Also, I'm not sure if limping with Ace small suited is worth it, the flushes are farther in-between than sets and less likely to get paid off.
What's the difference if you limp with Ace-small-suit as opposed to Ace-big-suit? If you hit the flush it's still the nuts.
  • Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a flush and straight draw on the board? Everyone drawing to those hands will most likely take a freebie and all pocket pairs get to stay around for another card and catch that set. Too tricky for your own good. Sometimes betting and winning a small pot is the right play.

Also no one has asked yet and I was suprised but what if you flop quads? do you still move all in?
NO! You must fold those quads immediately, since Smash didn't feel a need to mention them in his strategy post, they must be awful cards. FOLD THEM IMMEDIATELY!!!
With a flush and straight draw on the board? Everyone drawing to those hands will most likely take a freebie and all pocket pairs get to stay around for another card and catch that set. Too tricky for your own good. Sometimes betting and winning a small pot is the right play.
you are correct sir

well it worked after 225 hands I flopped a set in a six way pot sb bet out in front of me, I went all in for 23 dollars got called set held up against top pair king kicker. Good so far.... taking a break will try another couple hundred hands later.

130 hands into it, it works!FullTiltPoker Game #185622934: Table Ballinger - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 10:07:32 ET - 2005/08/15Seat 1: sleeved ($21.85), is sitting outSeat 2: encantasme ($19.90)Seat 3: zbuckley ($8.85)Seat 4: sretep2122 ($89.20)Seat 5: FTPAbe ($16.95)Seat 6: BlackBeatty ($24.05)Seat 7: Pupsta ($22.20)Seat 8: Rokuban ($23.45)Seat 9: maleny52 ($29.95)encantasme posts the small blind of $0.10zbuckley posts the big blind of $0.25The button is in seat #9*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Pupsta [Ad Ah]sretep2122 foldsFTPAbe foldsBlackBeatty raises to $0.85Pupsta raises to $22.20, and is all inRokuban foldsmaleny52 foldsencantasme foldszbuckley foldsBlackBeatty: crap I hate thisBlackBeatty: I guess if you got aces you got meBlackBeatty has 15 seconds left to actBlackBeatty calls $21.35Pupsta shows [Ad Ah]BlackBeatty shows [Kh Kc]*** FLOP *** [9d 9c Th]*** TURN *** [9d 9c Th] [9s]*** RIVER *** [9d 9c Th 9s] [Qd]Pupsta shows a full house, Nines full of AcesBlackBeatty shows a full house, Nines full of KingsPupsta wins the pot ($42.55) with a full house, Nines full of Aces*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $44.75 | Rake $2.20Board: [9d 9c Th 9s Qd]Seat 1: sleeved is sitting outSeat 2: encantasme (small blind) folded before the FlopSeat 3: zbuckley (big blind) folded before the FlopSeat 4: sretep2122 didn't bet (folded)Seat 5: FTPAbe didn't bet (folded)Seat 6: BlackBeatty showed [Kh Kc] and lost with a full house, Nines full of KingsSeat 7: Pupsta showed [Ad Ah] and won ($42.55) with a full house, Nines full of AcesSeat 8: Rokuban didn't bet (folded)Seat 9: maleny52 (button) didn't bet (folded)

Sounds like I'll be trying this out tonight on the Party Affiliates. I'll post updates, but I don't see how this couldn't work.
easiest way for this not to work is to go card-dead at a rock garden table. i was lucky to ge tpaid off with my AA.
Sounds like I'll be trying this out tonight on the Party Affiliates. I'll post updates, but I don't see how this couldn't work.
easiest way for this not to work is to go card-dead at a rock garden table. i was lucky to ge tpaid off with my AA.
Yes, but my table selection is better than average players. Thus, the only way this can't work is for me to get cold decked. Since the money will be going in as a huge favorite on my part most of the time (the sad times my KK goes up against AA will just be unfortunate) I'll win because I'll be ahead. It is simple statistics and odds. Fortunately, the way NLHE is set up, overpairs have a staggering advantage over lower pairs. Again, I'll post updates, but don't expect me to come back tonight discounting the theory because I lost three buyins. This game is played for the longrun.

Smash,This is pretty much exactly how I am playing the $100 NL tables (almost) every night for the past 8 months (with one small exception, I wait until the flop to go all in with KK, or QQ in case overcards come). I always raise with big pairs to 'trap' people into the hand and hope the set hits. I have multitabled 3 $100 NL tables, got completely card-dead and still raked in $500 after hitting a few sets this saturday night. This method is unbelievably profitable, anyone who cannot make money with it is not sticking to their guns. Of course there are times when you flop 2-pair on a small/big blind, however, be aware that you only have a MNIMAL amount of money invested in the hand -- I have folded 2-pair in this position to All-ins all the time (I am TIGHT). My roommates howl at me for folding AQ soooted, AK off in an early position, and some small pairs to big raises. I howl back when I have $600 on three $100 tables simultaneously. I have been absolutley KILLING the game doing this for the past 8 months -- I am the tightest player at any given table but people still call all-ins after me not playing 200 hands in a row :club: I am up $1400 this WEEK on $100NL tables using (nearly) the same strat.

here is an example hand i have no idea how to play under this system. i'm BB with 10/9o...flop comes 10 9 5 (2 spades) so i check all 7 other limpers check...turn comes 3 no help to flush or straight, i come out betting, guy raises me with pocket 3's (me not knowing, call because i think i'm huge favourite. am i supposed to fold when i think i have such a huge advantage??? Yes.You don't have a huge advantage with two pair on this flop, and you may be behind.The idea is to conserve chips and only hammer massive edges. Pushing small edges is pointless when you can push big ones and take people's entire stacks. That's the goal. To double up by getting all of your money in as a massive favorite, preferably 100/0, but ussually *at least* 70/30.

I felt the need to respnod here: Firstly the system which smash has pointed out for you people is sadly but true very profitable in the Lower limit NL games,I went through the entire thread and cant comprehend how many of you asked further questions once he had already outlined it point for point. Learn to read already as if you arent able to comprehend it I dont see any way you could possibly think you will be a actual "poker player" its harder than you think!! The few skeptics on here regarding the system are not worng at all either,they probably have a little more skill than the average low limit player and they know THIS WILL NOT WORK AT HIGHER LIMITS.I had to stress that as I dont wan tto see you people getting run down when you make 5K and think you can come play 25/50NL or higher and get rolled repeatedly....I would feel safe to venture to say that anything above a 2/4 blind game this would not work unless you had very good table selection which I am sure most people dont even take the time to consider ( may I say that in my opinion thats the number one key to winning online) For anyone starting out and has the discipline go ahead and try to use the system,it will work.....although let me stress that if you want to actually PLAY poker and have added success by learning to play then open things up a little,I am no prahlad Freidman however I have done well and the key to success is a imagination reading and remembering opponents. Thought I would add that yes this is my second post take it for what its worth as I know you people value "numbers" lol,just wanted to point some things out,and after re-reading it I may have come off a little harsh.TMV

The few skeptics on here regarding the system are not worng at all either,they probably have a little more skill than the average low limit player and they know THIS WILL NOT WORK AT HIGHER LIMITSYeah, of course not. Neither will they way they play :club:

I've thought of one question. You said not to play AKo or KQs because we want to keep our chips for really big edges. If our chips are at or below the table buy-in, then we can always reload back to the buy-in. And if we are the big stack at the table (by a good margin) then losing some chips won't affect how much we win when we push with big margins.So it seems like you could play these hands if your stack equals the buy-in or you have a sizable chip lead.This in only true for people who can play these hands profitably, which isn't everyone.On another note, your strategy implies that you should always reload if your stack dips below the table buy-in.

Often players are correct to call all-ins with top two pair. That's what makes it so great. When you push with your set, they're often in a position where they cannot differentiate between you and the maniacal retard who pushes whenever he makes TPTK.It's far more often that the guy pushing is overplaying top pair. Case in point, when i was using a smash-esque strategy with A/6s, and flopped top two on a draw-lite board. I bet the pot, and some guy went all in for $500 more (pot of $50). I only had $40 more, so i naturally called. He showed A/J. Yes, there were several people involved in the hand who had him covered. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Will this work in no limit party poker $25? If so how high do y0u think this will make the biggest profit?

Will this work in no limit party poker $25? If so how high do y0u think this will make the biggest profit?
This is ideal for NL25 on Party . . its a fish tank there.

Somebody mentioned that you only get a pocket pair once in every 120 hands, and flop a set once in every 8 of those?so you only have the opportunity to push in once every 960 or so hands? And if those only get called once every three times or so, that means you get paid off once in every close to 3,000 hands? Don't blinds eat you good after 3,000 hands? Somebody correct my math... I may be using fabricated numbers...

It's like any game. Either select a table that fits your playing style, or adapt your playing style to the table.The general answer to your question is no. It will not work. Generally, $25nl tables are too tight at PP. If you find a table that is not too tight, then yes, it does work. I can very comfortably say, though, that there is a lot more money to be made on the looser tables by employing a broader playing style (like the one Smash uses himself, not this one which is advocated for beginners (or just bad players)).Try higher limits, like 2x-4x $25nl. They are usually looser. Also, <$25nl on UB, for instance, is looser, but then the answer to your "how high" question is not very exciting: Not very much since there is no money on the table...

I'm thirsty for some punch. I play mostly live, and generally only play tournaments online, but I will try this when I get home tonight, which unfortunately will be late.

Somebody mentioned that you only get a pocket pair once in every 120 hands, and flop a set once in every 8 of those?so you only have the opportunity to push in once every 960 or so hands? And if those only get called once every three times or so, that means you get paid off once in every close to 3,000 hands? Don't blinds eat you good after 3,000 hands?  Somebody correct my math... I may be using fabricated numbers...
Whoever said that is wrong.You pocket pairs 6 times every 100 hands. You flop a set one out of 8 times you get a pocket pair.This means you make a set about once every 130 hands.And remember we're pushing with AA and KK preflop.So you should get paid off a lot more frequently than 1 in 3000 hands.