should there be drug testing for the wsop?

LMAO... I dont even know how this is a relevent question...I try not to be critical of others posts, but this is way out there. What would drug testing accomplish in poker??? What drug could someone possibly take that gives them an advantage in poker? The only reason for drug testing is to "supposedly" level the playing field.I vote for IQ testing, Man we could really thin the field then...
Now that's a great idea!!!
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What would drug testing accomplish in poker???
Maybe the greatest poker player alive would have straightened himself out before going out like a chump. Maybe we would have got to see years and years of Ungar playing. Wouldn't that be something for poker.In the immortal words of Napoleon Dynamite: IDIOTS!
I think were winning them over, what do you think?
Maybe the greatest poker player alive would have straightened himself out before going out like a chump. Maybe we would have got to see years and years of Ungar playing. Wouldn't that be something for poker.In the immortal words of Napoleon Dynamite: IDIOTS!
I think you're straight up delusional.
Are you sure cause there are some scary azz Pot Heads in poker. fwiw
I'm one of them and I see no clear advantages.
So you should start testing people who do pull tabs, scratch tickets and play the lottery, no doubt. All that money on the line and all.Can you imagine the number of scratch tickets a coke head could clear in an hour? The possibilities are endless.
I thought poker was a game of skill. It's so funny how you guys are acting like this affect poker in such a major way. The pros are taking poker mainstream, I'm asking if this is a logical extension of that. So if your pissed about how popular poker has become, take it out on the pros . . .DN, Doyle, team FullTilt . . . that's not my problem.But the FACT is poker is becomming mainstream and the pros would like to see more of that. To be taken seriously there should be acceptable and unacceptable conduct. And you guys argue in favour of drug use . . . winners!
Many major professional sports and amatuer events (olympics) require drug testing. If poker really wants to become a main stream sports should drug use be banned?It would certainly thin the field. And I would argue that it can give someone an advantage. If you don't think coke or speed would give you added focus during a grueling tournament like the ME than you've obviously never done these drugs.However think of what could be lost. Stu Ungar would have been banned from competing. The Mouth, though not proven, has likely used during this years main event.What do we want clean poker or anybody can play f-up or not?discuss.
this may be the worst post ever
I think you're straight up delusional.
No see, I don't do drugs!!!
Many major professional sports and amatuer events (olympics) require drug testing. If poker really wants to become a main stream sports should drug use be banned?It would certainly thin the field. And I would argue that it can give someone an advantage. If you don't think coke or speed would give you added focus during a grueling tournament like the ME than you've obviously never done these drugs.However think of what could be lost. Stu Ungar would have been banned from competing. The Mouth, though not proven, has likely used during this years main event.What do we want clean poker or anybody can play f-up or not?discuss.
this may be the worst post ever
Saying that a thread is the worst ever, is sort of like opening the fridge pulling out a gallon of stale curded milk, saying "This is the worst milk ever" Then proceeding to pour yourself a bowel of cheerios. Doesn't make a lot of sense eh?

To the original OP. You are getting brief, candid responses, becasue you madea generalization about the game and what should be done. Do you have any proof that any player has used or is using drugs? You provide prrof and data to support your claim as to how and why it would make the game better and I'll do the same to show the other side of the story. Remember, we need definitive proof and data to back how drug use is bad for the game or how it gives an advantage to players not using. You need to provide what will happen to the game after this hypothetical drug testing was implemented and show us how it would better the game in each specifric facet. Low buy-in tournaments, medium buy-in, lerge buy-in etc...By the way. I noticed you said that the ME should be played on a level playing field. A person that is in shape and younger has a mental advantage over older out of shape people in general. Mental accuity is part of the game. Some people drink RedBull others don't. Again, you have a substance or thing that makes one player better off or not than another. Are you suggesting they ban alcohol as well? Pot comes from an naturally growing plant, beer is manufactured, which do you think should have more restrictions?What exactly constitutes you drug list. Not all sports restrict the same things. I'm only helping you figure out what you need to provide us to convince us. GL.

To the original OP. You are getting brief, candid responses, becasue you madea generalization about the game and what should be done. Do you have any proof that any player has used or is using drugs? You provide prrof and data to support your claim as to how and why it would make the game better and I'll do the same to show the other side of the story. Remember, we need definitive proof and data to back how drug use is bad for the game or how it gives an advantage to players not using. You need to provide what will happen to the game after this hypothetical drug testing was implemented and show us how it would better the game in each specifric facet. Low buy-in tournaments, medium buy-in, lerge buy-in etc...
Huh? You want us to get proof that players are using drugs before we drug test them? Hmmmmm I guess we'll set up cameras in every poker players house and hire PI's to shadow them.
Are you sure cause there are some scary azz Pot Heads in poker. fwiw
I'm one of them and I see no clear advantages.
Ok you got my attention now. 1. Why do you smoke pot? 2. Is your post more directed toward conduct like you don't wanta buch of Daniel Baldwins in poker? Personally I hate narcotics and prescription drugs. fwiw

Well if all we here is that pros can't make it in a feild of 5900+ wouldn't drug testing limit the feild? Wouldn't that give pros a better shot a final tabling? Wouldn't that make for better TV? or doeswatching the mouth play 8 unkowns get your rocks off?I think it would be in the interest of any sport/game that want to conductitself professionally to have a code of conduct. Does drug testing make for better baseball? Probably yes, but these guys are role models (just as poker players are) and should be held to a higher standard if they want a chance a the most prestigous award in the game.

Obviously never done them before... wow does that make you cool or something for having tried them?Retarded post
Doesn't make me cool. But I've seen some amazing things done by people on speed and so anecdotally I can say that the effects of such drugs do make an impact on performance.
Amazing things? Like what? Were they able to calculate quadratic equations in seconds without a calculator or computer? :club:

Blah... i got tired of reading the posts on the second page.Yeah, buddy, you're an awesome debater! You open the thread with an open accusation that Matusow has been snorting coke because he was once caught with coke? Am I going out on a limb to say that you don't know the full story (as most don't, aside from Mike and his good friends)?Ridiculous. It's just a game. A game in which people put up THEIR OWN money. I don't even touch any drugs aside from alcohol and I would not play in any event where I was told I could put up my own $10k for the opportunity to get piss tested. Invasion of privacy. These aren't pros under a contract making millions. It's some guys putting up their own money, GAMBLING that they can win more. Get your morals out of my business. You have yours, others have theirs, I have mine. If some guy thinks he is going to help himself by using a highly addictive and threatening drug, fine. I'm not too worried about it.I do'nt know what type of people you hang around that have told themselves coke will help them focus, but you're wrong. That's so rare, it's ridiculous. The only drugs that could possibly help are those that are prescribed to persons suffering from ADD or ADHD. I may be wrong, but I don't believe the USCF tests their players (professional chess) at tournaments. That is a much better comparison than football and poker.You're being ridiculous, and backing it up by a "Holier Than Thou" attitude. Tone it down. Come back to Earth. You are better than no one.

First of all, your last paragraph. Ephedrine, if I'm correct is the same as Ephedra which is banned by football and baseball.
Ephedrine was banned by the NFL after Korey Stringer (Minnesota Vikings) died. MLB started down the road toward banning ephedrine after Steve Bechler (Baltimore Orioles) died, but it is currently only banned by minor league baseball. It is not currently banned by MLB but will likely be added to the banned substances list after the current Collective Bargaining Agreement expires in 2008. Ephedrine is also banned by the IOC, I believe.
Ok you got my attention now. 1. Why do you smoke pot? 2. Is your post more directed toward conduct like you don't wanta buch of Daniel Baldwins in poker? Personally I hate narcotics and prescription drugs. fwiw
1. Because I'm a drug addict and its the least harmful drug I've found. Drugs destroy one thing or another and pot is a way of minimizing that damage.2. My post is because unlike in snowboarding where pot has no affect, there are deffinately drugs that help poker players. It seems unethical. I don't think it will ever happen, but seriously consider if they barred Ungar from winning his last championship. How might the last year of his life gone differently? without a half million in cash?
Blah... i got tired of reading the posts on the second page.Yeah, buddy, you're an awesome debater! You open the thread with an open accusation that Matusow has been snorting coke because he was once caught with coke? Am I going out on a limb to say that you don't know the full story (as most don't, aside from Mike and his good friends)?Ridiculous. It's just a game. A game in which people put up THEIR OWN money. I don't even touch any drugs aside from alcohol and I would not play in any event where I was told I could put up my own $10k for the opportunity to get censored tested. Invasion of privacy. These aren't pros under a contract making millions. It's some guys putting up their own money, GAMBLING that they can win more. Get your morals out of my business. You have yours, others have theirs, I have mine. If some guy thinks he is going to help himself by using a highly addictive and threatening drug, fine. I'm not too worried about it.I do'nt know what type of people you hang around that have told themselves coke will help them focus, but you're wrong. That's so rare, it's ridiculous. The only drugs that could possibly help are those that are prescribed to persons suffering from ADD or ADHD. I may be wrong, but I don't believe the USCF tests their players (professional chess) at tournaments. That is a much better comparison than football and poker.You're being ridiculous, and backing it up by a "Holier Than Thou" attitude. Tone it down. Come back to Earth. You are better than no one.
Isn't this a bit of a double standard?

This thread is ridiculous. Drugs do not give players an advantage, the more focused and clear minded you are the better you play, unless you are simply on a huge rush of hands. Drug testing in poker would be a joke, how many other games/sports with drug testing (aside from the fact that poker is not a sport, and games do not drug test) not only allow drinking at the table, but also serve it to you?

I don't think the big question is wether or not it gives players an advantage. I think the bigger question is should it be done to clean up poker's image and the fact that they are being idolized now.

To the original OP. You are getting brief, candid responses, becasue you madea generalization about the game and what should be done. Do you have any proof that any player has used or is using drugs? You provide prrof and data to support your claim as to how and why it would make the game better and I'll do the same to show the other side of the story. Remember, we need definitive proof and data to back how drug use is bad for the game or how it gives an advantage to players not using. You need to provide what will happen to the game after this hypothetical drug testing was implemented and show us how it would better the game in each specifric facet. Low buy-in tournaments, medium buy-in, lerge buy-in etc...
Huh? You want us to get proof that players are using drugs before we drug test them? Hmmmmm I guess we'll set up cameras in every poker players house and hire PI's to shadow them.
No, I want you to prove how eliminating them or testing for them will effect the game in a positive way (you'd also need to show why its a bad thing now). You need to show why you should test before you can see if anyone is doing anything. You're letting your moral greatness get in the way of reason and logic.
Blah... i got tired of reading the posts on the second page.Yeah, buddy, you're an awesome debater! You open the thread with an open accusation that Matusow has been snorting coke because he was once caught with coke? Am I going out on a limb to say that you don't know the full story (as most don't, aside from Mike and his good friends)?Ridiculous. It's just a game. A game in which people put up THEIR OWN money. I don't even touch any drugs aside from alcohol and I would not play in any event where I was told I could put up my own $10k for the opportunity to get censored tested. Invasion of privacy. These aren't pros under a contract making millions. It's some guys putting up their own money, GAMBLING that they can win more. Get your morals out of my business. You have yours, others have theirs, I have mine. If some guy thinks he is going to help himself by using a highly addictive and threatening drug, fine. I'm not too worried about it.I do'nt know what type of people you hang around that have told themselves coke will help them focus, but you're wrong. That's so rare, it's ridiculous. The only drugs that could possibly help are those that are prescribed to persons suffering from ADD or ADHD. I may be wrong, but I don't believe the USCF tests their players (professional chess) at tournaments. That is a much better comparison than football and poker.You're being ridiculous, and backing it up by a "Holier Than Thou" attitude. Tone it down. Come back to Earth. You are better than no one.
If you explain what you mean, maybe I could figure out how to disagree or agree. Apologies, but this whole thing pisses me off, and I'm tired of people calling Matusow names and shit when they don't know anything.
If you explain what you mean, maybe I could figure out how to disagree or agree. Apologies, but this whole thing censored me off, and I'm tired of people calling Matusow names and censored when they don't know anything.
Thank you. I would like to know how any of these people know that any player is actually doing or has done drugs. Someone saying they did is not proof, they may very well have been lying. This is where the original OP and his supporter have lost track and made assumptions.
If Stu Ungar had been clean he would have won a lot more than the 3 ME bracelets that he picked up.
and more importantlyhe might be ALIVE.