how could i have escaped this?

Playing in a no limit holdem tournament today. 491 players, we were down to top 75 or so. I had a $5600 or so chip stack which was slightly over average, but was dominated by the chip leader at my table who had $26000, mainly gotten by getting dealt pocket Kings three times in an hour. I am in mid/late position and have A-8 suited. I call the big blind of $300 to see a flop. Late position is the Big stack, he calls, big blind calls. Flop is 5-8-2 rainbow. I have no flush but I do have top pair top kicker so I bet the min bet $300 since its checked to me by the big blind. Big Stack calls, Blind folds.Turn is a 10. I now am out of position and an over card just hit, but I don't see the big stack with a 10, I figure him on AQ or something. I bet the min $600, still trying to get a feel. He calls.Turn is an Ace. There is no flush on the board, there is a straight if he kept 3-4, but I don't see that, so I decide it's time to take a chunk of his stack with my two pair and I bet $2000. He rereaises me all in. I put him on the ace, figuring he's happy he hit the ace and now he can scare me back out after (by his reckoning) I just tried to buy the pot. I call, and he flips over pokcet 8's, so I lose to a set of 8's with my Aces and Eights.So, what did I do wrong here? As a fairly new player, I just don't see a big problem with the way I handled the hand and tried to read him. I'm definately looking for some good constructive critcism here. How do I catch someone slow playing me like this?Ray

Well that situation sucked and the ace just sscrewed you harder, nevertheless you didnt play it perfect. Your flaw is in the minimum bet. That tells you nothing, he could be calling minimum bet with bottem pair, mid pair, top pair, backdoor flush draw, straight draw (yes even 34), over cards, etc etc. You gotta bet harder for information, if you had bet say 800 you'd know a lot more and if he just smooth calls a big bet like that alarms should be going off in your head

Well that situation sucked and the ace just sscrewed you harder, nevertheless you didnt play it perfect. Your flaw is in the minimum bet. That tells you nothing, he could be calling minimum bet with bottem pair, mid pair, top pair, backdoor flush draw, straight draw (yes even 34), over cards, etc etc. You gotta bet harder for information, if you had bet say 800 you'd know a lot more and if he just smooth calls a big bet like that alarms should be going off in your head
Maybe. My feeling in the min bet was that I expected him to raise me if he had something, but maybe that was not the right tactic to take...Ray

Bet more.I don't like your minimum bet here on the flop. You should bet about 75% of the pot, if he calls then you will know he's pretty strong. This will enable you to bet the same amount on the turn card and get a read if he's got you or not. Don't bet 75% again, just bet the same dollar amount (it will be less, relative to the pot size.). This will tell him that you are strong and he wont want to re-raise you. After hitting two pairs on the river, I think you can check/call. Or just bet the pot and hope to not get re-raised. I think if he re-raises you here you've got to feel beat.Tough hand though. It's always hard to play against sets.That's why they have such great implied odds.

Maybe. My feeling in the min bet was that I expected him to raise me if he had something' date=' but maybe that was not the right tactic to take...Ray[/quote']Why would he check-raise you on the flop if he had something??? Check raising is more for the turn/river cards. You won't get check-raised too early in a pot b/c they don't want to scare you out. Obviously, he played his set wonderfully. He would have never check-raised with a set on the flop.

Fold to the river bet. Bet less on the river.You don't want a fold here if he hit AK, you want a medium sized value bet, like 500.This betting pattern should smell funny to you the whole way along.He's not going to push with just the A. I'd have assumed this was a set if you hadn't posted the results.Your flop and turn play are fine.