I am a experienced player and have been running a home tournament for 2+ years now. One of the things I am trying to deal with is not winning my own tournament. I have spoken with friens that run their own as well and they agree it is very tough to run, deal with the issues, handle all questions, manage everything and still be productive in your own tournament. Does anyone else see this? I play good cards but maybe the level of stress, hoping all runs well etc, is part of my concentration issue.Just wondering if other are experiencing the same thing.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com

I am a experienced player and have been running a home tournament for 2+ years now. One of the things I am trying to deal with is not winning my own tournament. I have spoken with friens that run their own as well and they agree it is very tough to run, deal with the issues, handle all questions, manage everything and still be productive in your own tournament. Does anyone else see this? I play good cards but maybe the level of stress, hoping all runs well etc, is part of my concentration issue.Just wondering if other are experiencing the same thing.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com
I had similar problems...now I make the money fairly consistently. Stick with it.g
Guest Anonymous
I have noticed the same thing, which incidently is why I always take friends up on the offer to host as opposed to doing it myself now. I find when you are running a tournament, you are always involved in the proceedings. Making sure the game runs smoothly ensures that you always have a vocal, noticable presence at the table, which is not necessairly what you want. Always being the one to pipe in and ensure that people place their bets properly, play when its their turn, etc. causes people to pay more attention when you are in a hand, causing them to play better against you then they normally would as they are extra paranoid about making mistakes.Basically, you can't blend into the background if you so choose, which can be a serious handicap depending on the flow of the game.
yep.. I've ran 40 player tourny's.. and its impossible to play a solid game while running the show. If you wanna play for free, that is the best bet, u should have free entree for running it.
yep.. I've ran 40 player tourny's.. and its impossible to play a solid game while running the show. If you wanna play for free, that is the best bet, u should have free entree for running it.
Yep very tough, mine don't exceed more than 32, mainly because of the size of my basement. I appreciate the comments.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com
Havn't been real quick to take a freeroll to my own tournament, but my attitude is changing toward that way as I run everything, update the site, buy the extras, so why not. Thanks for the advice.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com
LOL - just for laughs, does hosting a tournament increase your skill level an decrease variance? I mean, if its easier to win one you host than one you would go to, I think I'll start hosting more.Seriously - get a system together that essentially runs itself so you can concentrate on the game.
LOL - just for laughs, does hosting a tournament increase your skill level an decrease variance? I mean, if its easier to win one you host than one you would go to, I think I'll start hosting more.Seriously - get a system together that essentially runs itself so you can concentrate on the game.
Seriously I do have a good system, Tournament Director is very helpful, spreadsheets for payouts, etc, I was just wondering what others thought about the level of concentration in order to win. I myself tend to finish better at other tournaments hosted by others. BUT don't get me wrong, I enjoy hosting them and having a good time with friends, I JUST WANT TO PLACE! haha Maybe this week I will get lucky. Thanks for the advise.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com

At the home game I play in, we do a bunch of $25 and $50 freezeouts but I find my concentration was not there this time because it seemed I was stuck either dealing or shuffling every spare minute. Some of the other players were new to the game, and hold em in general and it was painful to watch them f up the deal. I usually beat this game up pretty good, but I was really frustrated and played like crap this time. I will not do that again.

At the home game I play in, we do a bunch of $25 and $50 freezeouts but I find my concentration was not there this time because it seemed I was stuck either dealing or shuffling every spare minute. Some of the other players were new to the game, and hold em in general and it was painful to watch them f up the deal. I usually beat this game up pretty good, but I was really frustrated and played like crap this time. I will not do that again.
My concentration is always f-ed up at my own game, I just can't get past it. I have tried to stop getting in discussions, handling issues, and dealing with unruly people. I just let it play out. Like I said, I am preparing for this weekend, hhhhmmmmmm, hhmmmmmmm, hmmmmm, gotta relax and let the game come to me, I WANT TO F-IN WIN! Thanks Michael Vick, a.k.a.Ron Mexico.DPRCEO :club: www.danspokerroom.com

I also find this to be true. My friends tease me constantly because I used to win almost weekly when I first started hosting a few years back. Now that my tournies are around 20-40 guys, I haven't won in probably 6 months. I don't know if it's the responsiblity of hosting, the more relaxed environment of being around friends, or just bad play, but I win games elsewhere and am doing better online than in the past year. I guess I'll have to host less and/or play more seriously. Good luck with whatever adjustments you make.

My concentration is always f-ed up at my own game, I just can't get past it. I have tried to stop getting in discussions, handling issues, and dealing with unruly people. I just let it play out. Like I said, I am preparing for this weekend, hhhhmmmmmm, hhmmmmmmm, hmmmmm, gotta relax and let the game come to me, I WANT TO F-IN WIN! Thanks Michael Vick, a.k.a.Ron Mexico.DPRCEO :club: www.danspokerroom.com
You know. DPRCEO.. you sound like a very organized and successful person.You use The Tournamentdirector.net software??.. anyways. what you can start doin, is organize everything, set it up, but then kick back and play. Even though its your venue, you should try the "commi" approach and let everyone figure it out, maybe get someone to run the software, have someone else colour up chips., w.e. works.,Just try not too feel like the game will crash if you dont rush around.

We have weekly tourneys in my area and have been very successful so far. Each table has an assigned dealer who plays at the same time. I am good at doing both at the same time. We do all the chipping up and moving players during breaks. It also help that most of the players are knowledgeable and rarely have a problem at any table.

I have a tourney about every 6-8 weeks. Anywheres from 24-30 players @ 3 tables. Have dedicated dealers at each table and use TD. I think it is very difficult to run the show and play well. If you really want to ensure a well run event you can't really focus on playing. Surprisingly, or maybe not, some of the players that have come in the money the most are the guys dealing. I also supply all the drinks and food. I take a cut from all the buy ins and rebuys and I except voluntary contributions towards the food. Results: I am playing for free, most of my expenses get covered and everyone has a good time. I don't host my own Tourney to make money ( although it would be nice to win). If I want to win some dough I invite about 7-9 guys over for a cash game. Just a simple no frills affair.

I have a friend that does ok... he hosts tourneys and maxes em out at 40 (4 tables).He supplies food, hires dedicated dealers, buys a couple kegs, and charges $75 buy in.. Then pays out top 5.Things go smooth until the final table. Everyone's watching and drunk and yelling "raise the blinds!" every 5 minutes. The scheduled blind intervals go in the crapper quickly which sucks if you're shortstacked.Also, I can't convince them that heads up dealer is small blind. Seems every group i play with they do it backwards...

i have a friend who runs a monthly game of at least 24 and usually 32 players. he seems to do pretty well.* he uses dr. neau's software to manage the buyins and blinds* he gets someone else to host the game each month* he puts someone else in charge of counting out extra chips for rebuys and add ons once the game starts; he only collects the money* he lets the top four finishers at the previous game be the dealers of the 4 tables unless they want to give up the job* he settles disputes only if the dealer at the table cannot do so* he also doesn't take any shit from anyone about his decisions, and is pretty fair and respected for that* he ignores everything else but his own play and does not drink* takes a bite out of the prize pool for his trouble, which some people disagree with and some supporti would add that if you have people who come to your game to get drunk first and play poker second, you should quietly remove them from the invite list.

i have a friend who runs a monthly game of at least 24 and usually 32 players. he seems to do pretty well.* he uses dr. neau's software to manage the buyins and blinds* he gets someone else to host the game each month* he puts someone else in charge of counting out extra chips for rebuys and add ons once the game starts; he only collects the money* he lets the top four finishers at the previous game be the dealers of the 4 tables unless they want to give up the job* he settles disputes only if the dealer at the table cannot do so* he also doesn't take any censored from anyone about his decisions, and is pretty fair and respected for that* he ignores everything else but his own play and does not drink* takes a bite out of the prize pool for his trouble, which some people disagree with and some supporti would add that if you have people who come to your game to get drunk first and play poker second, you should quietly remove them from the invite list.
I totally see what you guys are saying, I am not in it to make money especially with only maybe 32 guys. I am trying to win, which is not working. haha. We do not have designated dealers at the tables, the deal rotates which has worked well for a long time. It keeps everyone involved, gets people to learn how it all works, even the newbe's learn fast. Since my next game is Friday, I will let you all know how I did and where I placed. I appreciate all your comments and will work hard to win. I do enjoy the company as I am a Hold 'Em degenerate and love the game. Our season wraps up soon and the top 16 go to the final game, as I will be one of them there is a good chance I could take home (or leave in my home that is) my own trophy, which I won't mind. Thanks again all.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com
At the home game I play in, we do a bunch of $25 and $50 freezeouts but I find my concentration was not there this time because it seemed I was stuck either dealing or shuffling every spare minute.  Some of the other players were new to the game, and hold em in general and it was painful to watch them f up the deal.  I usually beat this game up pretty good, but I was really frustrated and played like crap this time.  I will not do that again.
You know. DPRCEO.. you sound like a very organized and successful person.You use The Tournamentdirector.net software??.. anyways. what you can start doin, is organize everything, set it up, but then kick back and play. Even though its your venue, you should try the "commi" approach and let everyone figure it out, maybe get someone to run the software, have someone else colour up chips., w.e. works.,Just try not too feel like the game will crash if you dont rush around.
If you go to Homepokertourney.com there is a link to many things, including The Tournament Director, or just the site http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/. I have found it to be the most user friendly program, as well as free! Successful, sure, with tournaments run at my house, not my play. Organized, yes, I use to scramble to get things done, now preperation helps alot to remove stress, but still trying to be "the go to guy for everything" has cost me in my play. I will take yoru advice and see how it goes, deligation is key.DPRCEOwww.danspokerroom.com