need computer help with online poker fraud

2. Your brother, or friends, logged on to a computer, and it remembers the password, and then someone else has used that computer, with the ID and password already entered This is probably what happened. I did this one time and got screwed with. My own dumbass fault. But like everyone else said....don't give anyone your password.JZ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you that it's not you or your friends. It's pretty likely there is someone else in that house who is able to pickup passwords once the computer is used. Are there any computer savy teenagers in the house? Or their girlfriends? I've even heard of bored baby sitters thinking they'll be lucky but losing!

also if u read my story clearly it says that the activity in the account occured from 3am to 11am wednesday. the two people that do know the info have 9-5 jobs that i would think would prevent them from playing at these hours
we read it clearly.
Guest Anonymous
only you and two other friends know his password?? hahano one should know you password.
In the computer security industry we call this a keyboard error, and it is the source behind 99% of all online theft and fraud.A keyboard error occurs when someone without sufficient common sense sits behind a keyboard and begins using a computer. To prevent this from happening, ban that individual from being able to touch a keyboard.
only you and two other friends know his password?? hahano one should know you password.
In the computer security industry we call this a keyboard error, and it is the source behind 99% of all online theft and fraud.A keyboard error occurs when someone without sufficient common sense sits behind a keyboard and begins using a computer. To prevent this from happening, ban that individual from being able to touch a keyboard.
It is very troo.99% of the time a computer problem is located between the keyboard and the chair.

Another two less likely possibilities include: 1. Someone online decided they don't like your brother and managed to guess his password because it's the same as his User ID, or it's his dog's name, or something like that. my brother actually thinks this may be the case. he says he has dogged some players pretty hard recently. he has changed his password to something not very simple, so if this was the case i doubt it will happen again. when he hears from fulltilt about the IP info ill reply on this thread, bc either alot of u who are blasting me will be right about it being a friend, or u;ll be wrong , in which case i would like u to apologize for being such rude pricks :club:

Another two less likely possibilities include: 1. Someone online decided they don't like your brother and managed to guess his password because it's the same as his User ID, or it's his dog's name, or something like that. my brother actually thinks this may be the case. he says he has dogged some players pretty hard recently. he has changed his password to something not very simple, so if this was the case i doubt it will happen again. when he hears from fulltilt about the IP info ill reply on this thread, bc either alot of u who are blasting me will be right about it being a friend, or u;ll be wrong , in which case i would like u to apologize for being such rude pricks :club:
So, what your brother has concluded, in his infinite wisdom, is that he has angered some people in online poker rooms, and in their fury they targeted him, guessed his password, and engaged in a mission to win him some money......Do you think a jury would buy that?It was either you or your friends, or one of the four of you, intentionally or unwittingly, gave the password away. I'd bet a lot of money that the IP is tied to a PC in one of your houses.Here's your best case scenario - your brother shares a PC with someone else...that someone else logged in, and logged in as your brother (because his ID and password were remembered on screen), but he didn't realize this and thought he was logging in as himself.That's your best-case scenario....and I doubt it very much.Intentional or not, malicious or not, the source of this problem is one of the four people you say know the password....not a well-executed hack job as you'd like to believe.
tx for the help or advice. i forgot most of you are probably teenagers whose friends really would do something like this. for the most part, adults do not.
You are perhaps the most naive person I have ever met in my life.I'll tell you what I do for a living.Computer security....enforcing it, tracking it, and, most importantly, making recommendations to the end user.The bottom line is, no matter how much technology you put in place, FULL responsibility goes to the end user, and that includes the very simple task of NOT telling anyone your password, AND, not having a password that is simple to guess.I highly doubt this person's laptop/computer has been hacked, nor do I believe FullTilt's database was hacked.There are three large possibilities:1. It was you2. It was your friends3. You or your friends, accidentally or intentionally, told someone else the passwordAnother two less likely possibilities include:1. Someone online decided they don't like your brother and managed to guess his password because it's the same as his User ID, or it's his dog's name, or something like that.2. Your brother, or friends, logged on to a computer, and it remembers the password, and then someone else has used that computer, with the ID and password already entered Here's the bottom line...80% of all hacking in the corporate world is done from INSIDE the company. It's no different anywhere else....an inside job is the most likely scenario - and I don't care how much you trust your friends.I guarantee you that if one person knows your password, 20 people do.As far as the fact that they are "adults".I'm older than you and your friends, and I see this activity performed by other adults (also supposed friends) every day. I see executives, with 7 figure incomes and multiple university degrees, share their passwords with other executives with university degrees, and I see those other intelligent adults, who are their friends, engage in corporate espionage with their new information.The fact that they work 9-5 is irrelevent.The whole "fraud" bit doesn't make sense.Someone hacked into your brothers account, randomly, and tried to make him money????Give your head a shake.It's very simple...Full Tilt will be able to give you the IP of the person playing those hours...then, in about 35 seconds, you can check your friends' home and work PC's to see the source. They will also be able to determine any transfer information on the money.Are you perhaps going through this roundabout way to learn about hacking possibilities so you can give your brother some viable technical explanation, to take heat off the fact that it was you who used his account without his permission?
I can verify this response. I have worked in the networking and Internet world for over 10 years now doing network engineering and security for most of it and %80 of the time it's an inside job. If you are able to get the IP you will be able to find out what ISP the person uses and if you're lucky what area that IP is being used in. Then it's just a matter of asking your friends what ISP they use and I'm sure you'll have you're suspect.
tx for the help or advice. i forgot most of you are probably teenagers whose friends really would do something like this. for the most part, adults do not.
What a dumb fuc.king statement to make.

Has nothing to do with a firewall... This is a simple case of either you having auto-login enabled and someone having physical access to your machine, or someone flat out has your password. I'd be more worried about somone having your password than a hacker stealing money from your comp, especially if they won money. It doesnt have anything to do with an unencrypted wireless network either. Though if you have one, you should encrypt it.

I heard a highly secure password is your birthday, no one guesses that. I always use 1234 as my PIN also.
NO WAY!!! That's the code to my luggage lock!
You guys aren't gonna believe this, but...In the number system that I personally use, the first four nonzero digits are1, 2, 3, and 4.... IN THAT EXACT ORDER!!!some freakin coincidence, huh? Small world, man. Wow.Mensch

its been 24hrs since our last contact with full tilt. they are not responding with an ip address so far. by the way, the 90 bucks is not important, but we want whoever did this to be caught and busted. if it is another player on fulltilt who steamed and guessed his password, or even a friend, we want them banned from playing at fulltilt. the reason we think it is someone guessing his password is that his dumbass made his password literally 50% of his username, so it would not have beeen that hard to guess.

if the login is something obvious you may wanna consider that. I know someone who used to get into aol accounts by searching for the grateful dead in profiles and using jerry as a password. Or better yet try password as a password, you'd be surprised.What i wanna know is Full Tilt should have recods of every IP adres you use as well as your CPU signature. Its the reason if you login to your account on your freinds comp you can't play the same tables together. Can you get that IP adress? Did you try? WIll they tell you where it came from? I'd really like to know if they help you out. They should be able to.

if the login is something obvious you may wanna consider that.  I know someone who used to get into aol accounts by searching for the grateful dead in profiles and using jerry as a password.  Or better yet try password as a password, you'd be surprised.What i wanna know is Full Tilt should have recods of every IP adres you use as well as your CPU signature. Its the reason if you login to your account on your freinds comp you can't play the same tables together.  Can you get that IP adress? Did you try? WIll they tell you where it came from? I'd really like to know if they help you out. They should be able to.
damn. to late. please let me know what happens
my brother actually thinks this may be the case.  he  says he has dogged some players pretty hard recently.   he has changed his password to something not very simple, so if this was the case i doubt it will happen again.  
That makes no sense.If the person was trying to get back at your brother he wouldn't play to win. He'd find as high a NL HU table as he could, and proceed to chip dump off all of his chips and then repeat it until you were broke.More likely one of your friends got curious and played.

if it is another player on fulltilt who steamed and guessed his password, or even a friend, we want them banned from playing at fulltiltI imagine they'll ban then right after they ban your brother's account.Please tell me this post is a joke, right?I was once staying with ten people all smoked in bed, and the house burned down.We assumed it was lightning striking a chiclen and setting it on fire and then the chicken flying into the ous.. That was the only reasonable explination, right?

Adults or not, this is one of your friends. There's no hack, no underhanded play, its someone you know.While you say that you're the only ones who have the password (which is idiotic to begin with) I'm guessing one of you told someone else or its an inside job.If you really want help though, call the FBI and tell them how the account has been compromised and how multiple people have the password. I'm sure they'll start the investigation right away.

well we didnt mention to fulltilt that two other friends know his password, as they would probly act the same as many of u posters... they have responded saying they are looking into the matter but that it will take time for them to get all the ip info, so we can only wait....ps. why are people so negative towards us for this? most of u act as if something like this could never ever happen, without it being an inside job. i put this post on here for advice , support, etc.. but really havent got much at all

ps. why are people so negative towards us for this? most of u act as if something like this could never ever happen, without it being an inside job. i put this post on here for advice , support, etc.. but really havent got much at all
The reason is because it doesn't make any sense. Why would someone hack into an account and then win a few sitngos, and then lose only $90 in cash games. The point of hacking an account would be to steal the money! Not to sit online and play for eight hours in the middle of the night. Was there a withdrawl or anything like that? Have you considered what the others said, that you logged on at a friends house, and then the next time that friend tried to log on your info was still filled in and they didn't realize it? That seems the most reasonable to me..
If you all have good jobs and make plenty of money, why do you care about 90$?
That's absurd. I think OP is more concerned about who was on the account than $90. Most log in pages on gaming sites have a check box for remembering your id and password so you don't have to type it in again. It's strictly for convenience, but it can cause problems like we're discussing here.