$50 to $1000 on pstars day 2

The GoalTo turn $50 in my first Pokerstars deposit into $1000.The RulesI'll play only Limit games, primarily Holdem, though I might mix in some O8 or Stud etc. later on.I won't move up in limits without at least 300BB for the new limit. I will post hands that I win and lose and explain my thinking behind how I played them.I'm too lazy to spellcheck. Deal with it.Day 2 Just one of those days.Ever just have one of those days? You know the ones I mean. The one's where you don't have odds to call a bet on the flop with your gutshot straight draw and then it hits on the turn and makes a set for someone else who goes off for a million raises called by someone else slowplaying another lower set?The days when when you're raising it up with the nut flush on an unpaired board and you see the chips slide to someone else and say "Oh. That was a diamond."The days when you raise with AK and AQ and never hit a flop. The days you check with those overcards and it get's checked around and someone hits a pair of 3's on the river who you could have folded with a bet.Those days.It was one of those.A few bad beats here, a few cold decks there and I finish up a small 200 hand session thinking "How the hell did I make money today?"Danger!! Danger!! Bad beat hand approaching!!PokerStars Game #1085043345: Hold'em Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2005/01/16 - 05:01:06 (ET)Table 'Meliboea' Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 1: Boldfire ($0.75 in chips) Seat 4: Basse-1 ($4.16 in chips) Seat 5: Stevo72 ($0.55 in chips) Seat 7: thecandle ($3.66 in chips) Seat 8: golden58 ($0.63 in chips) Boldfire: posts small blind $0.02Basse-1: posts big blind $0.05TOOIEL: sits out *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Ks Kh]Stevo72: calls $0.05thecandle: raises $0.05 to $0.10golden58: calls $0.10Boldfire: folds Basse-1: folds Stevo72: calls $0.05*** FLOP *** [7c Qc Jh]Stevo72: checks thecandle: bets $0.05golden58: calls $0.05Stevo72: calls $0.05*** TURN *** [7c Qc Jh] [As]Stevo72: checks thecandle: checks golden58: checks *** RIVER *** [7c Qc Jh As] [3s]Stevo72: bets $0.10thecandle: calls $0.10golden58: folds *** SHOW DOWN ***Stevo72: shows [Ah Kd] (a pair of Aces)thecandle: mucks hand Stevo72 collected $0.72 from potOh the humanity.I really should have thanked him for saving me the bet on the turn, though.Let me offer a hand as an example of what I've mentioned earlier about the tight postflop play on Pstars.PokerStars Game #1085040417: Hold'em Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2005/01/16 - 04:59:09 (ET)Table 'Meliboea' Seat #1 is the buttonSeat 1: Boldfire ($0.94 in chips) Seat 5: Stevo72 ($0.19 in chips) Seat 7: thecandle ($3.58 in chips) Seat 8: golden58 ($0.88 in chips) Stevo72: posts small blind $0.02thecandle: posts big blind $0.05*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Td Jd]golden58: folds Boldfire: folds Stevo72: calls $0.03thecandle: checks I pondered raising this but decided to just check. I think it's close either way on this particular table. I think it's almost impossible that I don't get raised from the SB with anything in most other games. *** FLOP *** [Th Tc 2c]Stevo72: checks thecandle: bets $0.05Stevo72: calls $0.05Well all right. Should I go for the CR? Nah, if he's got a ten he'll raise if he doesn't he won't bet. Very abc Lee Jones clone.*** TURN *** [Th Tc 2c] [5c]Stevo72: checks thecandle: bets $0.10Stevo72: folds thecandle collected $0.20 from potthecandle: doesn't show hand *** SUMMARY ***Total pot $0.20 | Rake $0 Board [Th Tc 2c 5c]Seat 1: Boldfire (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: Stevo72 (small blind) folded on the TurnSeat 7: thecandle (big blind) collected ($0.20)Seat 8: golden58 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Exciting!I know it was heads up and it's a scary card and all, but it was a microcosom for the whole table. I'm pretty sure I managed to squeak out a profit tonight mainly from running over the shorthanded table with junk hands.Here's an exciting misclick hand where I fold instead of raising PF with K6s 4 handed.Oops. Well, probably would have missed the flop anyway, right?PokerStars Game #1085034277: Hold'em Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2005/01/16 - 04:55:06 (ET)Table 'Meliboea' Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 1: Boldfire ($0.92 in chips) Seat 5: Stevo72 ($0.38 in chips) Seat 7: thecandle ($3.55 in chips) Seat 8: golden58 ($0.74 in chips) Boldfire: posts small blind $0.02Stevo72: posts big blind $0.05*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [6s Ks]thecandle: folds golden58: folds Boldfire: calls $0.03Stevo72: checks *** FLOP *** [8d 4s Qs]Boldfire: checks Stevo72: bets $0.05Boldfire: calls $0.05*** TURN *** [8d 4s Qs] [7s]Boldfire: checks Stevo72: checks *** RIVER *** [8d 4s Qs 7s] [Kh]Boldfire: checks Stevo72: bets $0.10Boldfire: folds Stevo72 collected $0.20 from potStevo72: doesn't show hand *** SUMMARY ***Total pot $0.20 | Rake $0 Board [8d 4s Qs 7s Kh]Seat 1: Boldfire (small blind) folded on the RiverSeat 5: Stevo72 (big blind) collected ($0.20)Seat 7: thecandle folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: golden58 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Big deal? No. Big pot? No. Psychically annoying? You bet. So anway, after I while I get pretty annoyed with all the lack of action 4-handed and just start LAGging it up.I become the James Bolivar DiGriz of blind stealing. I won't bother with the hands because they're largely the same and pretty boring.I get dealt 49o, I raise PF everyone folds. I get dealt 29o I raise PF, the BB calls, I bet out on a A38 flop, he folds.Eventually they take me to the river on a few hands, I get to show off crap which costs me a few BB, and I shift back to my normal short handed agression level.The psychic damage has been done, however! Who's not going to pay me off with middle pair when I raise and bet to the river now? Who?? WHO I ASK YOU!!Not these guys:PokerStars Game #1085032140: Hold'em Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2005/01/16 - 04:53:43 (ET)Table 'Meliboea' Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: Boldfire ($1.32 in chips) Seat 5: Stevo72 ($0.43 in chips) Seat 7: thecandle ($2.90 in chips) Seat 8: golden58 ($0.94 in chips) thecandle: posts small blind $0.02golden58: posts big blind $0.05*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [As Jc]Boldfire: calls $0.05Stevo72: folds thecandle: raises $0.05 to $0.10golden58: calls $0.05Boldfire: calls $0.05*** FLOP *** [4d 3s Js]thecandle: bets $0.05golden58: calls $0.05Boldfire: calls $0.05*** TURN *** [4d 3s Js] [Ah]thecandle: bets $0.10golden58: calls $0.10Boldfire: calls $0.10*** RIVER *** [4d 3s Js Ah] [6c]thecandle: bets $0.10golden58: calls $0.10Boldfire: calls $0.10*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [As Jc] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)golden58: mucks hand Boldfire: mucks hand thecandle collected $1.05 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $1.05 | Rake $0 Board [4d 3s Js Ah 6c]Seat 1: Boldfire mucked [5d Ad]Seat 5: Stevo72 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: thecandle (small blind) showed [As Jc] and won ($1.05) with two pair, Aces and JacksSeat 8: golden58 (big blind) mucked [Jh 7h]I know, boring.I'd like to post some exciting hands with intreting tactical decisons in them, but I really, honestly, didn't have any. I'd like to post hands where I think about how to get the most value from my set but I didn't hit any. I'll show you how to agressively play K high against the nut flush though. I'm the master of that:PokerStars Game #1082756673: Hold'em Limit ($0.05/$0.10) - 2005/01/15 - 18:11:40 (ET)Table 'Armenia' Seat #10 is the buttonSeat 1: thecandle ($3.51 in chips) Seat 3: clark ken ($4.62 in chips) Seat 4: elBrummo ($0.52 in chips) Seat 5: scoots_mc ($1.60 in chips) Seat 6: Loco1942 ($1.43 in chips) Seat 7: poker_havoc ($2.99 in chips) Seat 8: dave.coe ($1.52 in chips) Seat 10: ILikeEggs ($1.69 in chips) thecandle: posts small blind $0.02clark ken: posts big blind $0.05*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Kh Jd]elBrummo: raises $0.05 to $0.10scoots_mc: folds Loco1942: folds poker_havoc: calls $0.10dave.coe: calls $0.10ILikeEggs: folds thecandle: calls $0.08clark ken: calls $0.05Let's start the hand with a loose call, shall we? I don't know what I was thinking calling aside from that there were two cards with pictures on them and that my wife was telling me we were going to be late.I normally fold this (honest) even in the BB to a raise.*** FLOP *** [4h Ad 6h]Now, that's the actual flop. Here's what I see: 3h Ah 6h.looshle joins the table at seat #2 thecandle: checks clark ken: checks elBrummo: checks poker_havoc: bets $0.05dave.coe: calls $0.05thecandle: calls $0.05Hey, 8 outs to the nut flush! Gotta call, right? I thought about raising for value, but aren't sure that I get the two cold callers behind me (yes, the .05/.10 tables are that tight post-flop) and settle for hopefully getting overcalls.clark ken: calls $0.05elBrummo: raises $0.05 to $0.10poker_havoc: raises $0.05 to $0.15mistercash joins the table at seat #9 dave.coe: calls $0.10thecandle: calls $0.10clark ken: folds elBrummo: raises $0.05 to $0.20Betting is cappedpoker_havoc: calls $0.05dave.coe: calls $0.05thecandle: calls $0.05*** TURN *** [4h Ad 6h] [8h]Wohoo, nut flush baby!thecandle: bets $0.10elBrummo: raises $0.10 to $0.20poker_havoc: folds dave.coe: folds thecandle: raises $0.10 to $0.30elBrummo: calls $0.02 and is all-inBless your heart little elBrummo for not bringing enough money to play a single hand correctly to the table. You saved me at least 4 more BB on the river.*** RIVER *** [4h Ad 6h 8h] [4s]*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [Kh Jd] (a pair of Fours)elBrummo: shows [Qh Ah] (a flush, Ace high)elBrummo collected $1.79 from potHey, look at that, two Ah. How'd that happen? It's rigged, online poker is rigged I tell you!!!Oh wait, that's a diamond on the board.Man, I wonder how they coded it to change to a diamond while I was getting dressed to go out.They've really taken the fixing and action flops to new levels!!My Patriots will be busy dismantling that fraud Payton Place Manning and the Colts tommorow so I probably won't play untill my ussual vampire hours.I'm thinking I might saunter over to the micro O8 tables for a change of pace and see how that goes.Yes, I made a buck somehow even with hitting the wrong button and not reading the board correctly.Also, yes, I did switch to the 4 color deck. ResultsStarting Bankroll: $53.07Ending Bankroll: $54.09Playtime: ~2:30ish (two sessions combined total)Net: $1.02BB/Hour: ~4We'll see how my adventures in the land of Omaha go tommorow.

Just as a bit of advice smash, if you are at all into Omaha or 7-stud hi/lo the micro-limit tables at PokerStars are incredibly easy. I recall going through some time at those tables winning about 20BB an hour over the course of a few weeks. You may want to consider it for a change of pace and even improve your game in those areas if you are interested.

Good post...looking forward to more. I've got to agree about the microlimits for Stud Hi/Lo on Pokerstars. A little while ago I sat at the .04/.08 table without knowing precisely how the game worked and turned $2 into $7 in a little over an hour. I haven't repeated that level of success, but it's real easy to come out ahead.Oh, and go Patriots...

• 1 year later...
Back for an encore performance
Out of curiosity, do you remember how many "days" he got in before he stopped? It was like 23 or something?
I think it was 33 or something like that. For those who haven't read the whole thing, I suggest you go back and try to dig them all up. They're pretty educational and VERY funny.
Back for an encore performance
Out of curiosity, do you remember how many "days" he got in before he stopped? It was like 23 or something?
33 days and then it stopped - he was up to $468.50 at the time. Can't remember why the experiment stopped but seem to recall that he decided to quit smoking around that time which might have been a factor...
wait. are you playing the penny games... please stop posting.
I think he was also getting tired of comments like this. He was only doing it to help out the readers of the forum with their limit game.

Back in the day when i was a forum lurker, these posts taught me how to play and turned me into a winning player. It's too bad smash doesn't post much anymore. I miss the flame wars.