just met chris moneymaker

i might never do this again, but.......sorry.i still agree with me though. i'll be less of a douche next time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord, lots of unecessary, unsubstantiated Moneymaker bashing. Regardless of what you think of him as a poker player, it is very juvenile to bash him as a human being. So what if he divorced his wife? Happens everyday....he quit his job? If I even made the final table of the WSOP main event I would be calling into work and giving them my resignation. I've never met him, but a few of my friends have and have played with him in person and say he is very nice, he handles the publicity very well, especially considering that every other person has an opinion on how "terribly" he played during the `03 main event and how much he sucks. He did something very few people will ever get the chance to do, win a main event. Cut the guy some slack. He's still a much better player than Noel Furlong.

First of all, stop nesting quotes. Please.Secondly, bascomeb... This play isn't as boneheaded as people think. It would be a horrible move if he knew Brenes had aces, but he didn't. He correctly read that Brenes didn't have a king so he made a move. Also, Brenes made a big show of getting up from the table, pretending to be thinking, all that jazz. Last time he did that he was bluffing and had jack. This time he did the same thing, Moneymaker noticed it, and went for the throat. He was wrong of course, but this isn't half as boneheaded as some plays by Aaron Kanter.

Good lord, lots of unecessary, unsubstantiated Moneymaker bashing. Regardless of what you think of him as a poker player, it is very juvenile to bash him as a human being. So what if he divorced his wife? Happens everyday....he quit his job? If I even made the final table of the WSOP main event I would be calling into work and giving them my resignation. I've never met him, but a few of my friends have and have played with him in person and say he is very nice, he handles the publicity very well, especially considering that every other person has an opinion on how "terribly" he played during the `03 main event and how much he sucks. He did something very few people will ever get the chance to do, win a main event. Cut the guy some slack. He's still a much better player than Noel Furlong.
i'm pretty sure that if I made the wsop me final table, my boss wouldn't even get a call from me.......he'd just wonder what happened to me.
Wow. I just met a high school lineman that is committed to Michigan. Neither is too special.I also met a guy outside of 7/11 that claimed to be Jesus. You met a guy who claimed to be a poker player.
You guys kill me.....how many of you on this forum ( Mr. Daniel excluded please) have A) won ANY $10K buyin tourney much less the WSOP ME and B) placed 2nd in a televised WPT event?You can say all he is, is a lucky player, has no skill...etc...but of that is the case, then where in the hell does it put all you guys who rag him that have never accomplished more than maybe posting a bad beat story you had while playing the $0.50/$1 on PartyPoker?Is he a great poker player...probably not great....but better than most of the posters on this forum...yeah probably so. Has he had a bad run...yeah it seems so...but so has Mike Tyson, and I sure as hell ain't gonna climb in the ring against him!!!<hopping off soapbox>Basshuntr

I've had no personal interaction with Mr. Moneymaker so i can in NO WAY JUDGE HIM OR HIS ACTIONS... This guy claims to have had met this man and says he was a stand up Guy.... Mr. AugMented hit the nail and the head... Good Work :clap: :clap: I lay anybody 5/1 odds that DN would say that his personal INTERACTION with this guy was nothing but first class.... If any iteraction ever took place..Everybody cursing his play or this or that has abs0lutely no bearing on him as a PERSON....We've got to differentiate (SP?)SideNote:Augmented i will read all yer posts.... :club::D

I've had no personal interaction with Mr. Moneymaker so i can in NO WAY JUDGE HIM OR HIS ACTIONS... This guy claims to have had met this man and says he was a stand up Guy.... Mr. AugMented hit the nail and the head... Good Work :clap: :clap: I lay anybody 5/1 odds that DN would say that his personal INTERACTION with this guy was nothing but first class.... If any iteraction ever took place..Everybody cursing his play or this or that has abs0lutely no bearing on him as a PERSON....We've got to differentiate (SP?)SideNote:Augmented i will read all yer posts.... :club::D
god ok ok ok you can join my fan club, but no stalking.

The real joke is that he earned 2.5 million that 99% of us will never earn and all you want to do is flame the guy. He got his due, so get over it and shut it. We've got plenty of one hit wonders in poker, ie: Robert Varkonyi, Noel Furlong, Phil Gordon, etc.I'm out, like party crashing

Nobody here knows or should act like they know why Moneymaker divorced his first wife, but I'd be willing to bet that for a divorce to go down there were more reasons than just coming into some money.....If he divorced her for the newfound wealth, would he not be playing the field railing girls left and right and not get married relatively quickly?? I would guess that he married the girl because he fell in love quickly and/or because he got her pregnant (seeing that he just had a child). Both reasons are acceptable in my mind (the second is a quality of a stand-up guy).I heard him say in an interview that he DID in fact go back to his job for a couple months and try to resume his pre-WSOP victory life and that he just could not sit at work knowing what he could be making doing other things (poker, endorsments) and grind it out for, what was to him, small change. Agreeing with most of the other sane/normal posters on this site---Bash his play, leave him alone otherwise.

Just met Chris Moneymaker at Trick Shots (a local pool hall/bar)...They have the Amateur Poker League going on there, and he has been working closely with the APL and Canadian Club...Moneymaker was incredibly friendly and autographed cards/chips/shirts/etc. for people all night...even while he was playing at the tables. He took over 100 pictures for people also. Guy was definitely a class act. My hat's off to him.
since he's working with them...don't you think it's....his job to be friendly like that?
Not at all. I collect autographs of athletes. It's amazing how rude they are. Some are very friendly (Magic Johnson is the most friendly, he'll take pictures, chat with you, etc). Some are complete jerks, sign your item and that's it. They don't acknowledge you or anything. T.O. was definitely my worst experience.
Then... he lost it.
LOL, I'm pretty sure with all his endorsements, that he can play in almost every tournament, not cash and still break even for the year. We won't even throw in his backers.
All i can say is this8 8????wtf was that?brenes got screwed
What about the Ivey hand. I think MM is a good guy as I have talked to him online a couple times, but seriously, to hit that ace against Ivey... WOW... Of course, there are more donkey plays in the WSOP final table this year than the last two. Some of these guys make Varkonyi and MM look like Ivey or Negreanu. Seriously, the Q7 by Haschem was silly, granted, he was making a move, but Q7???????????? Also, Aaron Kanter... what a mega-donk.

Tech,It's funny how you contradict yourself."Last I heard (Not official) he was going with some young bimbo or somthing of that nature."Then, when confronted about it; you claim:" 3. The girl is a golddigger man!! If you saw them together, and I HAVE seen her, then you would understand. "So on looks alone you claim her as a gold digger. That's funny. But, even if he was with a girl, it's not "official", remember?Also; as far as him divorcing his wife goes, this is from a chat with Moneymaker and his father on ESPN last week:Chris (Tucson): Mike, Has Chris been a bigger hit with the ladies since his win 2 years ago?SportsNation Mike Moneymaker: No. He's married and just had a baby on June 9th. I think you've been owned. Stop hating.

First, the 88 hand vs Brenes. Moneymaker had substantially more chips, so he was just trying to push his weight around as a chip leader. There's nothing wrong with that. Even if he lost the hand, he would have been fine. Second, the Ivey hand. Again, Moneymaker was a big chip leader at the table. Even if he loses that, he's got over $1 million heading to the final table. Furthermore, I'd be really impresssed if any of you can get away from AQ when two Q's flop without a straight or flush hitting.Point being: Yes, MM got lucky, but his tournament life was never on the line when he was a dog. That in itself is pretty impressive in a 800+ tournament over several days. For those of you that think he's lucky, keep in mind that ESPN makes its living by showing good drama (bad beats, lucky draws, and showdowns). For every bad beat he puts on someone, they're not showing the 10 hands he's raising to take control of the table. And even the best players know that sometimes you have to call with an inferior hand just to let short stacks know that they're playing for all their chips if they want to play against you. Table image is everything and what we see on TV gives very little impression of that.

Wow. I just met a high school lineman that is committed to Michigan. Neither is too special.I also met a guy outside of 7/11 that claimed to be Jesus. You met a guy who claimed to be a poker player.
so far away from funny...it hurts.

I also have an opinion on Moneymaker. Many people say his is overrated as a player. Of course there is some truth to this, but there may be an actual reason. When I read about the histories of most poker pros, there is a general theme of the time it took them to move up in levels. I imagine many online players can agree. Most pros dominate a level(say 100-200), but often times struggle when the move up. The lessons they learn when the get beat at the higher levels are what enable them to improve, and become the top players at that level. Mr. Moneymaker obviously has skills. But because he won the "big one", his expected level of play took a huge leap forward. But he also missed out on several years of the gradual improvement that helps many of the superstars of poker. Basically, all I'm saying is wait a few years before passing final judgement on Moneymaker. He may never do another thing in poker, but he will always be a world champion. Give him a few years to see if his game can catch up with his accomplishments. Then you can make a more fair assesment of his abilities.[/i]

I really love how people love to critique peoples play after watching T.V. coverage of an event, especially T.V. coverage when they only show certain moments. I will say this- I have won quite a few tournaments and there have been quite a few times when I misread a situation badly and still came out ahead. This happens in poker and really at times is a necessity to justify aggressive play. That is tournament poker, love it or leave it. :twisted:

i dont get all the mm bashing....ppl say he got totally lucky when he won the wsop..ok , yes he did..so has every winner that has ever won the wsop..what has he done since, very little to be honest..i know he did come in 2nd in a wpt event<actually was a bad beat away from beating gordon>...the average online player has more in common with mm than phil ivey or even dn for that matter....why do people hate him so much? he never claimed to be the god of poker..call him whatever you want ,but ive heard he's a nice guy thathas overcome some problems and come out the other side...sounds like a lot of jealous people wishing they sucked as bad as mm..
Well said Mr. Iveyfan30.
just suck his penis already. all the sucking up has to get you somewhere dosen't it?j/k..i'm bored/tired, so i need to entertain myself. too tired to play poker thoughteneight
Another thread like this... *sigh*.All you Moneymaker haters sicken me.He has DOWN SYNDROME AND HE WON THE WSOP,so GIVE HIM SOME F-ING RESPECT!
I'm not giving him any repect for getting lucky and bad beating Ivey with a 7-outer to make QQQ full of AA . But the guy as done as much as anybody to bring lots of new little fishies to poker and fill my pokects with cash. For his poker I could care less-- but for the guy's representation and promotion-- I worship the guy and the money he brought me!!
Just met Chris Moneymaker at Trick Shots (a local pool hall/bar)...They have the Amateur Poker League going on there, and he has been working closely with the APL and Canadian Club...Moneymaker was incredibly friendly and autographed cards/chips/shirts/etc. for people all night...even while he was playing at the tables. He took over 100 pictures for people also. Guy was definitely a class act. My hat's off to him.
since he's working with them...don't you think it's....his job to be friendly like that?
it may of been his job to be nice but as i have seen not all of them are nice when they are supposed to be. I was at Bob Hartley(coach of the avalanche at the time) it was his golf tournamnet. It was 8 am and everyone heard him say I hate this s h i t .i wish it was over. Now the star of the avalanche ray Bourque was amazing...People who are plain AZZHoles let it come out no matter if they are suppose to be nice..I'm glad you enjoyed your meeting with Moneymaker
First, the 88 hand vs Brenes. Moneymaker had substantially more chips, so he was just trying to push his weight around as a chip leader. There's nothing wrong with that. Even if he lost the hand, he would have been fine. Second, the Ivey hand. Again, Moneymaker was a big chip leader at the table. Even if he loses that, he's got over $1 million heading to the final table. Furthermore, I'd be really impresssed if any of you can get away from AQ when two Q's flop without a straight or flush hitting.Point being: Yes, MM got lucky, but his tournament life was never on the line when he was a dog. That in itself is pretty impressive in a 800+ tournament over several days. For those of you that think he's lucky, keep in mind that ESPN makes its living by showing good drama (bad beats, lucky draws, and showdowns). For every bad beat he puts on someone, they're not showing the 10 hands he's raising to take control of the table. And even the best players know that sometimes you have to call with an inferior hand just to let short stacks know that they're playing for all their chips if they want to play against you. Table image is everything and what we see on TV gives very little impression of that.
This might singlehandedly be the worst post ever.If he loses those two pots - we'd be saying Chris who?? Winning two monster hands when you're 4-1 down and knocking out two major competitors is a lot of luck.The reason MoneyMaker had the chip lead when he hit Ivey was b/c of - among other things - that bad beat on Brenes. His beat on Ivey gave him a commanding chip lead - something you can't really screw up - certainly at that level. It's not just the media that made moneymaker seem lucky - he also hasn't done much since. YOu say he came second in some tournament - well maybe that makes him a decent player - but a world champion? Come off it.