There's no way the Negreneau Open standings should have any effect on this tourney.  There should be either one big qualifying tournameny or 2 or 3 giving away spots to the top  12 and 13 or top 8, 8, and 9, respectively.
2 problems with this. 1: One tourney doesn't prove crap about one's playing ability.2: If we are to have several freezeouts, there needs to be a point system to determine best overall results, not top 8, 8 and 9 respectively.
neither does picking players by popularity. also this tourney doesnt prove which forum is better
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weds. night is the worst night for me with hockey and all, but why should this NWP vs. FCP be a one time thing? That way if the tourney can be larger to accomodate more players, great, but if not it's not a one shot deal so there will be more chances. Having this challenge match more than once will also give more validity to the results as well.

2: If we are to have several freezeouts, there needs to be a point system to determine best overall results, not top 8, 8 and 9 respectively.And everyone is going to be able to play in all 3 tournaments? Having 3 tournaments gives people a chance to redeem themselves if they take a bad beat and it gives the busier people more flexability so they they are assured of at least one chance to qualify.

2: If we are to have several freezeouts, there needs to be a point system to determine best overall results, not top 8, 8 and 9 respectively.And everyone is going to be able to play in all 3 tournaments?  Having 3 tournaments gives people a chance to redeem themselves if they take a bad beat and it gives the busier people more flexability so they they are assured of at least one chance to qualify.
your idea is the best so far IMO
I'm only advocating having a panel choose players if the field is to be a small one. If it isn't than I'd be up for anything. I just wouldn't want to have only 25 players representing us as a forum and one or more of those reps be people that happened to sit in a hot seat in a qualifier one night. Period.
I guess this really depends on how many people you think will actually try to qualify, but if it's only out of a total of 75 or so entrants then i would hope that a pretty good amount of the "established" players would make that sort of cut.

I suppose I'm in... I have to admit a 10$ buyin seems kinda worthless though. If we are playing with skill, and for pride, it seems like we should involve real poker players. The buyin really should be something decent, 200$ or more. Just my .02. I'm more of a cash game player, but I'd be game to join in.

2: If we are to have several freezeouts, there needs to be a point system to determine best overall results, not top 8, 8 and 9 respectively.And everyone is going to be able to play in all 3 tournaments?  Having 3 tournaments gives people a chance to redeem themselves if they take a bad beat and it gives the busier people more flexability so they they are assured of at least one chance to qualify.
No but you put 8, 8 9 which adds up to 25, but if several people made it into the top 8 a few times you wouldn't have 25. That's what I meant.Look the more I play on stars the more I hate it, so I'll just stay outta this.
I suppose I'm in... I have to admit a 10$ buyin seems kinda worthless though.  If we are playing with skill, and for pride, it seems like we should involve real poker players.  The buyin really should be something decent, 200$ or more.  Just my .02.  I'm more of a cash game player, but I'd be game to join in.
I second that, make it a $200 tourny and you will get the better players from each site.

Well I would think that if someone already has reserved a spot, then we would just move down the list and qualify the next person, so whoever got 9th or 10th would get in.

There's no way the Negreneau Open standings should have any effect on this tourney.  There should be either one big qualifying tournameny or 2 or 3 giving away spots to the top  12 and 13 or top 8, 8, and 9, respectively.
2 problems with this. 1: One tourney doesn't prove crap about one's playing ability.2: If we are to have several freezeouts, there needs to be a point system to determine best overall results, not top 8, 8 and 9 respectively.
neither does picking players by popularity. also this tourney doesnt prove which forum is better
I wasn't advocating picking players based on popularity. I just threw out the idea of a panel to determine the players based on many factors, hopefully popularity not being one of them. There are a lot of people whom I like on this site and are very popular, but are just learning how to play or don't play tournies, so they wouldn't be a good choice.
I suppose I'm in... I have to admit a 10$ buyin seems kinda worthless though.  If we are playing with skill, and for pride, it seems like we should involve real poker players.  The buyin really should be something decent, 200$ or more.  Just my .02.  I'm more of a cash game player, but I'd be game to join in.
I second that, make it a $200 tourny and you will get the better players from each site.
I completely agree. If you are truly a good player, then you can afford a higher buy-in.Now of course there may be some trust fund babies who just want to play, but they'd be dead money, so it's all good.
There's no way the Negreneau Open standings should have any effect on this tourney. There should be either one big qualifying tournameny or 2 or 3 giving away spots to the top 12 and 13 or top 8, 8, and 9, respectively.
I wasn't advocating picking players based on popularity. I just threw out the idea of a panel to determine the players based on many factors, hopefully popularity not being one of them. There are a lot of people whom I like on this site and are very popular, but are just learning how to play or don't play tournies, so they wouldn't be a good choice.
i guess i just dont know why this is a fcp vs nwp if any member of fcp doesnt have an equal chance to play
There's no way the Negreneau Open standings should have any effect on this tourney. There should be either one big qualifying tournameny or 2 or 3 giving away spots to the top 12 and 13 or top 8, 8, and 9, respectively.
i guess i just dont know why this is a fcp vs nwp if any member of fcp doesnt have an equal chance to play
agreed, make it open to all. It doesn't mean shit anyway. If it's on stars though, count me out. If it's on FTP or UB and a higher buy-in, count me in.
I suppose I'm in... I have to admit a 10$ buyin seems kinda worthless though. If we are playing with skill, and for pride, it seems like we should involve real poker players. The buyin really should be something decent, 200$ or more. Just my .02. I'm more of a cash game player, but I'd be game to join in.
NAH...it should be a 5k buyin at least, and have Daniel and neverwin play also.
alf13 Post Posted: Wed, Jul 20th, 2005 5:33 Post subject:Bijjy wrote:I suppose I'm in... I have to admit a 10$ buyin seems kinda worthless though. If we are playing with skill, and for pride, it seems like we should involve real poker players. The buyin really should be something decent, 200$ or more. Just my .02. I'm more of a cash game player, but I'd be game to join in.NAH...it should be a 5k buyin at least, and have Daniel and neverwin play also.
how about just 500k buy in with the best player from each forum playing a heads up freezeout? lol wait, this is planned already isn't it?
alf13 Post Posted: Wed, Jul 20th, 2005 5:33 Post subject:Bijjy wrote:I suppose I'm in... I have to admit a 10$ buyin seems kinda worthless though. If we are playing with skill, and for pride, it seems like we should involve real poker players. The buyin really should be something decent, 200$ or more. Just my .02. I'm more of a cash game player, but I'd be game to join in.NAH...it should be a 5k buyin at least, and have Daniel and neverwin play also.
how about just 500k buy in with the best player from each forum playing a heads up freezeout? lol wait, this is planned already isn't it?
NAH...that is crap...I say all the opposing forum members meet on a field for hand to hand combat.We need to pick the weapons though...You have a choice:A) Spiked Baseball Bats.B) MachetesC) 10 foot spears.D) MusketsI got dibs on the Cavalry...any volunteers? (must have a horse)

I have no intention in playing, so you can consider me, if you choose, a nuetral or non-biased opinion. This entire discussion reminds me of Junior High and picking dodgeball teams in Phys. Ed. First picked are the obvious athletes. Next picked are the popular ones, regardless of any athletic talent. The class clown usually gets picked here, who in my school, was a dead ringer for Chris Farley (the guy could get some serious torque on that dodgeball though.) So you have two teams being assembled, with the jocks, populars, and a guy for each tean with the one liners. Next came the semi-populars, followed by the deceptively atheltic bunch, that little 5' 8" kid who wears glasses and has perfect grades, but can throw a fastball in the mid 80s and run a 40 in 4.7, and plus, he can light it up behind the arc. Left standing after this early lesson in demographics and social classes, were a bunch left wondering who would be picked last. At that point, you loose a few that automatically withdraw themselves claiming sickness or a twisted knee (any excuse is fine, and it really doesn't matter, because nobody heard it anyway). Damn I miss those days!As for this tournament vs. NWP, I think the competion is a great idea. I don't know how the hell Jason or anybody is supposed to assemble a team of 25 posters and not offend or leave some feeling excluded. I can understand those with thousands of posts feeling an obligatory nod, as they are obvious jocks of the bunch. Their point may have some validation. Suited_Up won his way into one of the most pretigious tournaments in poker, and it seems valid that he should be able to step across the line to the assembled team. Fact is, there are a great many who have a valid reason for being able to participate.Here's my suggestion, for what it is worth:Since this is a written forum about poker, have an essay contest of sorts. Nothing fancy. Those who want to participate can write a short essay. The topic could be "Why I should be choosen" or perhaps a strategy essay such as "Playing mid-pocket pairs in late position." Jason, or maybe an independent party could then pick 25 players based on the essays. If the essays were strategy related and contained solid advice, then they could be stickied and placed in strategy for future use and learning. I believe this would serve two purposes; 1) The essays would identify those who have a good team spirit and want to participate. They would also show a level of poker competency. 2) The essays would provide a benefit to the forum and those who might come here hoping to improve their game.

I have no intention in playing, so you can consider me, if you choose, a nuetral or non-biased opinion. This entire discussion reminds me of Junior High and picking dodgeball teams in Phys. Ed. First picked are the obvious athletes. Next picked are the popular ones, regardless of any athletic talent. The class clown usually gets picked here, who in my school, was a dead ringer for Chris Farley (the guy could get some serious torque on that dodgeball though.) So you have two teams being assembled, with the jocks, populars, and a guy for each tean with the one liners. Next came the semi-populars, followed by the deceptively atheltic bunch, that little 5' 8" kid who wears glasses and has perfect grades, but can throw a fastball in the mid 80s and run a 40 in 4.7, and plus, he can light it up behind the arc. Left standing after this early lesson in demographics and social classes, were a bunch left wondering who would be picked last. At that point, you loose a few that automatically withdraw themselves claiming sickness or a twisted knee (any excuse is fine, and it really doesn't matter, because nobody heard it anyway). Damn I miss those days!As for this tournament vs. NWP, I think the competion is a great idea. I don't know how the hell Jason or anybody is supposed to assemble a team of 25 posters and not offend or leave some feeling excluded. I can understand those with thousands of posts feeling an obligatory nod, as they are obvious jocks of the bunch. Their point may have some validation. Suited_Up won his way into one of the most pretigious tournaments in poker, and it seems valid that he should be able to step across the line to the assembled team. Fact is, there are a great many who have a valid reason for being able to participate.Here's my suggestion, for what it is worth:Since this is a written forum about poker, have an essay contest of sorts. Nothing fancy. Those who want to participate can write a short essay. The topic could be "Why I should be choosen" or perhaps a strategy essay such as "Playing mid-pocket pairs in late position." Jason, or maybe an independent party could then pick 25 players based on the essays. If the essays were strategy related and contained solid advice, then they could be stickied and placed in strategy for future use and learning. I believe this would serve two purposes; 1) The essays would identify those who have a good team spirit and want to participate. They would also show a level of poker competency. 2) The essays would provide a benefit to the forum and those who might come here hoping to improve their game.
thats funny. no.
team spirit? this really isnt a team competition. poker competency doesnt really matter IMO. why cant any member play or have an equal chance to play regardless of their skill or competency.

team spirit? this really isnt a team competition. poker competency doesnt really matter IMO. why cant any member play or have an equal chance to play regardless of their skill or competency.This is would definitely be ideal to have it open regardless less of skill of competency. However, it seems that many want it limited, and I thought I'd make a suggestion, perhaps though, a suggestion I didn't exactly expect to be well recieved. I still like the idea though. But I'm rather long winded, and prone to write random essays when I entend to say a sentence. I was once told by a professor that good writing is about making a statement as tightly and concisely as possible. I think it was his way of telling me that I needed some help.

i stopped reading after essay...sorry.
That's alright ivey. If I recall correctly, you're a Smiths fan, and therefore, I forgive you.
i stopped reading after essay...sorry.
That's alright ivey. If I recall correctly, you're a Smiths fan, and therefore, I forgive you.
wow ty..usaully i get flamed for liking the smiths ...lol...

Essay...just that word gives me shivers. I understand the idea but anybody could just copy some poker article on the web and submit it as their own.If the tourney is limited to 25, then my opinion is that a panel of FCPers is the best way to select the 25. In terms of playing one or more freezeout tourneys to make the team, I don't think that there's enough time to schedule that. It's tough enough finding a time and place for the weekly Negreanu Open that everyone can join.If the max is 25, then FCP should have the 25 that represent's FCP BEST. Yes, mistakes will be made and some deserving FCPers will be left off the team but that's life. Post count should NOT be a factor, Harry Demetriou doesn't have many posts, but if he wanted to play, he should be one of the 25 for sure. Steve7Stud would be another automatic.For the panel makeup, I'd trust Jayson to make up the panel; he knows the forum and its membership better than most.