what do you say when you suck out?

Ok, we all know there are countless threads on here where people complain about bad beats and suckouts. That's fine. It happens...if you feel better after posting the hand history and calling the person a bag of douche then more power to you. But we all know that we, too, suck out on occasion. We make decisions that we know are wrong and get lucky. So my question is, what do you say after it happens? I used to think that apologizing was the only choice because I always feel bad when it happens. But then I realized it's not the most profitable response. Two of my favorites now are:"I thought I had enough outs.""I was pot committed."I've found that it if you convince the guy that you're an idiot then he'll end up giving you more of his chips later on. Dishonest, yes. But it seems to work. Does anybody else do this? Or do you take the high road and apologize?And just in case, let's just assume that Mexico has already seen this thread and already made the obligatory "sucking" on something joke and that we all found it funny and inappropriate. Just saving you the time, Ron (sw).

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had aces once live got hugely raised by two pair - tried to bluff the turn and caught a straight on the flop to win like a 1200 dollar poti said i was sorry and this woman berated me and said your not sorryi said well i'm sorry the way i wonshe said no your not rudely so I said your right I'm f-ing ecstatic!

I was just going to say that I usually shrug, quietly say sorry, and rake the chips. If I am lit up and I river something, I say something like "that's why they put five cards out there"Thanks for the thought Dolfan. I love being in someones stream of consciousness. As for the suckout joke, I will usually just pay her and go on about my business.

I think the best way to go about the whole issue is just not to say anything. If bad player allowed you to catch one of your outs by not betting enough to deny you proper odds to call and thinks that you unjustly sucked out on him, explaining how you were mathematically sound to call most likely won't mean anything to him. If you do indeed make a mistake by believing you have odds due to a bad read on an opponent's hand and do end up getting lucky after a bad call, saying something to defend your actions will only make your opponent more angry most of the time. Best bet is to just keep quiet and move on to the next hand.

I usually have a justified reason for making a call so I don't have to say anything. The times when you have a bad read and find you're way behind...I usually say something like "that's not what I had you on" and if I win after that so be it, they knew why I called. It wasn't like I called knowing I was way behind and trying to suck out. So there is no reason to say anything.

I think the best way to go about the whole issue is just not to say anything. If bad player allowed you to catch one of your outs by not betting enough to deny you proper odds to call and thinks that you unjustly sucked out on him, explaining how you were mathematically sound to call most likely won't mean anything to him. If you do indeed make a mistake by believing you have odds due to a bad read on an opponent's hand and do end up getting lucky after a bad call, saying something to defend your actions will only make your opponent more angry most of the time. Best bet is to just keep quiet and move on to the next hand.
This is a well thought out, carefully considered, clear and concise, mature response.Please don't post here again.

When I suck out on someone I like to say something like " I knew I made the right play." In my experience, saying something like this or similar seems to put the person on tilt. My favourite saying of all time..... "I put you on aces, but still called cause my cards were sooted." To be honest though, I feel that I owe no one any explanation for the way I play. If I suck out, that's poker, if u can't take being outdrawn or rivered, u are playing the wrong cardgame...... in my opinionGarnes

usually when i take down a big hand like aa with a hand like 35o, i like to say "way to play that AA, clown", then i proceed to harassing the player until they tilt their way to death

See, I agree with the people who want to say something to put the other person on tilt. I used to just aplologize and move on but then I realized that even if you have to be dishonest, making a fish comment can really be profitable. So now I'm just a jerk. Sorry. Now I'm curious, how many purists do we have that think this isn't gentlemanly and is disrespectful. To you I say:I don't know man, I just had a feeling.Oh and Mexico, I just had a feeling that based on the title of the thread it would be beyond your will power to refrain from making a suckout joke. I would expect nothing less.