what it takes to win at this game ?

I need some adviceIn order to answer my question you will need some background.I have been playing opker for about 8 years, the last 2 I have tried to be as serious as I could and read up on it. I have read about 8 books and enjoy the educational aspect of poker books. At first (about a year ago) things were very good, I won 3k in a few months playing micro limits. Then, around 4 months ago, things went bad. I haven't had a winning session in a long time. A part of my losing streak is due to not hitting draws (at all), others is the usual bad beats, but the rest I guess is bad luck combined with bad play.So, I guess I need some help and advice. All I read about is how much everybody is winning. I would like to know how to be a person like that.What does it take to be a winner at this game ?Its ok to flame by the way.

What does it take to be a winner at this game ?  
read Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky
eat a sammich then read it again.
Go to the bathroom and take a nap.Wake up and read it again
What does it take to be a winner at this game ?  
read Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky
eat a sammich then read it again.
Go to the bathroom and take a nap.Wake up and read it again
eat a baby for dinner, then read it again

Tiger is playing a limited schedule to make sure he is sharp for the big matches...I suggest you do the same....Take a long break, maybe a couple weeks while re-reading SSHE.Make sure every session you play is in a perfect setting....plenty of rest...no stress...bills paid etc....Sometimes when running bad you make mistakes because of the pressure to get it back...don't do that.anyway, I suggest a long break....you might forget some of the small bad habits you might have picked up pduring the downswing.Trey

If you are playing NL then draws will be the death of you, you want to get the money in when the opponent is drawing and bet outside of pot odds (to make it not worth calling for him). I feel that you are lacking CONFIDENCE -- that is a huge killer. Obviously you were a winning player and running good, now it seems that you are doubting your abililty to win. This causes every player to lay down winning hands and play more marginal hands. Take a break, read a regular book, and get back into a game where you can boost some confidence. It doesn't matter how many times in a row you get crappy cards...fold.fold.fold.repeat until you see cards you like:Getting Two cards in Hold'em is like Christmas time...Only most of the time you just get coal...

Small stakes NL holdem def. can drive you up the wall when you are running bad. But nobody is that unlucky over long periods of time if you are playing properly.Are you depositing small amounts of money hoping to get back up? do you quit after you play your best and get outdrawn?Your bankroll needs to be able to take the hit in small stakes, because it will happen. Are you playing the same exact games you were playing when you were running good? Are you able to find the weak aspects of your game, or the areas you feel others are exploiting? Do you see the people winning doing something you aren't doing... or aren't able to do?every game you play there is a way to win.... you just need to make sure you don't chalk up bad play or bad decisions to bad luck.. or you will never take the time to make adjustments to your game.... its all about analyzing yourself honestly without an ego... coming on a msg board for help is a great start... no matter what the flamers say.Start taking notes, and records of your play... see if a pattern develops... play those games... or notice where you may need to adjust strategy! good luck dude.

Focus and patience are key when you're on the downswing. I find reading about poker on say Cardplayer or watching a WSOP event or some form of televised play naturally regenerates my interest and focus on the game. The biggest mistake people make on small stakes in my opinion is winning then walking away too quickly (or losing and feeling they must make up for it ASAP), putting too much attention towards the money and not enough towards their game. Analyze the hands that you took a hit on and change your play from there. For example, asking yourself if you played that flush draw too aggressively and perhaps should flat check/call instead of reraise. Finding out where you put unecessary chips into the pot is very important in the long run.As someone suggested before, more limping/folding with cards like 67 suited instead of mixing it up and raising and patiently wait for the favored cards more so than usual. Players will take note of your tight style and perhaps a temporary venture into a 'Harringtonesque' outlook on the game may slowly bring your bankroll up to par. Naturally you'll see more players bluff at you and perhaps pay off a hand you land and on the flip side your bluffs will most likely work more often than not. You also have to remember that beginning play with an 'all or nothing' mentality is dangerous, containing play that is too strong and vulnerable, which isn't exactly an ideal way to approach SSHE. Understand that some winning sessions can be small, but will get you there eventually.Additionally, I also found that I had to take a break from cash games and after analyzing my game discovered that I was play far too loose and aggressive against the wrong people. Just remember, patience-patience- patience. I'd also check if your site has a Players/Flop ratio and Avg. Pot Size stats and pick out a game with either a low Plyr/Flop Pot Size percentage or the opposite and change play accordingly.

A long time running bad can hurt. I won over 30K last year which included a 6 week stretch that was -4K. I felt like I didn't know how to play anymore. 4 months is a long time however. One reason this bad stretch may be going longer than normal is subtle changes in your game. It is natural to either go crazy or become gunshy during these periods, depending on who you are. So you need to analyze your play to see if you are loosening up preflop due to frustration, or folding too much post flop. I'd recommend playing fewer hands that build draws for a while. The advice to read SSHE from every person is fine, but really that book should be read anyway (although I don't consider it the end-all bible that some people on this site think it is), not because you have been running badly. You mentioned 8 books I assume Theory and HOPFAP were in the mix so SSHE isn't even giving you all that much new material. If you think a book will help try Zen and the Art of Poker, it can really help your mindset during these tough stretches.

Or read "The Tao of Poker", it's a light read with refreshers about what kind of state of mind you should attain when playing. There's also a section about just the sort of thing you're going through (a long stretch of losing sessions). There is no technical advice in the book, though.I went through a bad spell and almost let it get to me but I just said to myself, F**k it, I'll play the way I know I should, keep myself open to improvement, and above all, come to the game because I love it. Once you lose your love for the game you're toast.

Practice, read, practice, practice, practice, read, practicelearn all the ins and out of poker mathematics/probabilities/stats. You might want to get pokerstove (.com) or the wilson turbo software(wilsonsoftware.com) to aid you in this respect. Play as much as possible. All players will make mistakes, the good ones will learn from them and get even better.

Is there any books or DVD's that you guys would recommend strictly for online poker? I have read alot of the books out there just looking for something new since i think im going to try to play strictly online.