doyle brunson makes bid to buy the wpt...

if you want to make money, short the stock now.....And Killer Poker Online was horrible. I learned nothing other than the guy told you to concentrate properly while playing online, then in the same paragraph talked about how he wrote the book while playing online.

Guest Anonymous
if you want to make money, short the stock now.....And Killer Poker Online was horrible. I learned nothing other than the guy told you to concentrate properly while playing online, then in the same paragraph talked about how he wrote the book while playing online.
LOL
I'm not a terribly stock-minded person, but is it normal practice to offer double the value of the company when attempting to buy it? Anyone else thinking that this move might be motivated by more than money? Other reasons may include:1. D.B.'s well-documented dissatisfaction with the management of the WSOP over the last number of years. Perhaps he wants to solidify another institution as the most significant one, which leads to...2. His interest being as big a part of the "new era" of tournament poker as he was during the formative years.Or maybe it really IS just about money....I wonder who the other investors are. Perhaps "The Corporation" from the Andy Beal games is making another move...maybe they can play Beal heads-up for their respective companies...heh heh.
My business is the stock market so I will say he is offering one heck of a premium at 700 million when the stock has a cap value of 357 million as of yesterday. I hope Doyle doesn't have a lot of his money tied to it as one never knows but with only about one million viewers that sounds very pricey.Trust me on this, it is all about money. They are using Doyle's name to sell the idea. I seriously doubt he is in it for any other reason. The "corporation" are not business people at all.Just my two cents.

Lakes Entertainment owns about 62% of WPT Enterprises and Lyle Berman is CEO and the major shareholder of Lakes Entertainment, I think he owns around 20%. Lakes Enterprises shares are up 26%.Would this mean that Berman is probably one of the backers with Doyle or is Berman as shocked as everyone else?

Since Shauna left I might start watching it again, she was absolutely clueless and it was beyond obvious. Bad news. If you think Shana was bad, you will hate the new girl. Courtney Freel makes Shana Hiatt looks like a rocket scientist. I went to the first taping for Season 4 at the Mirage and heard every interview she did. It was downright awful. She is also nowhere near as hot as Shana is. I disagree with the thought that they need new hosts. I don't have a problem with Mike and Vince. My question is who would you like to see them replaced with?Lindy

hmmm ... if this went through I would love, absolutely love, if Doyle and Bael got back to discuss setting another match and use the WPT as a place to tape and then air the matches in some sort of mutual agreement(not that they can ussually come to one, at least I can dream a little)

Since Shauna left I might start watching it again, she was absolutely clueless and it was beyond obvious.quote]BLASPHEMY!! Pure and simple BLASPHEMY! Shana was the saving grace of the entire show. Without her I don't know that there is a reason to watch except to count how many times vince calls a pocket pair "wired"...so vince are they paired or wired??? Isn't that the same thing??? I'm so confused (s/w)

I'm not so sure. Right now most of the revenue comes from the travel channel and a good contract could guarantee that for quite some time. With that sort of a solid foundation and the good will of the gaming industry as it continues to consolidate, it doesn't sound like trouble.Take that a little further and add in the new on-line gaming division, all the merchandising opportunities and the future is pretty bright. I can think of dozens of other businesses they can enter, as well.

I'm not so sure.  Right now most of the revenue comes from the travel channel and a good contract could guarantee that for quite some time.  With that sort of a solid foundation and the good will of the gaming industry as it continues to consolidate, it doesn't sound like trouble.Take that a little further and add in the new on-line gaming division, all the merchandising opportunities and the future is pretty bright.  I can think of dozens of other businesses they can enter, as well.
I actually meant that the deal probably won't happen and this 11 point jump will go back down. A lot of hype around poker and this is probably an over reaction.The WPT is probably solid, but the percentage jump in stock is excessive.
I actually meant that the deal probably won't happen and this 11 point jump will go back down.  A lot of hype around poker and this is probably an over reaction.The WPT is probably solid, but the percentage jump in stock is excessive.
Yea it's already retreated a few bucks as the pump and dump daytraders profit take. The company's stock already seemed overvalued and this is just crazy considering their financials. Any weekend developments will be interesting but this definately isn't a stock Buffet will be tagging as a value.

Heard about this from a trader this morning. All I could respond to her was, "Doyle's come a long way from underground games on the dusty back roads of Texas!"

I'm not so sure.  Right now most of the revenue comes from the travel channel and a good contract could guarantee that for quite some time.  With that sort of a solid foundation and the good will of the gaming industry as it continues to consolidate, it doesn't sound like trouble.Take that a little further and add in the new on-line gaming division, all the merchandising opportunities and the future is pretty bright.  I can think of dozens of other businesses they can enter, as well.
I actually meant that the deal probably won't happen and this 11 point jump will go back down. A lot of hype around poker and this is probably an over reaction.The WPT is probably solid, but the percentage jump in stock is excessive.
Why won't the deal happen. There's obviously no regulatory concerns. The tender was 200% of market - at this point it really comes down to Berman wantng to sell or not. Its a fair price, and it would be easy enough to sell control and still keep a big chunk if you want to ride its growth.

i seriously doubt that Doyle didn't tell Lyel Berman of this. THey are both good friends. I think that Doyle has to have a biger TV deal lined up, and probably for another chanell. Some major networks would probably rather do buisness with him as he is a legend and is very outgoing, plus he doesn't have some of the shady past that his old running buddy Amarillo SLim has. THis will be very interesting and could be a big thing for poker

I'm not so sure. Right now most of the revenue comes from the travel channel and a good contract could guarantee that for quite some time. With that sort of a solid foundation and the good will of the gaming industry as it continues to consolidate, it doesn't sound like trouble.Take that a little further and add in the new on-line gaming division, all the merchandising opportunities and the future is pretty bright. I can think of dozens of other businesses they can enter, as well.
Why won't the deal happen. There's obviously no regulatory concerns. The tender was 200% of market - at this point it really comes down to Berman wantng to sell or not. Its a fair price, and it would be easy enough to sell control and still keep a big chunk if you want to ride its growth.
Told ya. It is dropping. Wish I would've took my word for it and shorted.....http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=WPTE&t=3m
Told ya. It is dropping. Wish I would've took my word for it and shorted.....http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=WPTE&t=3m
For now, but 10 days isn't what I'd call a usual investment period. I don't want to work that hard, when its supposed to be my money working. I;ll check it next quarter.
i seriously doubt that Doyle didn't tell Lyel Berman of this. THey are both good friends. I think that Doyle has to have a biger TV deal lined up, and probably for another chanell. Some major networks would probably rather do buisness with him as he is a legend and is very outgoing, plus he doesn't have some of the shady past that his old running buddy Amarillo SLim has. THis will be very interesting and could be a big thing for poker
I was told by an eyewitness that Lyle was surprised by the move. This is based on his reaction during the start of the ME. But, really, only the top circle knows. In any case, typically you don't make a PR announcement like this in the middle of private negotiations.I'm waiting to see what is going to happen. It's all behind closed doors.

I think it would be great for the WPT, because they would finally go down the path that they have avoided, which is allowing players to have logos on shirts/hats/etc. If this comes to pass it will be great for the players, and great for the WPT, as the entrants for these events will double, due to the fact that online sites will start running many more satalites.