how much of himself did mike matasow own???

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll just take that as you made it up.Want to put $50 on it?Then I'll be motivated to spoon feed you things. Let me know, moron.
Did you read it on the internet? If so then it must be ture!
i dont get it...mike won his seat on stars....why would he sell that much of himself.Don't play many tournaments, huh?If Juanda, Daniel, Ivey and two other pros offered you 10% in exchange for 10% of you, do you think it's a good idea or a bad idea for your bankroll to sell half of yourself?Risk mitigation in a high risk enviorment.
You're a jopke
no, on this one, he is completely on point. Its a smart way for pros to do business.I have heard that matusow had between 40-50% of himself. but that is only rumors I have heard not facts.

Internet-based sources are usually not very accurate. If anything it was a speculatory comment on smash's part.Btw, Matusow owns; Too bad he fell to such a donkified play. p.s. Matusow's poker terms own.p.s.s. - I own. Heads up match, anyone? You have to stake me...

i dont get it...mike won his seat on stars....why would he sell that much of himself.Don't play many tournaments, huh?If Juanda, Daniel, Ivey and two other pros offered you 10% in exchange for 10% of you, do you think it's a good idea or a bad idea for your bankroll to sell half of yourself?Risk mitigation in a high risk enviorment.
Either you sell insurance or you just got done reading dictionary.com. Which one is it? Although you use of the work is correct I'm sure you're over selling the thought process of many poker professionals. These guys are gamblers...Risk mitigation also means less of a profit margin.The most important component of driving down the cost of risk for an organization is a strategically designed risk mitigation program that proactively targets core cost drivers. Risk mitigation encompasses loss prevention, loss control, and claims management. Structured effectively, a risk mitigation program will prevent losses and reduce the cost of losses that do occur while creating a safer environment for your employees, your business partners, and the communities in which you operate.
I love this analysis - you may sell insurance (underwriter perhaps, actuarial chap?), but this level of risk management is likely not analyed between John Juanda and Mike Matusow. I can see Smash's point that Matusow doesn't own himself completely. THis is not a question of staking it seems - but rather a greater insurance that you cash in big regardless of how you do. It's a nice way to make sure big time prize money gets passed around and bad beats just knock you out and you are done and done. Deals are parts of poker man - these guys realize the amount of cash involved - there about 4700 fish donating 10,000 dollars and you have a big shot at it - why not make a deal. Mike probably didn't expect to make it this far - but likely figured thtat the best way to make big bucks off this tourney was trade away some of his cash in exchange for a shot at Phil Ivey's, JJ's or DN's.This is not profit reducing becausing MM's utility is increased with greater certainty that he'll cash in. I am sure these douchebags - ala dutch boyd and co are doing the same - the only difference is that there not making money.Cheers.
I imagine Daniel knows.Maybe he'll chime in.
I can just about guarantee that Daniel knows.I can just about guarantee that he won't give specifics.
I'll agree here. And that almost all of you posting on this forum have no respect from me. If it hasn't been made clear enough to you folk, this info is NOT ON THE INTERNET. I expect it and other rumor to hit in about a month though before the WSOP broadcasts.I think at this point nothing further should be said.
If you don't have the source then it's all censored to us.Right.  Because your credibility is greater on this board than mine is.Hahaha.Man, I'm great.Let me know about the $50.
Are you seriously stroking yourself over "board credibility"? Haha, Keyboard Toughguys are the best.

Mattusow has had a lot of legal bills and some people do feel sorry for him. While on TV Daniel, has stated he usually gets about 75% of those he backs, I wouldn't be surprised if Mike was cut a break and got 50%, by whomever.Also I can not think of a major pro who doesn't commonly "save the buyin" with at least a few friends-- you can call it risk spreading or whatever. Given the guy needs friends, it wouldn't unusual if he had to payout several percent of his part of the win to major names on "saves".Even DN bets tiny (1%) pieces of himself on various other wagers, like when he pays Ivey etal. a few holes of golf.

in another topic everyone was saying mike was a god....?????he couldn't afford to buy himself in to the wsop so he needed someone else to?
he won his way in online. you clearly do not understand any of this. go and reread this whole topic

ok so he sold some of his seat to another player inexchange for some of theres.i dunno why people do this. there is no way he would sell up to 50percent of his seat unless he thought he had no chance. i bet he sold meybe 20 percent at the most. unless he doesnt belive in his skill.

in another topic everyone was saying mike was a god....?????he couldn't afford to buy himself in to the wsop so he needed someone else to?
he won his way in online. you clearly do not understand any of this. go and reread this whole topic
That's true BUT-- He was busted by all the legal bills. People usually back ALL your play for a given period with paybacks. The reason is if a guy is getting backed, the backer wants a piece of the ALL the wins and losses--you can't just pick and chose. So if the deal was for all live play, Mike only gets his percent but of course the backer has to pay him for any online wins if they're separate in the agreement (ie. $10,000 buyin is payed to Mike)

just ran across this on espn.com...don't know if anyone has posted this already but its an interesting readhttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/colum...d=2109478&num=0to quote " Stunned and disbelieving, Matusow gets consolation from fellow Full Tilt pros Erik Seidel and John Juanda, each of whom have a piece of Matusow's $1 million prize money. Matusow also gets applause from Hellmuth, Negreanu and Jennifer Harman who are working the cardplayer.com webcast."

ok so he sold some of his seat to another player inexchange for some of theres.i dunno why people do this. there is no way he would sell up to 50percent of his seat unless he thought he had no chance. i bet he sold meybe 20 percent at the most. unless he doesnt belive in his skill.
He was so disillusioned about his skill before the main event that he almost didn't even play... So yeah, that was exactly the case. If I thought I sucked that badly at poker, I'd definitely percentage swap with people I think are better than me... especially in the main event.
Matusow believes in skill and how much are you willing to bet? I'll wager up to $1K that Matusow sold off over double what you said.Now all of you guys should either be willing to wager money or acknowledge that you don't know anything.btw, my wager about Todd Brunson and who he says is a horrible cash game player is still open too.
Widely reported? Give us one source.Do your own research.
This makes me wonder how many times in the 9 months I have been on fcp that you have ridiculed someone for making statements without providing evidence. It's usually pretty funny, because they start flaming away or stop posting to the thread altogether, proving that they had no idea what they were talking about. Anyways, just saying you're being pretty hypocritical.But I do believe you.
It's primarily risk mitigation. It's partially an acknowledgement that it's VERY difficult for a pro to go deep in the WSOP anymore. Let's say you think as a pro that you have a 50% chance of making the money, a 15% chance of going deep into the tourney (say top 50), and a 1% chance of winning it. That represents an enormouse amount of faith in your own skill, and still acknowledges a 50% chance to get nothing for you benefit. If you spread action between yourself and 5 other players, everyone trading 10% of themselves to everyone else, then you almost guarantee a profitable day for everyone. The absolute only way you 'lose' at that arrangement, is if all 6 of you end up in the top 6, and then the champion is losing a fairly significant portion compared to what he gives back. Over time it's good insurance for pros... and the bigger the fields get the more pros are going to do it I'd wager.

He was wearing a Full tilt jersey the whole tourney, i would think this means he was staked by full tilt, as he was wearing the jersey for the whole month and a satalite would mean he'd have to wear it only in the main event. So probably 50%. FT pays, splits his winnings

Guest Anonymous

On a related note, does anyone know how much of each of their pros full-tilt owned? As they were giving away percentages as prizes, I would assume it was at least the small percentage they gave away to their customers.

On a related note, does anyone know how much of each of their pros full-tilt owned? As they were giving away percentages as prizes, I would assume it was at least the small percentage they gave away to their customers.
I doubt they owned any. They pay the pros to be spokesmen and billboards, not to give them a piece of their winnings. Same thing with the percentages...it was just a chunk of their marketing budget.