how many hands to move up?

So wth the help of bonuses and instant bankroll I've moved from .05/.10 to .25/.50 to .50/1.00 to 1/2 to the bankroll for 2/4.The problem is I have logged less than 10k hands in PT (disregarding the nano limits). Under 5k hands have been logged at 1/2. Should I stick around at 1/2 until I get 10k hands in that before I move up? That seems the msot sensible thing to me.By the way, thanks to the guys here in strat for helping me with my game by critiquing the play of others. It's helped tremendously.-Neal

play 2/4...if you loose 100BB...move down
yea, Id take a shot if youve got the roll for it...Ive only got 15k hands at 2/4 but Ive made enough to go up to 3/6 so once I reread SSHE Im going to make the jump. Good Luck.

I don't think there is too much merit in waiting until you have 10 000 hands logged at a level befor emoving up. A sustainable bankroll is the main problem, not the experience at different levels (I've heard that there are fish at every level, but I cannot confirm nor deny this statement as I have not played higher than 2/4). The cards are going to play the same regardless of what the blind/ante structures are. 8)

I don't think there is too much merit in waiting until you have 10 000 hands logged at a level befor emoving up. A sustainable bankroll is the main problem, not the experience at different levels (I've heard that there are fish at every level, but I cannot confirm nor deny this statement as I have not played higher than 2/4). The cards are going to play the same regardless of what the blind/ante structures are. 8)
I'm on the fence about when to move up. I've long had the bankroll for 2/4 (now I'm rolled for 3/6) but I'm still playing 1/2.I'm not exactly sure why I'm doing this. The first reason I had was to plug leaks at small stakes. But as long as I'm playing well enough to win at the next highest level, then I might as well plug my leaks there, since my base winrate will be higher.Another thing that holds some people back is mentally adjusting to playing with more money. Again, I don't think it is a problem for me, but you definitely should not move up if you are playing more conservatively because each bet is bigger.One good reason I can think of for playing a few thousand hands at a given limit is it takes that long to find out if you are really beating the game. I think it was around 6,500 or 7,000 hands that my 1/2 winrate was statistically above zero at the 95% confidence level. This isn't because my observed winrate is low, but just because the standard deviation of winrate for a good player is high relavative to his winrate and it takes a large sample to know your winrate within a couple of BB/100.So I don't think there's a good "rule of thumb" for moving up in limits, but I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts.

'm not exactly sure why I'm doing this. The first reason I had was to plug leaks at small stakes. But as long as I'm playing well enough to win at the next highest level, then I might as well plug my leaks there, since my base winrate will be higher. Not to mention the leaks will become more apparent.

Econ_tim, I am following your line of reasoning. Another 4-5k hands at 1-2 would give me more of a clue to my winrate at that level. I'm currently at 2.03 bb/100 at .5/1.00 but just over .4bb/100 at 1/2. I plugged a few leaks (was overplaying AQ among other things) and am wanting to see what my bb/100 looks like in 4k-5k hands. Despite the advice of respected forum members, I think I will still wait to move up. Better to be safe than sorry.

I've stayed at my current limit (.25/.50) for over 70K hands, mostly due to some bankroll issues with the missus. Of course, if my bankroll allowed it, I'd be gone. :)You do continue to learn some things about your game at the lower limits, even well after the 10K mark.What you do want to avoid, however, is developing some extremely bad habits, because you can "get away with it" at your level.Just some input from someone who's stayed at a limit a little too long. :club:

'm not exactly sure why I'm doing this. The first reason I had was to plug leaks at small stakes. But as long as I'm playing well enough to win at the next highest level, then I might as well plug my leaks there, since my base winrate will be higher. Not to mention the leaks will become more apparent.
Exactly. It's very hard to plug all but the most basic leaks until you encounter somebody who can exploit them. That ain't happening at 1/2, so you probably won't know whether you're raising too often on the turn.If you're serious about making your game better and winning some money, move up when you can afford to until you encounter systematic resistance. Figure out why you lost, rework the roll, and take another shot.Only way you get better is if you're willing to admit you've got problems... (<-------- works for alcoholics, too)Ice