common leaks in hold'em

I'm curious about what leaks you've recently discovered or corrected in your game. It'd be interested to see, and maybe there'll be some stuff that I'm currently doing wrong that I haven't thought of.For me, the most recent improvement I've made to my game is to learn to fold liberally when the pot is small. I think I've lost too much money calling down with marginal hands in a small pot, even in situations where I feel likely to have the best hand.

Here is a simple concept to play marginal hands: raise or fold. Calling just ask for trouble.The idea of folding liberally in small pot is good but that's playing with the mentality of "breaking even." You want to win every pot that you play, or at least that should be your goal. The only way you're going to get better is if you fight for your share of small pots. Moreover, playing with great starting hands do not usually win big if you are not at least decent post-flop and small pots is where you develop your reads. And you need to win enough small pots in case your AA or KK gets cracked, which can be fairly expensive.

Yeah when I say fold liberally in small pots, I generally mean in pots that I either limp in with or am in the SB/BB.Like limping with A7 suited and pairing my 7 with only 2BB in the pot and a bet to me. Or checking in the BB with Q9o against the button and SB, flop comes KQ10 and SB bets into me. That sort of thing.When I raise pre-flop with a good starting hand, I'll continue taking the lead on the flop, even in a relatively small pot.

Last leaks I fixed.1. While in a losing session I would have the mentallity that "everyone is bluffing me" and call all those river bets. Recently working on fixing that, steaming off my chips is never a good idea.2. Tight is Right - Sorry guys... Just doesn't work, especially 5/10 - 10/20 shorthanded. The rocks break even at best, win a little on some sessions but I don't know how they consider themselves very profitable.3. Aggresiveness - I consistently am working on toning is down to perfection, most the players are too aggresive and I find that to be a leak in there games as well, finding the medium is my next goal and im working on it quite a bit.

The idea of folding liberally in small pot is good but that's playing with the mentality of "breaking even." You want to win every pot that you play, or at least that should be your goal. I disagree with this, though. Trying to win every pot you play is an easy way to spew chips. I play to win pots that are worth trying to win.Here's an example, and tell me what you'd do here. You're in the BB with K8o and it gets folded around to the SB, a somewhat agressive player. He limps, and you check. Flop comes 986 with 2 diamonds (you have no diamonds). He bets out, and you're 75% sure you have the best hand. What do you do?I gladly fold.

The idea of folding liberally in small pot is good but that's playing with the mentality of "breaking even." You want to win every pot that you play, or at least that should be your goal. I disagree with this, though.  Trying to win every pot you play is an easy way to spew chips.  I play to win pots that are worth trying to win.Here's an example, and tell me what you'd do here.  You're in the BB with K8o and it gets folded around to the SB, a somewhat agressive player.  He limps, and you check.  Flop comes 986 with 2 diamonds (you have no diamonds).   He bets out, and you're 75% sure you have the best hand.  What do you do?I gladly fold.
You sir, Are an idiot I hope you are joking here.

What are you talking about? What's the value of staying in this pot? You could be up against a flush already, at least a flush draw, and maybe a straight draw. Even if you're ahead now, are you going to call down when the 4th diamond hits, or a 10 or 5?

What are you talking about?  What's the value of staying in this pot?  You could be up against a flush already, at least a flush draw, and maybe a straight draw.  Even if you're ahead now, are you going to call down when the 4th diamond hits, or a 10 or 5?
Your post said 2 diamonds on the flop. The 3rd has to hit before the 4th does.Middle pair with 2 diamonds on the flop against an aggressive player, I'm raising. With no hesitation.
Not to mention you may be up against the 9 already, and overcards on the turn and river are also dangerous.UPDATE: oops, just noticed that example said 2 diamonds.  I meant 3.
Ah, slightly different story. I'm still raising.

I'm still raising.Doesn't seem like much of an edge to push, even heads up. But hey, I play 10 player tables, so what do I know about taking flops heads up...What about just calling to see if a bad card develops on the turn. If the turn is blank, speed up with the double-sized bet and push a larger edge?

"looking for a reason to fold"this is some of the worst advice that I have come across. YOu really should be looking to push every small edge that you have in LHE, and if you come across a negative ev play, then you fold

"looking for a reason to fold"this is some of the worst advice that I have come across. YOu really should be looking to push every small edge that you have in LHE, and if you come across a negative ev play, then you fold
Shorty do you want to play headsup anytime in the near future? I'm open...
Shorty do you want to play headsup anytime in the near future? I'm open...
That was my, not WRTO, But I am sure he's up for it as well.

Most recent one I noticed was cold-calling with small to medium pairs in small pots. With zero visibility it's pretty hard to tell if you have the best hand or not. Then when I hit a set I wouldn't get paid off enough to make up for the times when I didn't... there's a reason you want lots of people in the pot with speculative hands. Jeff