why playing poker for a living is clearly sinful

a girl walking around with very little clothing trying to attract attention to herself sexually would be considered a sin. However lets say a girl on some tropical island walks around with barely anything on, it's not a sin if shes just trying to keep cool.
Ooo that little s**t. If a guy posts a message on a poker board to attract attention to himself, is that sin?Oh, I forgot, he's doing it in the name of God, so it's all well and good, while that little s**t with no clothes on is just looking for a good f**k right?
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He tries to start arguments and upset people. Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words. ---or---An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

Like most things in the christian faith its why you do things not what you do. For instance lets consider this, a girl walking around with very little clothing trying to attract attention to herself sexually would be considered a sin. However lets say a girl on some tropical island walks around with barely anything on, it's not a sin if shes just trying to keep cool. When you play poker ask yourself why your playing. Is it to have fun? Or is it to take other people money. God put us on this earth to do something productive, not to sap off other peoples entertainment. Im not trying to say gambling is immoral, its why your doing in that makes it moral or immoral. So your thinking, "I play poker for fun and if i make money at it its just a nice side effect" ok thats fine keep playing and enjoy the game. However when you devote your life too it (or too much time to it) and you dont do anything else productive, then you are commiting a sin. And dont give me any of that crap about barry greenstien, lets see him donate a percentage of his cash game winnings and then well talk.
Please go away.

This post has gotten waaay too long already. I'm sure I don't have much to contribute to it, other than the fact that I think tritz has the only reasonable/logical post in this thread.

seems to me the aetheist's have the best arguments in the forum, could it be the christians are in deniel on this subject? there was a post about how it doesnt matter what your job is as long as ur not sinning wile doing it, and were alreayd clear that poker playing isnt inherently sinful, my reply is that wile poker playing s not sinful, playing poker for the sole purpose of taking everyone else at the tables money is, thereforur siining wile u work. by the way I am a recreational player, make abou 200-300 a month playing SNG's and 5 card stud. i play for the enjoyment and competetion not the money. Most of it goes to various charities, along with everything else I have.
Wow, so everyone that disagrees with you is either an atheist or is a christian in denial? Get over yourself man. You take money out of the starving college student's mouth every time you spike that ace on the river, so should I save a seat for you with me in hell to catch one kickass rock concert with cobain, dimebag darrell, lennon, and any other great musicians that will die before we do?

Poker is a game like any other, money is simply the means of keeping score. So no matter if you are playing for fun or not, you're always playing to win the money. Therefore by your logic no one should play poker at all.

Christianity can be basically boiled down to thus:Do unto others as you would have done to yourself.The rest can be considered commentary.If everyone were to take this tenet of Christianity seriously, the world would be a better place...To those "hard hearted" people out there, remember, Christians are supposed to be following the example set by Christ, who lived a sin free life. But in the Bible it states no one lives a sin free life, so not one Christian is ever a true representative of God, or how God intend's us to live. In fact, many Christians could be considered anti-Christ, not the anti-Christ, but anti in the fact that they run counter to true Christian beliefs. Satan also makes it a habit of "infiltrating", or trying to infiltrate, the churches of the world. :twisted: This is where he does his best work as it keeps many who would believe out of church. Satan will need good control of the Church for the coming Apocalypse etc. If you think this is all Bull$hit, feel free to think that way, but you should educate yourselves anyway on Christianity, especially concerning Armageddon and such which is in Revelations. Why? Because the most powerful man in the world, George W. Bush, believes in it and it is actively guiding our foreign policy. Many Christians believe that Armageddon is near, and they are praying for it every day so they can be Raptured away and be in company with Christ for eternity, all while God unleashes his wrath upon the world's sinners. Once you learn about this crucially improtant part of the Bible, you will know why lots of Christians act the way they do, and why America acts the way it does when it is led by someone who believes.

Ya i see your point but my God likes crafty people. remember the father with the sons and he gave them part of there inheritance before he left on his trip and the son who charged interest was the one god most favored or maybe it went like this he gave it all away then when he got fired he went back to the merchant and said hey remember me and they said oh ya your the guy who gave us all that money that wasn't yours and now we cant wait to help you, how smart and Goid loved that guy. Sorry my rendision of the stories is so lame but it's been a while since i've opened the good book. god Bless.

• 10 years later...

Like most things in the christian faith its why you do things not what you do. For instance lets consider this, a girl walking around with very little clothing trying to attract attention to herself sexually would be considered a sin. However lets say a girl on some tropical island walks around with barely anything on, it's not a sin if shes just trying to keep cool. When you play poker ask yourself why your playing. Is it to have fun? Or is it to take other people money. God put us on this earth to do something productive, not to sap off other peoples entertainment. Im not trying to say gambling is immoral, its why your doing in that makes it moral or immoral. So your thinking, "I play poker for fun and if i make money at it its just a nice side effect" ok thats fine keep playing and enjoy the game. However when you devote your life too it (or too much time to it) and you dont do anything else productive, then you are commiting a sin. And dont give me any of that crap about barry greenstien, lets see him donate a percentage of his cash game winnings and then well talk.

first of all it sounds like this is an opinion not a real answer to the question. Here it is from a pastors mouth.

""If you want to play poker for a job there is nothing wrong with it as long as you treat it as a job.""

Meaning it is ok as long as long as you dont get addicted or are addicted to it

if It doesnt controll your life its ok but if it does meaning if it consumes you and you have to play every minute of evey day then its a bad thing for you to do.Or if it affects your life in a negative way

read this

1 Corinthians 6:12

I am free to do anything I want, but some things are not good for me to do. I am free to do anything, but I will not become a slave of anything

Also

1 Corinthians 10:23

I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive.

Treat it like a job and there is nothing wrong with it. If it takes over your life then its wrong.