daniel and phil talking about the challenge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil basically said he is NOT going to play Daniel. He beat around the bush but he knows Daniel will beat him. Daniel has major balls to challenge anyone to any game, he is good and knows it. Reminds me of Jack Nicklaus in his prime.....Jack Nicklaus KNEW ....1) He was a better golfer than you!2) That YOU KNEW he was better than you!3) That YOU KNEW THAT HE KNEW he was better than you!Daniel is psychologically far superior than his opponents....Call him what you want Daniel is Nicklaus & Tiger at the table!

I think Daniel is a great player, but comparing him to Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods is insane. During Tiger's incredible run it wasn't a question whether or not he was going to win, just by how many strokes. This isn't a knock on DN at all, but he is not feared by other poker players nearly as much as Tiger is by other golfers.

Phil basically said he is NOT going to play Daniel. He beat around the bush but he knows Daniel will beat him.No. He just thinks he can find better ways to put half a million to work.Hellmuth is one of the best holdem players on the planet. I'm not sure why anyone plays Daniel, aside from ego. There's almost certainly easier ways to utilize the money for any great player than to play another one heads up.

Phil basically said he is NOT going to play Daniel. He beat around the bush but he knows Daniel will beat him.No.  He just thinks he can find better ways to put half a million to work.Hellmuth is one of the best holdem players on the planet.  I'm not sure why anyone plays Daniel, aside from ego.  There's almost certainly easier ways to utilize the money for any great player than to play another one heads up.
Maybe....but you dont invest your money if you don't think the stock is good do you? Phil knows its not worth the risk because the odds of Daniel winning are better.

Maybe....but you dont invest your money if you don't think the stock is good do you? Phil knows its not worth the risk because the odds of Daniel winning are better.I really don't think that's the case, and I DEFINATELY don't think Phil thinks that's the case.

Maybe....but you dont invest your money if you don't think the stock is good do you? Phil knows its not worth the risk because the odds of Daniel winning are better.I really don't think that's the case, and I DEFINATELY don't think Phil thinks that's the case.
Phil stated the odds of winning the match is not worth the money.... he said Daniel has about a 5% advantage in a few games. I dont know, all I am saying is Daniel has the game and the psychological edge than most good poker pro's....NOT ALL but MOST.

I realize these 'Poker Pros" have to market ther egos, but gimme a break. To hear Daniel talk about the "amatuers" with such a condescending attitude makes me sick. Listening to Daniel complain about having to work his way through the crowd during a break and comparing it to Michale Jordan having to mingle with the fans during a game is hilarious.Daniel, there are about 20,000,000 players out there that play as well as you do. Poker is not rocket science..Its a game of intuition and math..you may do well is listening and learning from a realist like Raymer and what he has to say when he talks about the game. Everyone at that final table and everyone at that final tournament probably play with a 10% variance in skill level. Pros are no better than amatuers. The only, repeat only, difference between amatuers and pros is that amauteurs have chosen a life that includes other responsibilities beside playing poker. To hear Daniel squeak about how it seems a little unfair that these "amatuers" should compete for the World title and that there should be a way to get the"name" players in the final table for ratings is his understanding that his influence in this game, and the influence of the other "pros" has a shelf life similar to his hair on his head.Poker is a game that many millions of people can play well, and we dont watch to see the name players. We watch to see the action and how folks react to each situation. The ratings will be just fine, you watch.

No. He just thinks he can find better ways to put half a million to work. Hellmuth is one of the best holdem players on the planet. I'm not sure why anyone plays Daniel, aside from ego. There's almost certainly easier ways to utilize the money for any great player than to play another one heads up.Well said.Call Phil crybaby, egotistical, etc. but he is NOT stupid. He has a huge ego, but he won't go and challenge Daniel to a match that he might be a slight underdog in. Granted a hold'em match up might be 50-50, but he won't flip coins for $500K like some pros would. He looks to invest his winnings in ways that he know will bring him guarenteed income. His books may not be good enough for the poker savvy, but to the general public, it sells.Phil isn't your typical "rounder". He is a poker player, but also a businessman who promotes himself to make money away from the table.And last, he may be a jerk at the table but a lot of people say his a really good guy away from the table: family man, donates to charity (tried starting a charity poker tour), and great businessman.

I realize these 'Poker Pros" have to market ther egos, but gimme a break. To hear Daniel talk about the "amatuers" with such a condescending attitude makes me sick. Listening to Daniel complain about having to work his way through the crowd during a break and comparing it to Michale Jordan having to mingle with the fans during a game is hilarious.Daniel, there are about 20,000,000 players out there that play as well as you do. Poker is not rocket science..Its a game of intuition and math..you may do well is listening and learning from a realist like Raymer and what he has to say when he talks about the game. Everyone at that final table and everyone at that final tournament probably play with a 10% variance in skill level.  Pros are no better than amatuers. The only, repeat only, difference between amatuers and pros is that amauteurs have  chosen a life that includes other responsibilities beside playing poker. To hear Daniel squeak about how it seems a little unfair that these "amatuers" should compete for the World title and that there should be a way to get the"name" players in the final table for ratings is his understanding that his influence in this game, and the influence of the other "pros" has a shelf life similar to his hair on his head.Poker is a game that many millions of people can play well, and we dont watch to see the name players. We watch to see the action and how folks react to each situation.  The ratings will be just fine, you watch.
so you are saying that "name " players are taking too much of the credit for the poker boom? alot of ppl got into poker by seeing these ppl on tv , then playing themselves...what i got from dn's comment was it's frustrating for some of the pros that beat 95% of the pros only to lose on a donkified play by joe schmo ...most of these pros thank god everyday they get the endorsement money thrown their way..thats possible becasue of us, the fans...i think you heard what you what you wanted to hear....

is phil one of the best hold em players in the world yes...would it be a close match...yes...could phil keep it even with dn...maybewhats key about phil is that he is also a business man..he doesnt see poker as just being a crazy gambler..he actually cares about the money and that is why he wouldnt risk 500k...maybe if he was backed he would but thats about it..

First off .. the last thinkg phil would need is to be backed in a match like that ..second, hellmuth is as good if not better a NL holdem player as DN (no disrespect to DN, but he has the hardware to prove it) ..It is probably the blow to his ego if he lost that prevents him from playing ..

First off .. the last thinkg phil would need is to be backed in a match like that ..second, hellmuth is as good if not better a NL holdem player as DN (no disrespect to DN, but he has the hardware to prove it) ..It is probably the blow to his ego if he lost that prevents him from playing ..
phil wont ever risk that much money..if my memory is correct..he sat at the big game and couldnt handle the cash amounts...yes he could stake his own money but would he? no i dont think so..i aint tryin to say he isnt good..jsut that he wouldnt do it

And Daniel may want a rematch after losing to Phil in a 2003 WSOP final :club: (Phil got his 9th bracelet)Also, you don't win nine bracelets and numerous other tournaments w/o being a good heads up player. He also was runner up in the WSOP heads up event in 2002.So he can play heads up, just doesn't like the risk.But why not play for 100k or 200k?

There's no upside for Phil here. If he wins, big deal. If he loses, maybe he sells less books.That's true. I wonder how much he makes away from the table...Since your a writer (I have no clue how much an author makes) Smash, care to venture a guess?

I wonder how much he makes away from the table...Since your a writer (I have no clue how much an author makes) Smash, care to venture a guess?No idea. Ryalty deals vary wildly, and I'm not that fammiliar with the numbers the poker market does, if he actually wrote any of the book or if it was ghostwritten etc.