UTG is semi-LAG. He raises the right hands preflop but he limps too much. He also calls with almost any pair to the river (usually checking and calling) and will bet them if you check to him.15/30 (9 handed)I get 5 :club: ,5 :D on the button.UTG raises and its folded to me, I 3-bet, blinds fold, UTG calls.flop is T :D ,3 :) ,7 :) UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.turn is the 7 :) UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.river is the J :D UTG bets...

If he raises with the right hands, why are u 3betting w/ 55?????At this point u have to fold unless he's capable of making this type of bluff (this bluff rarely works). I personally have only tried it a couple times and had it work once. It's not a profitable bluff unless u know the other guy has no pair and is capable of folding high cards. The guy probably had aj

I was wondering about the PF 3-bet myself. I left out 99, and included hands like AJ and KJ to be on the generous side. UTG, he's probably raising:AA-TT - 5 x 6 = 30AK-AJ - 3 x 16 = 48 KQ - 1 x 16 = 16KJs - 1 x 4 = 4For simplicity, let's assume that whoever's ahead on the flop goes on to win.Of the 68 non-pair hands that he could be raising with, you're ahead on the flop 60% of the time he does not flop a pair and 3.75% (12.5%x30) of the time he flops a pair and you flop a set. For the 30 paired hands he's raising with, you're ahead only when you flop a set and he doesn't ~ 11%.For 98 hand combinations, you win about 41.5 of them (38.25 + 3.3). So you're only ahead on the flop about 42% of the time.So, if you're raising just because you're likely to be ahead on the flop, this isn't a good play.I'm sure you have good reasons for 3-betting this PF wrto, and I would like to hear them.Also, I think a fold is in order here on the river. I think a bluff raise if useless, since you're only beating AK, AQ, and KQ here.

If he raises with the right hands, why are u 3betting w/ 55?????At this point u have to fold unless he's capable of making this type of bluff (this bluff rarely works). I personally have only tried it a couple times and had it work once. It's not a profitable bluff unless u know the other guy has no pair and is capable of folding high cards.  The guy probably had aj
Daniel Negreanu did something similar in the Party Poker Million with 55.Barry Greenstein opened with a raise from UTG with the K :club: 9 :D and Daniel 3bet the 55.E-Dog laid down AQ in the seat behind Daniel.So there's another reason you 3bet 55 with position.
For 98 hand combinations, you win about 41.5 of them (38.25 + 3.3). So you're only ahead on the flop about 42% of the time.
You're position and visibility, I suspect, will win you a lot more bets those times you are ahead than what you'll lose those times that you are behind.
Barry Greenstein opened with a raise from UTG with the K  9  and Daniel 3bet the 55.  E-Dog laid down AQ in the seat behind Daniel.  
You're position and visibility, I suspect, will win you a lot more bets those times you are ahead than what you'll lose those times that you are behind.
Good points.I guess since we're not getting the odds to hit a set with our 55, this is a raise/fold situation, no?

I was wondering about the PF 3-bet myself.I left out 99, and included hands like AJ and KJ to be on the generous side.UTG, he's probably raising:AA-TT - 5 x 6 = 30AK-AJ - 3 x 16 = 48KQ - 1 x 16 = 16KJs - 1 x 4 = 4For simplicity, let's assume that whoever's ahead on the flop goes on to win.Of the 68 non-pair hands that he could be raising with, you're ahead on the flop 60% of the time he does not flop a pair and 3.75% (12.5%x30) of the time he flops a pair and you flop a set.For the 30 paired hands he's raising with, you're ahead only when you flop a set and he doesn't ~ 11%.For 98 hand combinations, you win about 41.5 of them (38.25 + 3.3). So you're only ahead on the flop about 42% of the time.So, if you're raising just because you're likely to be ahead on the flop, this isn't a good play.I'm sure you have good reasons for 3-betting this PF wrto, and I would like to hear them.Also, I think a fold is in order here on the river. I think a bluff raise if useless, since you're only beating AK, AQ, and KQ here.Ludcrously overthought.You bet the flop because the likelyhood he might fold is greater than the ratio of your bet to the size of the pot.That's it.If you're ahead 42% of the time, which you should realize is compeltely arbitrary, the bet is good. If he lays down a better hand like AT 1 time in 20, the bet is good.Savvy?

Ludcrously overthought.You bet the flop because the likelyhood he might fold is greater than the ratio of your bet to the size of the pot.That's it.If you're ahead 42% of the time, which you should realize is compeltely arbitrary, the bet is good. If he lays down a better hand like AT 1 time in 20, the bet is good.Savvy?But do you still bet the turn? I don't. I would check the turn, and call a river bet or check the river if he checks infront.You?EDIT: Also, checking the turn may induce a bluff from AK or AQ etc on the river.

Ludcrously overthought.
You don't perform this kind of analysis during every hand your involved in? :shock: My game is not at the point where I can confidently 3-bet a hand that I know will probably be behind on the flop, without a thorough understanding of why I'm doing so. This thread has helped me understand the basics of the play.If the blinds fold, your 3-bet is getting the right price, and your opponent will put you on a smaller range of good hands, increasing your fold equity on the flop and later streets. Am I on the right track? Anyway, I don't mean to sidetrack this thread on what seems to be a pretty standard 3-bet preflop. The play after the flop is the interesting part of this hand.
Ludcrously overthought.
You don't perform this kind of analysis during every hand your involved in? :shock: My game is not at the point where I can confidently 3-bet a hand that I know will probably be behind on the flop, without a thorough understanding of why I'm doing so. This thread has helped me understand the basics of the play.If the blinds fold, your 3-bet is getting the right price, and your opponent will put you on a smaller range of good hands, increasing your fold equity on the flop and later streets. Am I on the right track? Anyway, I don't mean to sidetrack this thread on what seems to be a pretty standard 3-bet preflop. The play after the flop is the interesting part of this hand.
Agreed. The 3 bet pre-flop is the best choice. It gets out the blinds that may straggle in with 6-7 or 6-9 and hit a pair that beats you etc.I love the bet on the flop, but as I've said I'd check the turn and call a river bet ( if its not a stupid card like a 10 or an Ace, in which case i'd fold. ) but checking the turn lets you show down the hand for the same price of betting the turn. Smash is on point though, about saying he can't give AK or two overs a free look, but the pot is still decently small and I wouldn't kick myself over checking the turn and folding a river bet when an ace comes.