5 handed 2/4 aug 2nd

Yea, I do think I missed a bet against this guy...but against a more solid player, better player...do you think this river still warrants a bet?- Jordan
Solid = Yes. But I can't see what a solid opponent would have there that would beat us.The two kinds of opponents I'd be worried about are the tight-passive ones who would have A-5 or something here (not a solid opponent), You know, the kind of opponent who misses a ton of bets (in this case, he'd be threatened at the 3 heart board)... the other kind of opponent would be the one who would check a better hand on the river hoping to check raise (again, not too solid).The above situations seem slight, given that it's 5 handed, so 2 aces being dealt to 2 different opponents doesn't happen often.

Well, maybe I am wrong about this one if the games are truly as soft as you all claim them to be. Since it has been ages since I've played in games with blind people before it just seems like a nutty bet. I should qualify it I guess, by saying that if you try a value bet like that against Ray D., David O., Jennifer, Joe C, or any knowledgeable limit hold'em player it isn't such a good bet. So again, I'll concede that I'm probably wrong about this one, but man it just doesn't seem like poker to me...

So again, I'll concede that I'm probably wrong about this one, but man it just doesn't seem like poker to me...
That's what makes it so much fun and profitable for us!I for one would be positively intrigued if you made up a throwaway Partypoker screen name, put 300 dollars on it, got Pokertracker, and posted the stats on 10,000 hands of .50/1 limit.But of course I respect your time... and your skill as a player. No matter how not-low-limit your advice is... I'll always respect your opinion and you don't need to prove yourself to me.But I do think it could conceivably help your game when you're playing rich donkeys who know nothing about poker in some tournament sometime.
Well, maybe I am wrong about this one if the games are truly as soft as you all claim them to be. Since it has been ages since I've played in games with blind people before it just seems like a nutty bet. I should qualify it I guess, by saying that if you try a value bet like that against Ray D., David O., Jennifer, Joe C, or any knowledgeable limit hold'em player it isn't such a good bet. So again, I'll concede that I'm probably wrong about this one, but man it just doesn't seem like poker to me...
No, I agree with you. His call on the turn when the flush card hit basically rules out a flush, and leaves a straight draw / naked heart draw or an ace. Since on the end, 2 of the 3 above ( the straight draw and the ace ) has us beat, I like the check. If he was drawing and missed, you aren't getting a call from him, and It would be super lose for him to call on teh end with a hand like 7x7h or Kx-10h. I'd personally check that river all day long.EDIT: Just noticed he had the ass end straight draw. The one that DIDN'T get there on teh end :club:
against a thinking player there's no way in hell that I'm betting this because a CR bluff on that river is just way too likely and then we would have no choice but to fold, but this is party 2/4, so the donktard factor at this level is extremely high. I'm not betting this river at 15/30 or 10/20, and that's where I start to check the river
...hehe, if only i posted more hands from my 5 max games...you'd be like...what? why? oh it hurts.sometimes it does (hurt)...butmost of the time people are just bleeding away chips.- Jordan

Value bet this without a doubt. Until players do something to astound me, i label them donks at this level pretty much no matter what. I also would not fold to a check raise on the river either, too many players will c/r with 1010, JJ, or a weak K. You completely have to adjust your styles to the competition, and in this spot you will not only be called by worse hands but they will also raise you.

Value bet this without a doubt. Until players do something to astound me, i label them donks at this level pretty much no matter what. I also would not fold to a check raise on the river either, too many players will c/r with 1010, JJ, or a weak K. You completely have to adjust your styles to the competition, and in this spot you will not only be called by worse hands but they will also raise you.
See, thats where I think a problem lies. Instead of giving the player credit until he proves otherwise, you give him NO credit, until he shows you he can play.I'd much rather give them credit and lose a small pot, then not and lose a big one. Untill a player shows me he CAN'T play, I'll automatically watch him and assume he CAN until he shows me otherwise.
brian67 wrote:Value bet this without a doubt. Until players do something to astound me, i label them donks at this level pretty much no matter what. I also would not fold to a check raise on the river either, too many players will c/r with 1010, JJ, or a weak K. You completely have to adjust your styles to the competition, and in this spot you will not only be called by worse hands but they will also raise you.See, thats where I think a problem lies. Instead of giving the player credit until he proves otherwise, you give him NO credit, until he shows you he can play.I'd much rather give them credit and lose a small pot, then not and lose a big one. Untill a player shows me he CAN'T play, I'll automatically watch him and assume he CAN until he shows me otherwise.
Just depends on your philosophy i guess. The problem with giving everyone credit is that the vast majority of low limit internet players are terrible. Back when i did give more players credit i lost out on more bets than i do now by assuming the opposite. Just to be clear, the player doesn't have to pull a move on me for me to give credit, so often it does not cost me anything either way. The majority of the hands that you base your opinions on are hands that you were not even in.
  • 2 weeks later...

I fail to see any value in a bet there, with those cards showing. What do you think this guy will call you with that you have beat at that point? A bet will serve one of two things IMO - you will lose one extra bet (maybe even two if he checl-raised you and you called) or he will fold (indicating that you were winning anyhow so you didnt need to bet on the river possibly risking the extra bet or two). 8)