I got this from the Cardplayer.comStandings for Player of the year:1. Ben Dover2. Amanda Huggenkiss3. Erick Lindgren4. Ted Forrest5. Phil Ivey6. Olliver Clothesoff7. Hung Farr Lowe8. Santa Claus9 Charidimos 'Harry' Demetriou 2,320 Congradulations, good sir. I have seen nothing but positive feedback and knowledgeable advice from you on this forum.J in Colo.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this from the Cardplayer.comStandings for Player of the year:1. Ben Dover2. Amanda Huggenkiss3. Erick Lindgren4. Ted Forrest5. Phil Ivey6. Olliver Clothesoff7. Hung Farr Lowe8. Santa Claus9 Charidimos 'Harry' Demetriou 2,320 Congradulations, good sir. I have seen nothing but positive feedback and knowledgeable advice from you on this forum.J in Colo.
HA! I was about to ask if #1 was a real name, then I noticed the rest.Good post.

Rank Player Location Points Final Tables Winnings1 John Phan Long Beach, CA 4,032 6 $1,065,2972 Maciek "Michael" Gracz Raleigh, NC 3,360 2 $2,119,9603 Erick Lindgren Las Vegas, NV 3,168 6 $999,7114 Ted Forrest Las Vegas, NV 3,108 5 $1,084,7605 Phil Ivey Atlantic City, NJ 3,032 5 $1,731,0166 Michael Mizrachi Hollywood, FL 2,857 2 $2,265,5157 Amir Vahedi Sherman Oaks, CA 2,578 6 $602,0498 Antonio Esfandiari San Francisco, CA 2,344 4 $459,2469 Charidimos 'Harry' Demetriou London, United Kingdom 2,320 3 $406,005

Harry, it would be great if you win Player of the Year, but you absolutely MUST place higher than Captain Rock's n Rings. It's a moral imperative.

Flattering to be in the top ten and I truly am not worthy of being in the top 50 but I'll do my best to try and improve my position.Unfortunately this is only a fleeting bit of glory for me as I am only going to be playing a few more events in the USA this year (Bellagio in October and December) and the only qualifying events in Europe that I will play are the WPT in Paris next week and the London Open (World Poker Exchange event) just after.As such it will be difficult for me to get more ranking points.In addition I play very few events at all in Europe and generally do not play much poker in the later months of the year. Poker is very much a hobby for me and I thoroughly enjoy playing. This is why I play relatively few events compared to the tournament pros who must have a really difficult time as they seem to play around 200+ events a year.Thanks for the kind words and I assure you all that I'll be doing my best to get some more points during the remaining months of this year.

These days I'm retired.I generally bet on sports (soccer mainly) but made some money trading the markets too.For most of my working life however I was a Biomedical Scientist working in UK hospitals in charge of things like blood tests in the biochesmistry department of pathology.As I was betting more in a single bet than I was earning in a month working I decided to retire from being an employee in July 1996 as my employers refused to let me work part time (I wanted to job share and work 3 days a week leaving me more time for betting).Since then I have just concentrated on all forms of gambling but primarily sports.Then in 2001 Paul Magriel gave me a 9 hour lesson on poker while we were waiting for a flight to Europe from Las Vegas via LA and after playing my first live cash game and losing (15-30 Limit at The Bellagio) I was hooked.April 2002 saw my debut in tournaments and I was incredibly lucky to find myself at a WSOP final table with the chip lead and 3 handed but blew it all in 3 hands against Layne Flack (I honestly didn't have a clue as to what I was doing).Fortunately for me I am in a relatively comfortable position financially and as I have aged/matured (I am almost 47 now) have come to realise that there are more important things to life than money. Having it though offers me the luxury of being able to travel around the world visiting friends and playing poker tournaments and that is why when I am interviewed I often tell people I am the richest person in the world.Not because of any financial position but because I have so many good friends and because I have the freedom and the time to hang out with them and that DEFINITELY makes me the richest guy on the planet.

Fortunately for me I am in a relatively comfortable position financially and as I have aged/matured (I am almost 47 now) have come to realise that there are more important things to life than money.
I wish one day I can say this myself. But I'm stuck in a pretty crappy situation where I have freedom but I don't. I'm stuck at home, and can't leave the house because of no tranportation, and very little money.Very intesting to hear about your one on one session with Paul Magriel. Has he givin you any advice since then?

ajs510--A(I'm assuming) Real Genius quote is appreciated by me!!!Mr. Demetriou--no matter how many events you play, or points you earn, you are an A+ person to me. I wish you well in all your quests.

harry, I'd love to hear your thoughts on football betting. do you have a team that you support, and do you make bets on them, or do you not bet on them because your heart can get in the way of making a sound bet. I have tracked my own possible bets(damn ladbrokes not allowing american customers, I would've made a killing when Wednesday went down from the prem and when Leeds went down two years ago :evil: ) and have done alright. DO you generally do them from game to game, or do you do season long bets like most likely to go down, to win the champions league, etc.? btw chelsea had a great price last year to win the prem, whoever made the pick for a weakened aresenal to win the prem was making a suckers pick

Very intesting to hear about your one on one session with Paul Magriel. Has he givin you any advice since then?
I honestly believe that Paul Magriel has a very deep and thorough understanding of the technicalities and maths behind poker.However there are many aspects to playing successful poker and this is just one area of the game.He has helped me to discuss and analyze hands and taught me some of the basics like the dangers of slow playing and understanding positional advantage but overall my development has come from watching some of the great players and talking to them about the playing of individual hands.I am very fortunate in that I either know directly or through friends a lot of great players who are prepared to discuss hands honestly and openly with me. People such as Gus Hansen, Huck Seed, Dan Harrington Steve Zolotow, Howard Lederer, Mel Judah and X-22 himself to name but a few but the single greatest influence on my game to date has been a good friend called Brian Zembic. He has a greater understanding of poker and players than anyone I have ever met on this planet even though he doesn't play much poker himself ave for a little low limit 7 card stud.

Harry, as someone who hates working a 9-5 job everyday, but at the same time, it seems like everyone is profitable at poker, I'm curious to ask you a question. Are you a winning player? Even as a hobby, are you ahead at the end of the year? I am obviously not asking for detailed numbers.

I think it's time for a player profile for the big D! lhdevil.gifWe enjoy your visits here to the FCPDo you still use the good old wise owl as your card protector?

Harry, as someone who hates working a 9-5 job everyday, but at the same time, it seems like everyone is profitable at poker, I'm curious to ask you a question. Are you a winning player? Even as a hobby, are you ahead at the end of the year? I am obviously not asking for detailed numbers.
Unfortunately I only seem to really play poker in The USA when I am there and as I already said I play for enjoyment first and foremost rather than the money itself as it's a great challenge to me personally to ty and succeed at poker.Anyway I used to play mainly 30-60 hold em whenever in Vegas at The Bellagio but for the past 12-18 months it's been 80-160 limit holdem but when in LA it will go up to 100/200 at somewhere like the Commerce.I have also played as high as 200/400 limit holdem and 100/200 mixed limit games.I also sometimes play the no limit cash games with 10/20 or 25/50 blinds.I used to keep accurate records for both cash and tournaments but nowadays don't bother with the cash game records as I play so infrequently.Anyway from the older cash game records I made approximately 1.25 big bets an hour in the 30-60 game which then dropped down to around 1 big bet an hour for the limit holdem now that I play 80-160.I would say that I make a small profit or at least hold my own in this game but I would say that you should let my peers in that game judge me.No doubt I could do better but my style is not really suited to limit cash game play as I play way too loose in that I play far too many starting hands. However I believe that this is more than compensated for by my superior playing skills from the flop onwards. I have no problem laying down hands from the flop onwards having started with relative garbage when I have partially hit. (Saving bets = profitable bets just as much as gaining extra bets in limit games).Half of the players to be found in the 80-160 at the Bellagio are VERY decent players (I will not name them) whilst the other half are merely recreational/having fun/tourist type players but I seem to be particualrly good at taking advantage of weaker players whilst steering clear of the better ones.Sometimes I will play smaller games but usually this only happens when a friend is playing in the same game and they want me to study them and critique their play at the end of a session.My particualr style is also much more volatile than most others and it is interesting to see me play in places like California where volatility in Vegas is made to seem psotively docile in comparison.As for tournament play I am well ahead and have been in each of the years that I have played.This year I had intended to pay approximately $220k in entry fees but the reality is that this will now come down to approximately $175k in entries but I have already cashed $450k+ and this does not allow for my having won seats through super sattelittes for many of the bigger events.To date (since April 2002 and including the rest of this year) I have not paid more than $400k in entries but have cashed in excess of $1.3 million so that represents a very healthy profit.Basically for this year I am going to be up $300k even if I make no further cashes from tournaments alone but then this doesn't allow for expenses which are considerable but which I would probably have anyway but it would not be unreasonable to assume I spend $100k per year as a direct result of playing poker.The only reason I decided to play more tournaments this year was because I wanted to find out how good I was compared to others or find out if it was possible to compete with all those fine professional players out there.I feel confident that I can at least compete with them but would hate to have to make a living from this as it is possible to be the very best player in the world but go years without winning everyhing.Every year I set myself targets and last year it was to win a major event which I was fortunate enough to do in London.The goal for this year was to go through the $1 million winning barrier which I did and for the WSOP and WPT it was to make a final table in each.I fortunately made two final tables at The WSOP but have not made a final table in The WPT this year but overall I have fulfilled that target.I also hope to win a WPT title and a WSOP bracelet at some time but these goals do not have to be met before 2007 as these are my targets for the next two years.What I am about to write is probably going to seem a little starnge but anyway here it is for those interested.I have used poker to direct my life outside of poker and make me a better person and this for me are the more improtant goals that I set for myself.There's no point in having all the money in the world if when you get older you are going to be lying sick on a hospital bed somewhere.Because I have wanted to improve as a player it has driven me to changing my way of life. I have successfully lost weight (I have lost 26 lbs (>10kg) in the last six months by exercising daily and watching what I eat. This has enabled me to become a better, fitter, stronger and tougher opponent. It has also helped me concentrate and focus better and be less emotional about what happens at the poker table.I guess what I am trying to say is that I have discovered that there are great many things away from the poker table that you can do that will improve your poker and my desire to be better at poker has driven this healthier lifestyle.I also gave up smoking on March 31st 2003 and when people tell me how tough poker is I just think how much harder it was to give up an addiction such as smoking. It may seem starnge but when I get short stacked I think getting back to par or above average chips is positively easy compared to giving up smoking.Basically then in leading a healthier lifestyle I have found that I have been rewarded in my poker accomplishments.I genuinely believe that poker players are sportsman and to be successful you have to be as disciplined and focused as the very best Olympians.Giving up smoking, losing weight and becoming healthier and adopting a disciplined way of life were therefore my primary goals and a by product has been that my poker has improved.

Harry,Congrats on all of your success (both financially and non-financially). I am glad I took the time to read your posts today. I wish you the best of luck in the future.I never thought I'd have an opportunity to tell you that every time I get pocket twos I can hear you saying; "I've got balls this big." to Marcel Luske after you went all in against Matthew Hilger at the 2004 WSOP ME with deuces. Cracks me up every time.J

Harry,Congrats on all of your success (both financially and non-financially). I am glad I took the time to read your posts today. I wish you the best of luck in the future.I never thought I'd have an opportunity to tell you that every time I get pocket twos I can hear you saying; "I've got balls this big." to Marcel Luske after you went all in against Matthew Hilger at the 2004 WSOP ME with deuces. Cracks me up every time.J
I rememebr the hand well.Mathew Hilger had KQ offsuit and he had taken a brutal beating earlier on with AA v opponents TT.I honestly thought that I could get him to lay down (he should have done imo) as he was playing fairly tight but such is poker life.Marcel asked if I was referrring to him when I said I had balls "This Big" with my arms outstretched and I said "No" and that's why Marcel sings in such a high octave (Marcel likes singing at the table and actually had proper singing lessons in the past).It's nice to have some fun at the table even in highly stressful high profile events such as the WSOP as more usually you will see most of us sitting there looking deadly serious.I doubt I will come across as well this year when I get my further 5 mins of fame but we'll just have to wait and see.