sitting out a sit and go

just wondering for a one person nl he sit and go with 9 players1. If you sat out the whole thing what ave place do you think you would finish and what percentage would you finish 2nd or 3rd manually folding not sitting out2. If you sat out for 20 minutes and then played how many people would you figure would be left and how much of a disadvantage do you think you'd be at assuming you studied the others betting patters3, if you doubled up early and sat out how would this affect one and two

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, you will never make the money by sitting out, so don't try it. I play SnGs full time, and Ive seen this tried. When we get to 4 handed, I simply suggest to the others that we blind out the guy sitting out before battling each other. I've folded AA preflop to ensure someone sitting out does not make the money.Secondly, sitting out the first 10 min isnt too harmful, but don't sit out any longer than that. Once the blinds start going up, you'll be losing chips that you're going to need. If you're sitting in front of your pc, however, studying betting patterns, there is really no good reason to sit out.I've seen people who will sit out until they get a playable hand, then sit down just in time, hoping to induce action this way. It's really kind of pitiful to see the lengths people will go to gain an advantage on their opponents. When I see people doing this it tells me they are not confident enough in their own abilities and they feel they need an edge, and look for absurd ways to gain that edge.Even doubling up early then sitting out will not get you in the money.

i've seen sng's where someone sat out and got 3rd money twice.......no one at the table was interested in blinding the guy out. weird.

First off, you will never make the money by sitting out, so don't try it. I play SnGs full time, and Ive seen this tried. When we get to 4 handed, I simply suggest to the others that we blind out the guy sitting out before battling each other. I've folded AA preflop to ensure someone sitting out does not make the money.Secondly, sitting out the first 10 min isnt too harmful, but don't sit out any longer than that. Once the blinds start going up, you'll be losing chips that you're going to need. If you're sitting in front of your pc, however, studying betting patterns, there is really no good reason to sit out.I've seen people who will sit out until they get a playable hand, then sit down just in time, hoping to induce action this way. It's really kind of pitiful to see the lengths people will go to gain an advantage on their opponents. When I see people doing this it tells me they are not confident enough in their own abilities and they feel they need an edge, and look for absurd ways to gain that edge.
While I also hate the fact that someone who is sitting out may place in the money, what you suggest is even worse. If you openly suggest that everyone fold so that the person sitting out does not make the money, that is called collusion, and you can and will get banned from the site you're playing on. However, if you choose to muck AA or any other strong hand so that person does not make the money, that is perfectly okay and up to you. I can't see why you would do that though. With AA you're an 80% favorite against random holdings, and you would most likely be losing out on gaining chips that will help you win.

When I first started playing I'd usually place around 500th out of 1k. One day there was a glitch and I couldn't play and folded my way into ~250th. It was a great incentive for me to learn more about poker strategy once I learned that I was a better player doing nothing than when I actually tried. Since then I've learned there are lots and lots of players who'd do far better in poker if they just stopped playing.

One time I was in a SNG on Party (I believe it was a $30) and was having such bad connection problems that I was losing my connection every 3-4 hands. This was driving me crazy and holding up the game, so I just basically quit. I later found out that I finished 3rd. After this I tried an experiment and signed up for a $5 SNG and didn't play. I figured these players should be worse than the $30 players and I might cash again. It didn't work, as I finished 5th. I didn't try it again, but if you really want to know what happens, try it in a cheap SNG and figure you are just losing "curiousity money", or try it for play money.

same thing happened to me slosh. I was getting to be a very short stack with the blinds at 50/100 and me sitting there with less than 300 chips. With me and 5 other players remaining, i pick up QQ on the button and my connection goes haywire. THEN the battery on my laptop got all jacked up and my computer shut off. I was very pissed off since i finally got a great hand to push with. Well, 3 hours later i find out that i finished 2nd! It was a 20 dollar sit n go so i ended up winning 60 bucks. I later found it through the hand history that after my QQ got folded, on the very next hand 3 people went all in and then the chip leader called with AKs and hit the nut flush. A couple hands later i was all-in in the big blind and ended up tripling up and on the next hand the chip leader eliminated the other player before we played heads up.

When the 3 players decide to blind the guy whos not playing out by folding to the blind, and raising his bb.. thats called collusion, and its illegal on online poker sites
Just to play devil's advocate, how would this differ from the process of making a deal at the end of a MTT?
When the 3 players decide to blind the guy whos not playing out by folding to the blind, and raising his bb.. thats called collusion, and its illegal on online poker sites
Just to play devil's advocate, how would this differ from the process of making a deal at the end of a MTT?
Because a deal MUST include everyone at the table, if one person does not agree to the deal it cannot be made until that person is eliminated.So in this case, the person who is sitting out is not included in the deal - therefore making it illegal.

Actually, you can use other players sitting out to great advantage at a sng. In my experience it really magnifies the bubble effect and you can pick up a lot of blinds by making sure they have to choose between putting their tournament life on the hand or waiting for the guy sitting out to bubble. But then again, I dont really play high stakes sngs, so I dont know if it really carries over.

honestly if someone is sitting out i think he forefits the right to be involved and if people want to blind him out so be it. honestly i don't care if it's illegal or not. sit out at my table and i'll try and blind you out. and if you want to call that collusion whatever, but that's a fine line your drawing. one that honstly i see as very shaky in this circumstance. i think the person sitting out is essentially trying to cheat the system anyway and i think that if the other players are not discussing there actual hands and just make a blanket statement that says let's just blind him out, then so be it.time to pay the piper.

it isnt illegal, its against the rules of the site, the fbi isnt going to show up at your house or anything
Oh really???? I'm sending you this message from prison.
hahaha
honestly if someone is sitting out i think he forefits the right to be involved and if people want to blind him out so be it. honestly i don't care if it's illegal or not. sit out at my table and i'll try and blind you out. and if you want to call that collusion whatever, but that's a fine line your drawing. one that honstly i see as very shaky in this circumstance. i think the person sitting out is essentially trying to cheat the system anyway and i think that if the other players are not discussing there actual hands and just make a blanket statement that says let's just blind him out, then so be it.time to pay the piper.
People who hate sitters are stupid.People who think sitters are gaining some advangate are stupid.People who think sitters are in any way "cheating" are stupid.A sitting out person is the very definition of dead money. Not liking them means you don't like money.A person who has paid their entry fee has every right to let themselves blind off.
so u are saying when u are in a tourney with 4 players left and 3 of them decide out loud to team up and knock u out that is OK?

At FullTilt you used to be able to hit the "Fold to Any Bet" button and sit out the rest of the SNG. Pissed me off the first time I saw someone do that.They have since changed the software so the button resets itself after every hand. Someone caught on to what people were doing and put a stop to it. Now they actually have to push the fold button. Bummer dude.

Well, I found out the hard way not to sit out if you don't have to.Playing in a cheap multi-table SNG and hit the "sit-out" button in order to auto-fold, while I had dinner. Thought I could just hit "I'm Back" if somehting good came along.This worked ok until I was first to act. Looked up and saw AA, reached for the mouse, and clicked just as the hand auto-folded.As luck would have it, 3 players went all-in, and KK won a tremendous pot.I'll be kicking myself for a day or two.

honestly if someone is sitting out i think he forefits the right to be involved and if people want to blind him out so be it. honestly i don't care if it's illegal or not. sit out at my table and i'll try and blind you out.  and if you want to call that collusion whatever, but that's a fine line your drawing. one that honstly i see as very shaky in this circumstance.  i think the person sitting out is essentially trying to cheat the system anyway and i think that if the other players are not discussing there actual hands and just make a blanket statement that says let's just blind him out, then so be it.time to pay the piper.
People who hate sitters are stupid.People who think sitters are gaining some advangate are stupid.People who think sitters are in any way "cheating" are stupid.A sitting out person is the very definition of dead money. Not liking them means you don't like money.A person who has paid their entry fee has every right to let themselves blind off.
i agree, and also agree that if everyone else wants to blind them out they should be able to. i think it's a disadvantage ot sit out, but i also think it' s annoying.
honestly if someone is sitting out i think he forefits the right to be involved and if people want to blind him out so be it. honestly i don't care if it's illegal or not. sit out at my table and i'll try and blind you out.  and if you want to call that collusion whatever, but that's a fine line your drawing. one that honstly i see as very shaky in this circumstance.  i think the person sitting out is essentially trying to cheat the system anyway and i think that if the other players are not discussing there actual hands and just make a blanket statement that says let's just blind him out, then so be it.time to pay the piper.
so u are saying when u are in a tourney with 4 players left and 3 of them decide out loud to team up and knock u out that is OK?
umm. no not at all; to clarify this I have to say i am partly just playing devil's advocate in this argument. I think stting out, gives you a disadvantage and is ultimately a bad idea. but if you sit there and fold every hand unless, it's top 10 then really it's no different. And that i find to be something i have done on lots of occasions.regardless, i think if you are sitting out, then your blinds should be stolen, i don't htink that the other players should stop the game, and fold all cards and take turns stealing your blinds. I think that is disgusting, but i do think somoeone should steal your blinds. But that is common sense. I've never actively tried to get a table to stop playing in order to blind someone out. But it is a common practice to check down a flop with someone who is all in against multiple opponents. It is implied, but still collusion in the sense you are referring to.anyway i think sitting out sucks, but in the end of the day i think you are only huritng yourself.