playing against poor players

First off, I'd like to say Hi, this is my first post on this forum.I just wanted to get your feelings on the following statement my friend made yesterday. I'm not sure where he heard it, but after yesterday I think that I believe in it to some extent."You need good cards to beat bad players"

Believe the statement from your friend.Most bad players are calling stations and you have to wait to get a hand to show down to beat them. Fancy checkraising in limit or betting the pot in NL to shut them off their draws won't work......because their cards are soooted.

So....you need bad cards to beat good players?
Actually the rest of it went something like, "but you can beat good players with bad cards."

you need cards against bad players bc they will call you down with any pair and half the time with ace high. They cant be bluffed, and they have no clue about odds so they will chase gutshots or sets down to the river and when they hit they are gonna win a big pot...so when a fish is catchin you in troubleagainst a good player you can play the odds against him...they arent going to necessarily play a bottom pair or ace high against consistant bets...they know the odds and arent gonna chase a gut shot unless they have other outs also...Good player are capable of laying down a hand if necessary which can be a good/bad thing for you as the are also capable of out playing you

Well, true they may call you down with anything. That means, however, that the majority of time theyre missing their draws or you have them outkicked. The only reason that line holds any reasoning is because sometimes theyll flop two pair/some insane boat/or catch their flush/straight. Of course the good players remember this and then they moan and complain and it stays with them. We seem to forget all the times when the odds hold up.

The reason you need good cards to beat bad players because majority of the people out there will steam when they raise pre-flop with AK or AQ and bet on the flop and gets called. Then they noticed that the bad play made a weak call and continue betting on the later streets. However, since the player is bad, he/she will not give up their bottom pair.Actually, I want to write more but I just realized your friend sucks at poker.

The reason you need good cards to beat bad players because majority of the people out there will steam when they raise pre-flop with AK or AQ and bet on the flop and gets called. Then they noticed that the bad play made a weak call and continue betting on the later streets. However, since the player is bad, he/she will not give up their bottom pair.Actually, I want to write more but I just realized your friend sucks at poker.
OK. My friend has 3 tournament wins (NL Hold'em) in the last 2 months playing only twice a week.
OK. My friend has 3 tournament wins (NL Hold'em) in the last 2 months playing only twice a week.
If you want to talk stats, make sure to state what the buy-in is and the size of the field. I got top 3 in my first 5 sit-n-go but it was a joke. I would be more impressed if he is killing the cash game playing twice a week.