post removal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Earlier today, I raised the issue of whether the Negreanu Open was a violation of this forum's rules based on the fact that it advertises a certain online poker site. You know the one where Raymer and Moneymaker play and endorse. I pointed out how it was a double standard because the mods were allowing this, and in fact promoting it, while not allowing other advertising. The explanation I received was that it was "merely for fun." I pointed out that if it was merely for fun then why not make it a freeroll. Also in the explanation I received I was directed to a thread where it was made clear that the mods, Daniel, FullContactPoker, blah, blah, blah did not endorse the tournament. I pointed out that this disclaimer does not change the rules, or at least it should not change the rules, because anyone could place a similar disclaimer beside an outside link. The response from the mods was that nobody was profiting from the tournament. I pointed out that the online poker site rhyming with smokertars was directly profiting from the tournament. The more people that register, the more money made. I also mentioned a farfetched (or so I thought at the time) notion that a forum member may be "working" for the online poker site that has a celestial ring to it. I suggested that such a person would in fact profit from directing traffic (forum members) to the site. I didn't really think this was the case, but after the response I received I am not so sure. The response I received to my points was post removal. The mods, or one in particular, removed my post. It is nowhere to be found. My point was not an effort to get the tournament cancelled. I just think that there should not be a double standard. Rules are rules. They either apply to everybody or nobody. To arbitrarily decide who must follow the rules and who does not have to is fascist. Then again, so is the removal of a post simply because it raises a point that you would rather not deal with. If the post was deemed to violate the rules, why was it not immediately removed? It was responded to by a mod and only after I countered with points that made the response suspect was the post removed. Suspicious, no? Discuss amongst yourselves.....

Guest Anonymous
The moderators do not "promote" the Negreanu Open. It is a member tournament held and run by members.
pro·mote    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (pr-mt)tr.v. pro·mot·ed, pro·mot·ing, pro·motes 1. a. To raise to a more important or responsible job or rank.b. To advance (a student) to the next higher grade.2. To contribute to the progress or growth of; further. 3. To urge the adoption of; advocate: promote a constitutional amendment. 4. To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product. 5. To help establish or organize (a new enterprise), as by securing financial backing: promote a Broadway show. A topic section devoted entirely to the Negreanu Open and a blind eye cast toward the advertisement and exclusive use of one specific site may constitute "promotion."

They are only helping us keep it clean. I started to hold a private tournament for FCP members only. They liked the idea and set up a forum for us to use. We can have private tournaments whereever we want. It doesnt have to be a stars.Really think about it...seriously.

Guest Anonymous

I have no problem with the tournament per se. My problem is the double standard. Why are posts removed because they are deemed as advertisements yet this continues to be permitted. My solution would not be to cancel the tournament or disallow specific reference to the online poker site. My solution is to perhaps have a topic in the forum specifically for advertisements. Members could provide links to sites they recommend or offer help to other members for bonuses and such. I have seen posts removed because they provided a link to a site where someone could find out how to get added bonuses to some online poker rooms. Why? The explanation was that someone could profit from the traffic generated from fullcontactpoker. Is the online poker room where the Negreanu Open is held not profiting from traffic generated from fullcontactpoker? They get a fee (I believe it's $1) for every person that registers for the Negreanu Open. If I were to come on this forum and talk about how great the tournaments are and how much fun they are and trash talk people to encourage them to "take me on" is it not a reasonable assumption that I may receive a certain percentage of that money?

Do you get riled up for whole day like this when you see someone go through a Stop sign without coming to a full stop and berate them for hours about how it's illegal?Just curous, because I could see people driving in a car with you thinking "What the **** is wrong with this guy?"

wrto, you are missing the point. The OP is merely pointing out that the moderators are allowing, and by your own admission encouraging via the creation of forums, the indirect promotion of a particular online poker client. This would seem to be against the very rules with regards to spam (i.e. the promotion of products or services) which the moderators have set forth and are charged with enforcing. He tried bringing it up with the mods whose responses were contradictory and in stating that the Negreanu Open was 'for fun' blatantly false. It is not just for fun. It is also for money. Instead of then providing logical explanations or attempting to reconcile the situation with their own policies, they simply deleted the posts, exercising their power with the purpose of concealing this contradiction. Clearly they do not want this being discussed. The issue is not with the tournament, it is with the way in which the mods handled a simple and logical query. And concur with the OP. i found it disturbing that posts are dissappearing. Yesterday someone posted a fabricated story about how they busted DN at the WPT Atlantis event. I tried to show a friend what i thought to be a humerous attempt by a naive poster to make himself look good which backfired horribly. This thread has been removed. Why has it been removed? it was not offensive, or contrary to forum policies. Sure it was untrue, but many things posted here are untrue. If the Mods are attempting to determine what is truth and what is not, that is truly fascist. Let the readers decide what to believe. that is one of the benefits of free speech and public forums in which to exercise this right.

Guest Anonymous
I had a lengthy response to this, but it dawned on me how ridiculous this topic is.If you have nothing to add to the forum other than starting posts of this nature go elsewhere.
Maybe it dawned on you that you did not have a response at all other than to delete the original post (and probably this one too).Please tell me what is wrong with this post. Is this a touchy subject and a topic you would rather not discuss?

Let it the **** go, will you people?What do you possibly hope to accomplish here? What's the goal? To ruin a freindly tournament a lot of people play in? Why? What is ****ing WRONG with you people?? IS it just a new generation of mindless authority loving automotons who get worried when the rules get broken even if there's no harm or malice?I weep for the future of our country."The rule says that we have to burn the books, so we're buring the books".

Guest Anonymous
Do you get riled up for whole day like this when you see someone go through a Stop sign without coming to a full stop and berate them for hours about how it's illegal?
Aaah Smash, I knew you would make an appearance. I am not riled up. Now if there was a cop watching that stop sign handing out tickets to everyone that failed to come to a complete stop except for one person, I would want to know why that person didn't get a ticket.
that is one of the benefits of free speech and public forums in which to exercise this right.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these privately owned forums, where the moderators/owner can choose what content and type of things are allowed, as well as not allowed? This isn't a case of "free speech" being repressed because you don't have the right to post anything you want here, nor should you be able to.

I am not riled up. Now if there was a cop watching that stop sign handing out tickets to everyone that failed to come to a complete stop except for one person, I would want to know why that person didn't get a ticket.Would make a citizens arest if you were walking by and saw a car not stop?That's what your doing here.Acutally a better metaphor is you taking a video of the car going through the stop sign, bringing the video to the police station and demanding that they be ticketed and then arguing when the cop tells you "What are you, an idiot?"What is you post intended to acconplish?Seriously, answer me that and I'll start a post saying how clever you are.

They get a fee (I believe it's $1) for every person that registers for the Negreanu Open. If I were to come on this forum and talk about how great the tournaments are and how much fun they are and trash talk people to encourage them to "take me on" is it not a reasonable assumption that I may receive a certain percentage of that money?
I think the moderators are making a judgment call here, deciding that there's a clear difference betweeen spamming for a site ("Come play at Acme Poker, use this code, and you'll get $X free while I get $X for the referral!") and allowing board members to mention where a private tournament for board members is being held. To do it your way, the announcements for the poker tournament would have to be in the "spam forum" or "advertising forum" or whatever it would be called. Not the most user friendly way to post that info, imo. From where I sit, it looks like you're getting upset over a trivial amount of money. It's not like the mods are in negotiation with the site over what % of kickbacks they'll get on the whopping $1 per player the site is making by holding the tournament. Last word of advice: if you want your concerns to be dismissed as emotional Chicken Little ranting, calling someone a fascist is a good way to start.

Even though I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks, I've noticed that most people on here get along quite well, and the Negreanu Open is a big success-the tournament is not held on Pokerstars to promote pokerstars--I know for a fact that partypoker.com and other sites do not offer the kind of private tournament that the creators of the Negreanu Open wanted.Why this topic is even being argued is a mystery to me...we're here to talk about how to play A 9s on the button when the player UTG raised pre flop...we're not here to talk about advertising.Why can't we all just get along?

Let it the censored go, will you people?What do you possibly hope to accomplish here? What's the goal? To ruin a freindly tournament a lot of people play in? Why? What is censored WRONG with you people?? IS it just a new generation of mindless authority loving automotons who get worried when the rules get broken even if there's no harm or malice?I weep for the future of our country."The rule says that we have to burn the books, so we're buring the books".
Now THAT's funny.