mrniceguy's blind hand #5

I find that I do much better in full ring games than I do at 6-max tables, and I think the reason is that my postflop blind play is not very good in heads-up situations, when I'm defending against a steal or when I get called or raised when I'm trying to steal. So I thought I'd post some hands where I was unsure of how to play postflop. Advice greatly appreciated.I open-raise from the SB, but get played back at. Check-calling felt weak, but I didn't want to put too many bets in out of position. Any suggestions? (I thought about c/r-semibluffing the turn, since I figured I probably had 17 outs.)I don't have much of a read on villain - he seems a tad loose-aggressive preflop, and somewhat passive postflop; but I'm not totally confident on that.Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) converterPreflop: Hero is SB with [Qh], [Ts]. 1 fold, Hero calls.Flop: (6 SB) [8c], [Ks], [3s] (3 players)Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls.Turn: (4 BB) [6s] (3 players)Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls.River: (6 BB) [2h] (3 players)Hero checks, planning to fold .....

If I'm calling the flop with nothing I'm making a play on the turn.I don't like your call on the flop because of the action on the turn. You could have bet into him on the turn, or raised him. Maybe just lead the flop and see how he reacts.He probably has Ace high, and some people will call you down, but other times you can get them to lay down.- Jordan

If I'm calling the flop with nothing I'm making a play on the turn.
LOL - I had been thinking that I had a gutshot straight draw, both during the hand and up until now - but KQJT8 isn't a straight, is it....I feel like what's-his-name during last year's WSOP.....Ok, should I just fold the flop? I'm probably behind with 6 outs, and I could be drawing dead.

Yeah...sorry...misread. Didn't see that you picked up that flush draw.And yeah, the flop call is really weak unless it's an image thing.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) converter Preflop: Hero is SB with [Qh], [Ts]. 1 fold, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls. Flop: (6 SB) [8c], [Ks], [3s] (3 players) Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls. Turn: (4 BB) [6s] (3 players) Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls. River: (6 BB) [2h] (3 players) Hero checks, planning to fold .....I think you have been way to passive, you don't have much of a hand so you either need to get the guy to fold or get out. Raise on the flop if he calls then check/fold. That is how I would play it. PS please critic my play as I am learning too

I don't understand Blind play too well.We have 6 SB's (3 BB's) in the pot before the flop.Villan has already shown some strength, or at least stubbornness.So many of the posts seems to be geared towards "how do we take this pot away from a better hand" Do we have to try?It's 3BB at the flopWe have very weak draws on the flop.Do we want to pay 1 BB (C/R) or more to try to win this?Then if we are not 3-bet, we lead the turn? Can't we just let it go.What about a Check/Fold on the flop?or at least fold the turn?10 high 1 card flush with only 6BB to win is not worth it imo.

c/r flop, lead turn. if played back at on either street, easy fold.
You'd fold the T-high flush draw on the turn?
definitely. you're drawing to an 8 outer at best, and its very possible you're drawing dead.
I don't understand Blind play too well.We have 6 SB's (3 BB's) in the pot before the flop.Villan has already shown some strength, or at least stubbornness.So many of the posts seems to be geared towards "how do we take this pot away from a better hand" Do we have to try?It's 3BB at the flopWe have very weak draws on the flop.Do we want to pay 1 BB (C/R) or more to try to win this?Then if we are not 3-bet, we lead the turn? Can't we just let it go.What about a Check/Fold on the flop?or at least fold the turn?10 high 1 card flush with only 6BB to win is not worth it imo.
because of the flop texture. theres all kinds of 3bet hands that miss this flop. if i notice someone stealing my blinds too often, ill three bet with any ace, and a lot of Kx hands too. you also dont want to give up too easily here for metagame purposes. if you give up too easily, he'll threebet you everytime you try to steal.
definitely. you're drawing to an 8 outer at best, and its very possible you're drawing dead.
Ok, that makes sense. After building the pot, I'd be getting 8-1 to call, which would be enough if all 8 outs were likely live, but you're right, I can't necessarily count on all those outs.If he calls the turn, would you check/fold the river UI? Or bet/fold? (Check/calling would be the worst option, right?)
Ok, that makes sense. After building the pot, I'd be getting 8-1 to call, which would be enough if all 8 outs were likely live, but you're right, I can't necessarily count on all those outs.If he calls the turn, would you check/fold the river UI? Or bet/fold? (Check/calling would be the worst option, right?)
yea, the river would be tricky, i think you have to bet/fold, although its probably spewing. at least you get a little future value in that you'll get value bets called more often on the end.
yea, the river would be tricky, i think you have to bet/fold, although its probably spewing. at least you get a little future value in that you'll get value bets called more often on the end.
Ok, thanks, that's what I was thinking.As it turned out, this was another one of those times when I made the wrong play at the right time; he checked behind, and I won the pot! He had been bluffing the whole time with Th 7h, and thankfully he gave up on the river.