... learn how to throw a football or something else manly.Sincerely,Monty
Stop trying so hard to be funny. A smart ass response every once in a while is all right but after every post is just too much. You're trying way too hard to get people to like you.
I couldn't agree more.. I went through most of his posts and every single one I read was worthless.
1. 3/51 = 1/17. After you've got dealt the first card, there are 51 remaining possibilities, and out of 3 will match your first dealt card.2. It depends on more factors, like the number of players in the pot, you've got bottom, middle, or top set, the texture of the flop
I haven't dealt with math for a long time. Let me try to think about it more, some real mathematians out there please correct me if I am wrong.The probability of set wins P(my set win) = (Probability of no higher set) X (probability of no flush)X(Probability of no straight) 1. P(no higher set) = 1 - Probability of someone's got higher set = 1 - 1/8x1/8 = 63/642. P(no one makes flush)-- P(Someone makes flush on flop) = 1/118 (spare me the details)-- P(someone flops flush draws and complete by river) = 1/8.1x1/2.6 = 1/21-- P(someone flops backdoor flush draw & complete by river) = 1/1.4x1/24 ~= 1/34 So P(no one makes flush) = (1-1/118)x(1-1/21)x(1-1/24) ~= 0.93. P(no one makes str8)-- P(Someone makes straight on flop) = 1/90 -- P(someone flops straight draws and complete by river) = 1/6x1/2.9 = 1/17-- P(someone flops back door straight draw & complete by river) = 1/1.5x1/68 ~= 1/102 So P(no one makes straight) = (1-1/90)x(1-1/17)x(1-1/102) ~= 0.92So the P(your set wins) = 63/64 x 0.9 x 0.92 ~= 0.8I know this is incorrect and it's only a rough estimate, I ignore the fact that, say someone completes their straight then you complete a full house. I am glad to see other calculation methods, I haven't touched statistics for a while.
In case you wanted to know how to figure this stuff out mathematically: Question 1: Odds of getting a pocket pair (I think this is what you meant).This is a combination question. See http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/mat..._tut57_comb.htm You'll also probably need this page for background info http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/mat...tut55_count.htmFirst, for the total number of 2 card hands (this will be our denominator later) The formula is nCr= n!/(n-r)!r!, where n is the number of objects (52 cards) and r is the specific grouping of objects (2 card hand).n= 52r= 2 Plugging into the formula, we have52C2 = 52!/(52-2)!2! = 1326(To solve 52!, see the second link. It is 52 X 51 X 50, etc. all the way to X 2 X 1. Same for 2!, which would be 2 X 1).There are 1326 different two card hands (without regard to order).Next, to find the total number of specific pocket pairs that can be dealt. There are 6 ways of choosing 2 cards out of a set of four (without regard to order). 4C2= 6 .There are 13 (52/4) sets of four cards (four A's, four 2's, four 3's, etc.) So there are 78 (13 X 6) ways of getting a pair.Our probability is 78/1326 which is 1/17 or roughly 5.88%. To convert 1/17 into odds form we use the formula odds against= 1-P(E)/P(E) (P(E)) is the probability of the event happening. Plugging in we have (1-1/17)/ (1/17)= (16/17)/(1/17) = (16/17) *(17/1)= 16 to 1.This confirms what checkymcfold said. It is also the same number Mike Caro came up with on page 572 of Super/ System IQuestion 2: Like most people said, this depends on a lot of different factors. I think I remember Sklansky estimating about 78% during one of his example hands in SSHE, but I'm not too sure. It's pretty high though.
shit, I missed this post. Yah, that's a lot easier.