how did ivey play so bad???

i know it was 4 hours or so of heads up but i did expect better out of him. ivey looked and played like crap. he needs to wake up and play some poker. some of his mistakes were just things to do with "instinct" but some other plays were just horrible. some plays he made were obviously not good.

its funny how you can look at the name of this post and run its course in your mind...step 1-man phil sucked tonight2 well he doesnt care about tourneys the money is not important to him3 thats no excuse4-phils better than all of us so shut up how many final tables have you made huh??

I've never been a huge Ivey fan personally, not that I think badly of him necessarily either, we all know he's a good/great player....My roomate jocks him though, which makes it easier for me to friendly "hate" on him a little all in good fun when he chokes it all up..... and from seeing him play a number of times I just dont get all the hype about him from time to time, but there's no question doubting his skill, unfortunately he just can never close the deal at a final table and this match pretty much proved that he has trouble doing so (to me) with his ENORMOUS chip lead in the end which should have been a cake walk had he picked good spots to get his money in rather then a draw when he probably, if not undoubtably knew he was behind in the hand, and probably a big dog to catch the cards he needed.....From what they showed of the match though Lisandro was getting some nice pockets to work with.All in all I was pulling for Phil and thought it would have been nice to see him win, though its always nice to see a huge comeback like that.P

Mind you this heads up play was over 4 hours long. I remember it was at least that long because I was following it on cardplayer.com.
Actually I think the heads up was 2.5-3 hours, the amount of time playing total was around 12 hours.It's easy for us to critique the play knowing the result and not having played with a player for hours on end to see what types of cards he was playing and what types of raises he was folding to. If Lisandro folds people say Ivey made an amazing read and play. Now let's all enjoy some chocolate frosty milkshakes.
unfortunately he just can never close the deal at a final table P
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 1st $ 635,603 Championship Poker, Verona 1st $ 500,000 2003 Bellagio Five-Star World Poker Classic WPT Championship, Las Vegas 1st $ 66,930 2003 Bellagio Five-Star World Poker Classic WPT Championship, Las Vegas 1st $ 58,782 33rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2002, Las Vegas 1st $ 107,540 33rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2002, Las Vegas 1st $ 118,440 33rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2002, Las Vegas 1st $ 132,000 2002 L.A. Poker Classic, Los Angeles 1st $ 79,550 31st World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2000, Las Vegas 1st $ 195,000 True enough. That dude just can't close.

Phil Ivey is universally regarded as the best poker player in the world. In fact, Lisandro called him that during the show. Though many of you want to believe that you can play perfect poker, and thus justify your desire to become professional gamblers, there is no such thing.Lisandro got all his money in raised pots with 2nd pair, twice. If Ivey had a king or a queen on either of the respective hands, which he easily could have (don't tell me he had a read on Ivey, because you simply can't get that read), then everybody is calling Lisandro a donkey and Ivey a genius. It's not like Lisandro was holding the nuts and unfoldable hands.Bottom line, poker is played with imperfect information and the best player RARELY wins. Judge players on what they do over a long period of time, not on one final table heads up.

unfortunately he just can never close the deal at a final table  P
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 1st $ 635,603 Championship Poker, Verona 1st $ 500,000 2003 Bellagio Five-Star World Poker Classic WPT Championship, Las Vegas 1st $ 66,930 2003 Bellagio Five-Star World Poker Classic WPT Championship, Las Vegas 1st $ 58,782 33rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2002, Las Vegas 1st $ 107,540 33rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2002, Las Vegas 1st $ 118,440 33rd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2002, Las Vegas 1st $ 132,000 2002 L.A. Poker Classic, Los Angeles 1st $ 79,550 31st World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2000, Las Vegas 1st $ 195,000 True enough. That dude just can't close.
I didnt think he'd ever won a WPT event...but perhaps those are in the smaller events, and not the main events as Im pretty sure he's never won any of the final tables ive seen him at, and I've seen him at atleast 5....I havent seen him win anything since I've been watching poker towards the end of 2002 actually, and I've seen him at quite a few final tables, so it was just my observation as you would think one time I would haeve seen him come through....Also, all of his wsop bracelets are great accomplishments, particularly 3 in one year as beinga record, but none of them are in no-limit hold em' which is the only game I care to follow currently, and the one I assumed we were talking about...I hear 7 card stud is really his game....Not trying to bag on you poker hero, just expressing my opinion that the guy has trouble closing....If you dont think he does, cool-P.
I've never been a huge Ivey fan personally, not that I think badly of him necessarily either, we all know he's a good/great player....My roomate jocks him though, which makes it easier for me to friendly "hate" on him a little all in good fun when he chokes it all up..... and from seeing him play a number of times I just dont get all the hype about him from time to time, but there's no question doubting his skill, unfortunately he just can never close the deal at a final table and this match pretty much proved that he has trouble doing so (to me) with his ENORMOUS chip lead in the end which should have been a cake walk had he picked good spots to get his money in rather then a draw when he probably, if not undoubtably knew he was behind in the hand, and probably a big dog to catch the cards he needed.....From what they showed of the match though Lisandro was getting some nice pockets to work with.All in all I was pulling for Phil and thought it would have been nice to see him win, though its always nice to see a huge comeback like that.P
ivey is god....if you doubt this you must be destroyed, and yes, i am drunk thanks for asking..

The head up play was a few hours or whatever, but they really only showed the 3 big hands. The first one, Phil played the flush draw in a big pot w/ commanding chip position. Lisandro wins, then the edit and then Ivey is right back where he started before he played the flush draw. That says he was finding it easy to chip up on Lisandro. So, he gets a straight draw and plays that. He probably figured that even if he misses it's even chips, and he can go right back to work wearing Lisandro down. Misses the straight draw. Then the 92 hand, it's a very ballsy bluff, but he was probably thinking that Lisandro didn't have a big enough hand to go all in w/ their chip positions so close. Lisandro made the call, oh well. I don't think Ivey played as badly as you think. Three big hands out of dozens is all they showed.

It was pretty sloppy, also, Lasandro calls w/ 4's full of tens like he shouldve Ivey finishes 10th !One thing we as students of the game must realize, These pros certainly do play differently than one another. There is a lot of "play by the seat of his pants" or "feel" Play by Ivey. Also a lot of gamble in Phil. I think its gets him big stacks and many money finishes but when he gets to final tables players generally play more solid than him and take turns biting chunks from that stack w/ solid +EV hands.But who am I to question his play? Ive never even played in a major...loljust callem as I seesem...