home game structure - skill or luck??

well basically, I like to play with a large number of chips in a home game - like 1500 chips and 5/10 blinds to start. Many home games i play in is in a cash-game format (pay $5 and get $5 worth) but you cant leave during the game (tourny style). My question is: Do you think low, slow-structure blinds with a large starting chips is more fun than large blinds with relatively few chips? and do you think its more skillful?PS - i know its quicker and you get more games in with less chips.....but is it as skillful?

Absolutley not. Higher starting chip counts and lower blinds allow good players to play after the flop, which as any good player will tell you, is what makes them better than the other players. Any donkey can find AA or AK or 10-10 and push it in before the flop, especially when you have $5 in chips and the big blind is $0.50. But it takes more skill to play your hand after the flop and make the right decisions. Having more chips and lower blinds discourages big moves pre-flop ( most of the time ) and encourages post-flop play. This is part of the reason people say Pot-Limit hold'em is alot more difficult than No-limit hold'em. Because the structure encourages post-flop play.

DCSports92GSR Posted: Sat, Aug 6th, 2005 5:29 Post subject: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Absolutley not. Higher starting chip counts and lower blinds allow good players to play after the flop, which as any good player will tell you, is what makes them better than the other players. Any donkey can find AA or AK or 10-10 and push it in before the flop, especially when you have $5 in chips and the big blind is $0.50. But it takes more skill to play your hand after the flop and make the right decisions. Having more chips and lower blinds discourages big moves pre-flop ( most of the time ) and encourages post-flop play. This is part of the reason people say Pot-Limit hold'em is alot more difficult than No-limit hold'em. Because the structure encourages post-flop play
Huge fan of PLH because it lets more skillfull players dictate the size of the pots with there own bets.

I think it's pretty clear that starting stacks + blind progression can distinguish players.I've been playing in a 950 chips to start with 10/20 blinds escalating every 20 minutes. The esculation in blind size is 2x....it's all in an effort to get the game moving quicker. But the reality is it makes the games all about luck. I find myself exiting these games on draws very often, and it is very frustrating. However, no matt er what the structure...a skillful player should be able to adjust and that is what i have spent a lot of time on these boards trying to handle.

Chip structure can make an enormous difference in how a player plays. The same highly skilled player could appear as the tightest and loosest player in a game depending on chip structure and which strategy is most appropriate.

Higher Starting Chips/Lower, Slower blinds= good player's advantage.I start my tournaments with 5,000 in chips and blinds at 10/20, going up every 30 minutes (badass, I know).I do the blinds like this:10/2020/4025/5050/10075/150100/200200/400300/600I have the greatest structure ever, in my opinion, for a home tournament. Rebuys are unlimited and allowed until the bubble burst, this means that usually (with the caliber of players in this game), that a seven person tournament will have about 12 buy-ins worth of money in the pool by the end of the night.

Higher Starting Chips/Lower, Slower blinds= good player's advantage.I start my tournaments with 5,000 in chips and blinds at 10/20, going up every 30 minutes (badass, I know).I do the blinds like this:10/2020/4025/5050/10075/150100/200200/400300/600I have the greatest structure ever, in my opinion, for a home tournament. Rebuys are unlimited and allowed until the bubble burst, this means that usually (with the caliber of players in this game), that a seven person tournament will have about 12 buy-ins worth of money in the pool by the end of the night.
Wow, how many guys play? Our home structure has been $1500 starting chips with almost the exact same blind structure as yours (1 more level) with 1 rebuy within the 1st 4 levels. The tourney has been taking 5-6 hours with around 15 guys. How long do yours last?
Do you mean by the end of the second night?

Well the games usually last about 4 hours or so, intense stuff.........we try and play at the highest level possible (that doesnt mean folding AK pre-flop to a raise) usually there are a couple of games per night (7am job as any poker player knows) so i think personally that the slow structure blinds system is longer, harder but alot more fun and ALOT more skillful.