showing your nuts and bluffs

Do you ever show your hand when you don't have to?I show mine sometimes, whether its the nuts or a bluff. I always have a reason for doing it, other than being proud of a made straight flush or 4 of a kind. Sometimes its to project a tight image, sometimes to tilt a weak player, sometimes to project a loose image, etc.I'm curious what your thoughts on this are. Do you ever show when you don't have to? And if so, why?

at least one time if I go all in or something with 2 pair or whatever I like to show so I can bluff later onbut yea there always has to be a reason to show your hand even if I hit like a straight flush if I dont go showdown with it no one sees it I dont care

Cash games, if I'm planning on sticking around for awhile, I'll show a good hand if my raises generally haven't been respected but this one was. (Kind of a John Robert style "Very nice laydown, gentlemen!" type of move.)Conversely, if my raises are getting too much respect ("Damn, I've won the blinds the last eighteen times I raised with my high pockets..."), then I'll show them a bluff to encourage them to play with me some.

Like you said, I'll show quads or a SF, just for novelty purposes, but otherwise, I will almost never show. I don't like the idea of giving away information for free. If I'm in tourny or in a SNG, and it's late in the running, and I make a stone cold bluff, I'll sometimes show just to piss everyone off and try and get them on Tilt, but that's about it.

I'll show both at certain times, i'll show the bluff at times if there is a player at the table who thinks he's a star and is on people's nerves its always a nice feeling to put someone in their place.

I used to show my nuts all the time in college. One year at Halloween I walked around for like 45 minutes in a bar hanging brain.With regards to cards though, i used to show bluffs a lot, now I almost never show a hand that's not called down. Occasionally if I hit 4 of a kind, or if I'm raising a lot of pots and don't get called I'll show premium cards to send out the message that "I'm always there." Now I MAY show down one uncalled hand per session...

Online = neverLive tables = almost neverNow-a-days the people at the tables are either too new or too stupid to understand what your doing anyway. They will never remember that 2 hours ago you flashed them pocket kings or a made straight.

I show my nuts every fucking chance I get.
Well done. I bet you can do some sweet tricks with them. I had one friend that could make his nuts look like Hillary Clinton riding a camel. Hey TheKid-Look man, this has gone on long enough. Your avatar is TOO BIG. It stretches the screen so I have to scroll to the right to read the last few words of every line of everyone's posts. PLEASE fix it or change it.

And I never show my cards. I'm not smart enough to play the "I know that he knows that I know that he knows what I know" game.Unless I'm drunk, in which case I am so good at poker that I can show my cards every single hand and still win...Or if I'm high, in which case I am so bad at poker that I typically show my cards by accident followed by fits of uncontrollable laughter and snacking.

Hey TheKid- Look man, this has gone on long enough. Your avatar is TOO BIG. It stretches the screen so I have to scroll to the right to read the last few words of every line of everyone's posts. PLEASE fix it or change it

Anyone want to wager on the ratio of serious responses to "I show my nuts" jokes?I for one refuse to stoop to that level. The setup is just too easy. Besides the question we all want the answer to is...How often does Kathy Liebert show her nuts?

When I wrote the title to this thread I figured we might get some colorful responses along with some serious ones. In any case, they're all welcome.
In that case, I actually don't like to show my hand that often unless I bluff somebody I don't like out of a pot. Then I just get all childish and have to show them so hopefully they go on tilt.
Guest Anonymous
Do you ever show your hand when you don't have to?I show mine sometimes, whether its the nuts or a bluff. I always have a reason for doing it, other than being proud of a made straight flush or 4 of a kind. Sometimes its to project a tight image, sometimes to tilt a weak player, sometimes to project a loose image, etc.I'm curious what your thoughts on this are. Do you ever show when you don't have to? And if so, why?
I used to think it was beneficial to show hands every now and then. Online I have come to the conclusion that it is almost always useless. It is rare to find those that are taking notes on you, either written or mentally. And if they are studious enough to be doing so, they are most likely using software to keep track of hand histories, and your behaviour for a particular session will be ignored anyways. The only time it is beneficial, imo, is in SnGs, and rarely. If you're going to play tight for the first half of the tournament, then as you said projecting a tight image is sometimes useful. Taking a long time to fold in the first few orbits helps too, as it ensures that people notice you are always folding. The reverse sometimes also helps. If you get away with a big bluff early, and your plan is to sit tight and wait for a good hand afterwards, it can also be helpful to show the bluff as it will give you a better chance of getting action later.In person I never show, and if someone really wants to know what I had I might tell them. And about half the time I might tell the truth, lol. As sessions in person are much shorter, and I find myself playing hands maybe a few times an hour, I find that people establish their opinion of my style more on betting amounts for NL hold-em, and for 7stud I've never come across a good table at the limits I play. I don't play limit HE in person, so can't say.
I used to think it was beneficial to show hands every now and then. Online I have come to the conclusion that it is almost always useless. It is rare to find those that are taking notes on you, either written or mentally. And if they are studious enough to be doing so, they are most likely using software to keep track of hand histories, and your behaviour for a particular session will be ignored anyways. The only time it is beneficial, imo, is in SnGs, and rarely. If you're going to play tight for the first half of the tournament, then as you said projecting a tight image is sometimes useful. Taking a long time to fold in the first few orbits helps too, as it ensures that people notice you are always folding. The reverse sometimes also helps. If you get away with a big bluff early, and your plan is to sit tight and wait for a good hand afterwards, it can also be helpful to show the bluff as it will give you a better chance of getting action later.In person I never show, and if someone really wants to know what I had I might tell them. And about half the time I might tell the truth, lol. As sessions in person are much shorter, and I find myself playing hands maybe a few times an hour, I find that people establish their opinion of my style more on betting amounts for NL hold-em, and for 7stud I've never come across a good table at the limits I play. I don't play limit HE in person, so can't say.
That's mainly what I play, SnGs and MTTs. Rarely will you see me at a ring game. I agree this may be useless on the ring games, especially in limit HE.

Hey TheKid- Look man, this has gone on long enough. Your avatar is TOO BIG. It stretches the screen so I have to scroll to the right to read the last few words of every line of everyone's posts. PLEASE fix it or change it

I really only show a hand about twice a week, if it's on a bluff then only to a low stack so as to get him pissed off enough to go on tilt and get busted- out.Otherwise if I have had a chat with a guy and I just won with the nuts to a fold then I would show as long as he wasn't a threat.Apart from these shows of weakness I NEVER let anyone know what I had as I am a tight-aggressive player and I would be doing myself an injustice.

I really only show a hand about twice a week, if it's on a bluff then only to a low stack so as to get him censored off enough to go on tilt and get busted- out.Otherwise if I have had a chat with a guy and I just won with the nuts to a fold.Apart from these shows of weakness I NEVER let anyone know what I had as I am a tight-aggressive player and I would be doing myself an injustice.
Always? Do you ever adjust your style of play to your opponents, or do you always match your tables to your style? What do you do when your table becomes TAG, through people coming and going? Do you just leave and find another table? Do you observe a table for atleast an orbit before sitting down? Do you play MTTs, where your tablemates are out of your control?

As someone here said earlier, no one pays attention. Had aces one hand all in and got called and won, didn't play a hand for 45 mins, raised all in preflop with KK, got called by 33(had the guy covered by 8k or so). He got the club flush on the river and said "it amazes how many people undervalue a small pocket pair."