on-line as a "profession"

I have read over the last couple months that some of you have being thinking about turning this fun hobby into a job and i was looking for someone dates on that. Love to hear when you started how much you are up or down from when you started, and maybe month average's i.e 200-1000 bucks a month.And if you are doing it for a living, are you just plaing cash games or sit-go's maybe?Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read over the last couple months that some of you have being thinking about turning this fun hobby into a job and i was looking for someone dates on that. Love to hear when you started how much you are up or down from when you started, and maybe month average's i.e 200-1000 bucks a month.And if you are doing it for a living, are you just plaing cash games or sit-go's maybe?Thanks
I use it as a strong supplement to my pt job while i'm in college. make around 250-300 a month in relatively limited amounts of 1/2 sh limit hold'em and stud. So i guess that doesn't make me a professional, but it is half of my income

I had some time off work for a couple weeks and played on stars for 4-5 hours a day. In the 2 weeks I played I made $840 profit. Mostly 2 tabling .5/1.Started with a $50 deposit, and built it up from there. I played in a few s&g's as well, but mostly broke even. I also cashed in a $20 MTT for about $100 profit.But now I am back at work so I can't really play that often. I think it can definately be done, as long as you realize there will be good days and bad days.

I work full time M-F and play poker in the evening and on the weekends. I make around $500 a month factoring in good, average, and bad months over the past 2 years. Its probably really difficult to play online exclusively as a job.

I've made about $10,000 a month since I moved up to $5/$10 about three moths ago. Before that I was doing probably $4 or $5k a month at 3/6 but I was playing less hands. I'e really been focusing on getting a lot of hands recently.It's not the bulk of my income, but I'll never be homeless while internet poker is around.

I've made about $10,000 a month since I moved up to $5/$10 about three moths ago. Before that I was doing probably $4 or $5k a month at 3/6 but I was playing less hands. I'e really been focusing on getting a lot of hands recently.It's not the bulk of my income, but I'll never be homeless while internet poker is around.
So your making 120K per year playing online poker :roll: Are you planning on curing cancer next?

How many hours a day do you average Smash?8-10. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I ussually get about 10,000 hands a week in.So your making 120K per year playing online poker Rolling EyesAre you planning on curing cancer next?Not sure what that means, exactly.Lots of people make much more than $100,000 playing online. Most of them are hesitent to talk about just how easy it is.I'm not even inculding rakeback in my earn either./shrug.

Not sure what that means, exactly.Lots of people make much more than $100,000 playing online. Most of them are hesitent to talk about just how easy it is.I'm not even inculding rakeback in my earn either. /shrug.
So you don't have a "real job" then?Did you go to college?I'm just curious no sarcasm.
Just curious, what do you do for a living? 8-10 hours of poker/day doesn't leave too much time.

I for one don't doubt for one second that Smash is cleaning up at 5/10. I am curious as to why you say there are who are so successful at it, but are hesitant to talk about it. Taxes?? It's gotta be super tough to play 40+ hours a week of poker. I played about 8 hours one day between tourney's and cash games, and as much as I love poker, I was burnt out. Smash, you must be writing some great novels for 10K a month from poker to not be the bulk of your income. I think you should post some short stories for the FCP crew. :wink: On a related note, there is an interesting series by Mason Malmuth on the 2+2 magazine site about the financial aspects of going pro. Josh Arieh has an article about it as well which you can find at his blog (although IMHO Mason's article is much better).

I for one don't doubt for one second that Smash is cleaning up at 5/10. I am curious as to why you say there are who are so successful at it, but are hesitant to talk about it. Taxes??Yeah, probably. I know a few 30/60 Party players that refuse to talk about their bankrolls at all.Oh and I write romance novels. Really I write the same one over and over, but you know. I just recently switched publishers and am taking some time off from writing to be around for my wife without worrying about deadlines etc, so I've had more time to play.

Not sure what that means, exactly.Lots of people make much more than $100,000 playing online. Most of them are hesitent to talk about just how easy it is.I'm not even inculding rakeback in my earn either. /shrug.
So you don't have a "real job" then?Did you go to college?I'm just curious no sarcasm.
not been around very long? He's got a real job.He's Master of the Universe (sw)But seriously, if you're bored you can search through the archives of his 5k+ posts and find out.
Yeah, probably. I know a few 30/60 Party players that refuse to talk about their bankrolls at all.Oh and I write romance novels. Really I write the same one over and over, but you know. I just recently switched publishers and am taking some time off from writing to be around for my wife without worrying about deadlines etc, so I've had more time to play.
Romance novels? Are u kidding me? The 8 foot tall bulletproof midget writes romance novels. Are u Danielle Steele?
Yeah, probably. I know a few 30/60 Party players that refuse to talk about their bankrolls at all.Oh and I write romance novels. Really I write the same one over and over, but you know. I just recently switched publishers and am taking some time off from writing to be around for my wife without worrying about deadlines etc, so I've had more time to play.
Romance novels? Are u kidding me? The 8 foot tall bulletproof midget writes romance novels. Are u Danielle Steele?
smash you should really fill out yer profile, once a week this happens. save some forum space
I just recently switched publishers and am taking some time off from writing
When you switch publishers, do you take your characters and rights to reprint the books you did for the original publisher with you?

Some people I've heard make 500,000-1,000,000 a year playing online poker. I wonder how much a guy like Dags makes though.

When you switch publishers, do you take your characters and rights to reprint the books you did for the original publisher with you?Characters, yes, reprints is a lot more complicated, but my originial publisher will continue to run my existing books so long as they sell.

Smash-- I've enjoyed you posts for a while, this is the first thread where I've ever read what you actually do for a living.So you write trashy romance novels? Is there a forumla you follow, sort of like mystery novels? That's actually pretty interesting. Makes sense.The bulk of my income (although I'm a student) comes from writing. I write political stuff though, all non-fiction. I wish I could spend some time trying to write fiction though.

When you switch publishers, do you take your characters and rights to reprint the books you did for the original publisher with you?Characters, yes, reprints is a lot more complicated, but my originial publisher will continue to run my existing books so long as they sell.
lol. I am still baffled by this. BAFFLED! Smash is a romance novelist. Have you ever thought of writing a screenplay for a poker movie (as i'm sure there will be like 10 coming out in the next few years)

. Have you ever thought of writing a screenplay for a poker movieNot really.I wrote a screenplay with my wife as a joke once, though called "Double Dutch" about a poor Irish immigrant 12 year old who was a world class Irish Step Dancer. When his illegal immigrant parents die in a car crash, he has no where to go and is "adopted" by a poor black harlem family. The boy won't speak after his parents death, but one day he sees two young girls jumping rope and joins and goes on to win the national jump rope championship in heroic fashion.Coming soon on ABC Family...

. Have you ever thought of writing a screenplay for a poker movieNot really.I wrote a screenplay with my wife as a joke once, though called "Double Dutch" about a poor Irish immigrant 12 year old who was a world class Irish Step Dancer. When his illegal immigrant parents die in a car crash, he has no where to go and is "adopted" by a poor black harlem family. The boy won't speak after his parents death, but one day he sees two young girls jumping rope and joins and goes on to win the national jump rope championship in heroic fashion.Coming soon on ABC Family...
:club:

edited*** to get rid of the braggart....except i've learned that besides being a decent player (i do consider myself a rising phil ivey though (hey always good to shoot for the stars), im 21, uh oh, bring it flamers (j/k)), money management is so f*cking important... just gotta fight that compulsive gambling bug off sometimes

10k / month is my min. goal... and depending on mtt sucess this number is sometimes crushed...Those who think this is a lot of money just aren't good players...when i was in school I would routinely make 10k a week...... I dont post to brag.
that was a lot of bragging for a guy who doesnt post to brag.