$10 mtt on party last night...some thoughts (long)

First off, did anyone play in the $10+1 MTT on Party Poker last night at 8:30 PM EST? If so my ID is the same as the on here on FCP...Anways, I decided to play this tournament last night because I really didn't have anything to do. I usually stick to the $50NL cash games but wanted to give one of these tournaments a shot. 1767 entrants were registered with first paying over $3600. I really didnt care about any other money finishes besides 1-4 which paid over $1000 so that played into my strategy as the tournament progressed.When it started, I found junk for cards. I literally did'nt play ONE single hand, not even my blinds since they were being raised, for the first 3 rounds which is about 45 minutes. My stack went down to 920 from the original 1000 from being blinded out until the following hand came up:I was dealt A :) Q :) on the button (not the greatest hand, but after seeing so much garbage the first 3 rounds it looks like aces) and raise the blind to 90 (BB is 30 at this level). Blinds fold and i get one caller.FLOP: 9 :) 7 :) 9 :) POT SIZE: 225Player checks, I bet out 200 to try and take the pot right there. Player calls, this worries me since I am now putting him on a low pocket pair.TURN: Q :) Player checks, with 625 in the pot i decide to push all-in here with top pair and kicker. He calls instantly and shows KQ. My patience in the early rounds pays off and I double up. I was about twice the average chip stack at this point and remained that way for 2 more rounds until this hand came:Blinds (25/50)I get dealt A :) 4 :club: in the BB, 2 limp in, SB completes, and I check. FLOP: 8 :D 4 :) 2 :D SB checks, I make a pot sized bet ( I dont believe the other two hit this flop), 2 limpers fold, and SB calls.POT SIZE: 600TURN: 9 :) SB checks, I decide he is on some type of straight draw or has a weak 4. I have him covered by about 500 and decide to push him all in to take the pot right there. I was suprised when he calls immediately and shows pocket aces!!! I am thinking now that my tourney is all but over unless....RIVER: 4 :D And that is why you don't slow play aces....I double up again and now sitting pretty with 9000 chips where the average stack is around 3800.With the blinds increasing and my chip stack a good size, I made several successful blind steal attempts and remained in good condition. With the blinds at 400/800 I attempted another blind steal with K :) J :) with a 2400 chip raise. I got one caller who was on the button.FLOP:9 :) 7 :) 9 :) I lead out and bet 5000 into a 5600 pot. Player calls after a few seconds.TURN: 8 :) I check and am willing to give the pot up to a sizeable bet, player checks also.River: K :) Good card for me, but i decide to check and am willing to only call a bet because his hand smelled fishy like A9 or A7. Player bets out 15000 and I call instantly. He shows pocket threes! Lucky river for me and I win about a 50,000 pot putting me in the chip lead with about 180 left.Another hand put me over the top when i had 2 players go all in before me and i called with pockets aces. It held up.As the blinds increased, my cards got cold and i eventually was around average chip stack when I picked up AQ to the right of the dealer and raised it to 27000. The SB goes all in for 65000 total and I decide I have to call. He has JJ and it holds up. That hand cripples me and I eventually am out in 24th place after 4 hours of play and won $100 for my efforts.As those blinds increase, you really have to pick your spots. Coin Flip situations are the key to surviving as you must win a few of them. You have to be willing to risk your chips if you want to have a shot at the top prize. If you are just content with making the money, that is just what you will do. I wanted the big prize so my mind set was on playing aggressive when I had the chips. In the end, 24th out 1767 wasn't too bad.

Blinds (25/50)I get dealt A :club: 4 :D  in the BB, 2 limp in, SB completes, and I check.  FLOP: 8 :D 4 :) 2 :D  SB checks, I make a pot sized bet ( I dont believe the other two hit this flop), 2 limpers fold, and SB calls.POT SIZE: 600TURN: 9 :)  SB checks, I decide he is on some type of straight draw or has a weak 4.  I have him covered by about 500 and decide to push him all in to take the pot right there.  I was suprised when he calls immediately and shows pocket aces!!!  I am thinking now that my tourney is all but over unless....RIVER: 4 :)  And that is why you don't slow play aces....I double up again and now sitting pretty with 9000 chips where the average stack is around 3800.With the blinds increasing and my chip stack a good size, I made several successful blind steal attempts and remained in good condition.  .
Best.Fish.Quote.EverHe obviously saw how you played recklessly throughout the tourney and induced a bluff. It worked, but you hit a 2 outer!After the flop you are 9% to winAfter the turn you are 4.6% to winIf you like those odds, we should play sometime

Best.Fish.Quote.EverHe obviously saw how you played recklessly throughout the tourney and induced a bluff. It worked, but you hit a 2 outer!After the flop you are 9% to winAfter the turn you are 4.6% to winIf you like those odds, we should play sometimeI played recklessly? Didn't I clearly state that I had not played a hand for nearly 45 minutes and each time I was in the pot I took it down? I never showed a bluff or any hand that I used to steal blinds. I know I should have lost the pot here, obviously if he raises my blind I fold but he limps in with 3 others in front of him. I never slow play aces and because I stated that I am a fish?? I never said that I liked my odds to win, I said I wanted to take the pot right there since I put him on a straight draw. Obviously If I had known what he had I would'nt be there in the first place. I guess by your definition, if anyone cracks aces, they are fish. Then this forum must be a big ass aquarium.

Best.Fish.Quote.EverHe obviously saw how you played recklessly throughout the tourney and induced a bluff. It worked, but you hit a 2 outer!After the flop you are 9% to winAfter the turn you are 4.6% to winIf you like those odds, we should play sometimeI guess by your definition, if anyone cracks aces, they are fish.  Then this forum must be a big ass aquarium.
No, you said that is why you should't slow play aces. Why exactly? Because he got you to put all your money in with two outs? Is that why we don't slowplay aces?
Blinds (25/50)I get dealt A :club: 4 :D  in the BB, 2 limp in, SB completes, and I check.  FLOP: 8 :D 4 :) 2 :D  SB checks, I make a pot sized bet ( I dont believe the other two hit this flop), 2 limpers fold, and SB calls.POT SIZE: 600TURN: 9 :)  SB checks, I decide he is on some type of straight draw or has a weak 4.  I have him covered by about 500 and decide to push him all in to take the pot right there.  I was suprised when he calls immediately and shows pocket aces!!!  I am thinking now that my tourney is all but over unless....RIVER: 4 :)  And that is why you don't slow play aces....I double up again and now sitting pretty with 9000 chips where the average stack is around 3800.With the blinds increasing and my chip stack a good size, I made several successful blind steal attempts and remained in good condition.  .
Best.Fish.Quote.EverHe obviously saw how you played recklessly throughout the tourney and induced a bluff. It worked, but you hit a 2 outer!After the flop you are 9% to winAfter the turn you are 4.6% to winIf you like those odds, we should play sometime
Exactly what I was thinking. It's hands like this that show why you should sometimes slowplay aces into such a motley board. It's much more likely in this situation that someone will bet a good second best than actually have a hand that beats aces. And such second-bests will usually be drawing to only five outs...or even fewer, in your case.
Guest Anonymous
With the blinds increasing and my chip stack a good size, I made several successful blind steal attempts and remained in good condition.  With the blinds at 400/800 I attempted another blind steal with K :club: J :D  with a 2400 chip raise.  I got one caller who was on the button.FLOP:9 :D 7 :) 9 :D  I lead out and bet 5000 into a 5600 pot.  Player calls after a few seconds.TURN: 7 :)  I check and am willing to give the pot up to a sizeable bet, player checks also.River: K :)  Good card for me, but i decide to check and am willing to only call a bet because his hand smelled fishy like A9 or A7.  Player bets out 15000 and I call instantly.  He shows pocket threes!  Lucky river for me and I win about a 50,000 pot putting me in the chip lead with about 180 left.
Horrible call.

Alright, I'll renig my orinal theory. I PERSONALLY never slow play aces after I had been busted by a 2-outer myself. I just thought in this situation where the SB with the aces decides to limp in with 3 in front of him was a risky move. Of course, if everything works out according to probability, the guy with aces should take down the pot. But correct me if I am wrong, with more players in the hand, doesn't the Aces have a better chance of getting cracked? I like to isolate my opponents to one or two and make a nice bet on the flop to get rid of any draws. In this case, yes I was EXTREMELY lucky to hit my 2-outer on the river and send the guy home. The way he played was fishy IMO. Even after the flop he checks and then just calls my bet, then checks again on the turn. My question for you all here is, if you had limped in like he did, what kind of betting would you have pursued?

Obviously everyone beat me to the "slowplay Aces" line, but I loved this one as well"With the blinds at 400/800 I attempted another blind steal with K J with a 2400 chip raise. I got one caller who was on the button. FLOP: 9 7 9 I lead out and bet 5000 into a 5600 pot. Player calls after a few seconds. TURN: 7 I check and am willing to give the pot up to a sizeable bet, player checks also. River: K Good card for me, but i decide to check and am willing to only call a bet because his hand smelled fishy like A9 or A7. Player bets out 15000 and I call instantly. He shows pocket threes! Lucky river for me and I win about a 50,000 pot putting me in the chip lead with about 180 left. "Lucky River? You had him dominated on the turn, his pair was counterfeited. I can't believe he bluffed with 2 pair, 3 high, but the river card was immaterial. You would have won if a 4 had come off the deck.Anyway, hello FCP members, I look forward to pointing out problems in all of your posts someday.

Lucky River?  You had him dominated on the turn, his pair was counterfeited.  I can't believe he bluffed with 2 pair, 3 high, but the river card was immaterial.  You would have won if a 4 had come off the deck.Anyway, hello FCP members, I look forward to pointing out problems in all of your posts someday.
Thanks, I just noticed that I had the turn card as another 7. It was actually an 8. That would've been a retarded statement to say "Lucky River" Thanks for registering to point that mistake out.
Good card for me, but i decide to check and am willing to only call a bet because his hand smelled fishy like A9 or A7
Thanks, I just noticed that I had the turn card as another 7. It was actually an 8.
Ya, I'd be afraid of A7 here too...