I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I don't care.I think DN is a great poker player, and he also seems to care about being a good person, which I admire even more.However, yesterday people around the world gathered to try to bring people's attention to the terrible poverty still causing people to die every day in Africa. Every three seconds, someone dies from illnesses that are easily prevented and/or treated here in the US and in other parts of the world where we're lucky to have access to things like penicillin.I think it's terrible timing that, on the day that many people threw themselves into this cause, trying to change the course of the world in a meaningful way, DN chose to detail a $3,000 shopping spree. It just feels unfortunate and badly timed. Anyway, if you want to do something, you can sign the list (http://www.live8live.com/list/) which will be presented to the leaders of the G8 conference, in an attempt to bring about some meaningful change.And sorry for the criticism, Daniel, as I really am a big fan of your play, and I admire you for being brave enough to open up your life in your blog. I just think the timing here was poor. If you read at average speed, in the time you took reading this, ten people have died. Eleven... Twelve...

And how many people died during the time it took you to write that post, 30, 40, 50?See my point? Instead of trying to do something, you post about a blog most people enjoy reading. Why don't you go and volunteer your time instead of writing this crap, and rather than sign up for a list that will do no good to any of those people you care so much about that are dying, why don't you send them money or better yet, move there and help them buy the things they don't have? Jeez some people.Hey DN, by the way, Stacie and Clinton give you $5,000, but you have one more day :-) I thought I was the only guy who watched that show, LOL!.

And how many people died during the time it took you to write that post, 30, 40, 50?See my point? Instead of trying to do something, you post about a blog most people enjoy reading. Why don't you go and volunteer your time instead of writing this crap, and rather than sign up for a list that will do no good to any of those people you care so much about that are dying, why don't you send them money or better yet, move there and help them buy the things they don't have?
I have done those things - donated my time and my money. Part of donating my time is trying to make others aware of the problem, like here. And signing the list will help - it will be presented to the leaders of the G8 in an attempt to make them realize the world is watching. If you had bothered to read it, rather than just criticizing, you would have seen that.

You're right you will get flamed for this. I enjoy volunteering my time and money to help the less fortunate. However, I hate when people try to make me or others feel obligated to give to the less fortunate. As an American, I don't feel it is my duty to help people in poverty in other nations. Please don't give anybody the line of BS that we should not be so caught up with material possessions. If you truly believed in that philosophy, you would not own a computer, and therefore you would not be able to make this post. Good day sir.

OP: You want to help people in other nations? Sell your computer, sell your possessions and move over there. You're not going to? Then stop complaining about what DN's doing. Oh, big deal, he went on a shopping spree. You've never splurged before? BS. DN's doing what he has every right to do and people like you need to leave him (and the rest of us) alone with your self-righteous crap.DN - It's good to know you can still have a good time in the midst of this streak. It may not have been poker, but it was still a very enjoyable blog entry. :club:

To the Op:I'm not going to flame you but I am going to give a bit of advice. I don't doubt that you have the best of intentions and I believe this subject is something that is very dear to your heart. If you truly want people to go to the link you have posted and sign, I think it would have been best if you simply posted it in the OT explaining how important is instead of posting it here and insulting Daniel for buying some new clothes. When trying to arise awareness about a matter as important as this you should never take a self-righteous approach. It distracts from what really matters. In the future you may want to stop and think if what you are about to say will really help your cause. I don't see anything wrong with what Daniel wrote. Yesterday I helped a friend buy a car and afterwords he called everyone he knew to tell them about it. Is there something wrong with what he did too? I agree that this is an important cause, but I don't agree with what you posted about Daniel's blog. In the future try to be a little less judgmental of other people.

Sometimes I actually feel bad for Daniel because the guy can't catch a break no matter what he writes. It's pretty bad when you go out shopping to release some stress, and you get an incredible guilt trip. :shock: On a much lighter side, Daniel are you getting any fashion advice? Please don't buy the exact same style of shirts in an assortment of colors. That's beyond gay. Pants you can get away with, but shirts are a big no-no. Second, I'm all about metro-sexuality, but you seem to be embracing this a little too much. Third, you should mix some "man-ly" clothes in your wardrobe. Women like a guy to dress nice, but also a guy that looks like a man occasionally too (not a pretty boy). And I'm not talking about oversized sports jersey's. That's so played out. Just trying to lighten the thread, and help you out a bit. :wink:

It's a shame you had use Live 8 as ths upport for your argument as it is the most insulting and ineffective PR stunt of all time. Do you really believe:1. G8 leaders have no idea about poverty.2. Its is as simple as a slogan to end work poverty?3. That economies can just suddenly swing and everything will be great.Its true, give an african nation a good price on its beans and the all the land will be filled with green fields. Sorry to be rude but after 3 years of economics you become anoyed at people who feel the solution is so simple. Are you part of the Make Trade Fair and Fair Trade produce movement? If so, I am sorry to say that you have successfully stunted the economies of countless nations and local producers - even Starbucks stopped when they realised this.What Africa needs is a continent wide nation building plan, such as the one Gordon Brown is developing and piching through (he has already reduced the debt to certain nations) and what group is Brown part of? What group is Brown a serious big hitter in? In what group is Brown considered one of the most educated and effective members of all time?It is not your place to judge DN's spending habits, you could have just posted about the unfortunate coincidence between his spree and the pop culture Live 8 but I had to post this 'flame' becaue like so many 'aware' people you choose to critise others, repeat slogans and not really do much else, or when you do, you do it only so you may counter claims of inaction. I worked a nearby homeless shelter last Christmas and was disgusted by the attitudes of others working there, they actually thought they were better than their friends who had gone out to a party.Sorry to act like a dick but this thread hit something in me.

First off how do you know that Daniel didn't donate $3000 to a charity. He was just sharing a fun shopping spree, loosen up.Additionally how is nations sending more foreign aid to get stolen away by dictators and war lords going to help those people who are suffering from hunger and diseases? G8 nations aid dollars are not helping development and peace in third world countries.When governments waste money in this manner it comes from your tax dollars. I'd rather research reputable charities and give my tax dollars to organizations who are building water wells, buying farm animals for villages, giving farming training and equipment etc...I'd rather have lower taxes as I believe I donate my money in a more responsible manner than the government. Do you think the Government spends tax revunue in a efficient and responsible manner? I don't many people who believe they do.Anyway Peace

we all have to dedicate our time...Frankly, I shoped yesterday too... groceries.... would you like the list? Would that offend the starving? (Who probably arent reading this...)Daniel is busy, he has tasks and goals each day.... things to accomplish... bloging is one of them, the content of which is his life, usually not meant to be political. It may be that he was unaware of the "awareness concert" since you would have to know about/watch the concert to actually have your awareness awareified.I think you making it a political thing, rather than just what it is, is pointless. You have now increased the awareness at Daniels expense... so congratulations, you have accomplished you goal... I guess.You deserve flamage... you couldve handled that differently.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I don't care.I think DN is a great poker player, and he also seems to care about being a good person, which I admire even more.However, yesterday people around the world gathered to try to bring people's attention to the terrible poverty still causing people to die every day in Africa.  Every three seconds, someone dies from illnesses that are easily prevented and/or treated here in the US and in other parts of the world where we're lucky to have access to things like penicillin.I think it's terrible timing that, on the day that many people threw themselves into this cause, trying to change the course of the world in a meaningful way, DN chose to detail a $3,000 shopping spree.  It just feels unfortunate and badly timed.  Anyway, if you want to do something, you can sign the list (http://www.live8live.com/list/) which will be presented to the leaders of the G8 conference, in an attempt to bring about some meaningful change.And sorry for the criticism, Daniel, as I really am a big fan of your play, and I admire you for being brave enough to open up your life in your blog.  I just think the timing here was poor.  If you read at average speed, in the time you took reading this, ten people have died.  Eleven...   Twelve...
I just hope Daniel doesn't start worrying about what he should write in his blog for fear of jealous idiots ranting about every word he writes! Is he not allowed to shop? Buy nice things? He earned his money like you did! I personally enjoy his blogs because they are honest and from the heart! All you haters need another forum. But back to the shopping spree, I am just glad he doesn't shop at Versace!
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I don't care.I think DN is a great poker player, and he also seems to care about being a good person, which I admire even more.However, yesterday people around the world gathered to try to bring people's attention to the terrible poverty still causing people to die every day in Africa.  Every three seconds, someone dies from illnesses that are easily prevented and/or treated here in the US and in other parts of the world where we're lucky to have access to things like penicillin.I think it's terrible timing that, on the day that many people threw themselves into this cause, trying to change the course of the world in a meaningful way, DN chose to detail a $3,000 shopping spree.  It just feels unfortunate and badly timed.  Anyway, if you want to do something, you can sign the list (http://www.live8live.com/list/) which will be presented to the leaders of the G8 conference, in an attempt to bring about some meaningful change.And sorry for the criticism, Daniel, as I really am a big fan of your play, and I admire you for being brave enough to open up your life in your blog.  I just think the timing here was poor.  If you read at average speed, in the time you took reading this, ten people have died.  Eleven...   Twelve...
Please stop going to college, immediately. Get a real job, throw away any clothing made of hemp, figure out what it's like to pay bills and throw down $800 to fix your ride. Heck, get a morgatage payment. Anything to provide a little perspective. Poverty in Africa? I'm more worried about the brain-dead idealistic mouthpieces being created by "higher education" in America. The G8 isn't the problem ... it's corrupt politicians in foreign countries who have figured out how to convince people like the OP they don't exist. Every 3 seconds, a young African is murdered in the slowest way imaginable, being starved to death by a murderous regime. We don't need to forgive debt to these countries, we need to send in the Marines. Then, once the despots are out of place, at least any money we give them (or debt we forgive them) will actually benefit the people starving, not the people killing.Save a life -- yours. Free it of ignorance, supercilliousness and dogma, and maybe then you'll understand why $3,000 shopping sprees are absolutely necessary to OUR well-being as Americans.
:club: Oh, thanks for the post, OP. I needed a laugh as I get back to work after a long weekend. That is, unless you were actually serious. Wait, you were. :? I always find it amusing to see someone think they're "making a difference" by watching a concert and asking that people "sign" an internet website. Do you really think things are that simple? Everyone knows there is poverty in Africa. Everyone knows there is an AIDS epidemic. Most people know that African governments need debt relief. This isn't a simple problem--and to treat it as such just trivializes its true magnitude. Why is it exactly that AIDS is an issue in Africa? We can just send a boat-load of AIDS drugs to help, right? And they'll be able to take a complex regimine of different drugs, take them at the right times and have the health infrastructure to adequately with side effects, right? And we should just cancel their debt and give them more money and everythign will be perfect, right? They won't have any problem with the money being allocated improperly due to widespread corruption issues and sometimes non-existant governmental structure. No, it really is that simple--if everyone were to forego their shopping spree and donate that money, everything will be WONDERFUL!!It is amazing that you think that your actions are somehow doing a great service to mankind and Daniel's is "poor timing". Well, you need to get off your high horse and get a reality check on your true impact. Signing a website doesn't do squat. Watching a concert doesn't do squat. Preaching to others and condeming their actions just turns them away from your cause. If you have some real ideas on how to fix the problems our world has, lets hear them. But until then, stick to educate people (and yourself) on the issues, do your part and keep your trap shut when you don't think others are doing enough.And FWIW, the only thing i'm truely disappointed in Daniel for is the fact that Pink Floyd played together LIVE for the last time ever, and he missed it. THAT is disappointing.

OP, are you serious??????3k?, what kinda car do you drive?..what kinda jeans do you wear, have you ever bought name brand over generic??? Why do we have to give to everyone as americans?? Y0u think his timing was poor?, you questioning a grown mans shopping habbits is Poor. I have no clue how much he is worth, but if he wants to take $3000 and flush it down a toilet he can. Its not the wealthy's job to take care of the poor.I heard a figure a few months back, the US gives roughly 80% of financial aid, and 70% of food aid. What else do you want us to do. Our lives would be so much better if we didn't have to give $$$ and babysit africa, middle-east, asia. Thats not our fault, we are one of the youngest nations and we do really good for ourselves. And you think we don't give enough? Trust me i feel really bad for people and kids that starve, but hey, i've got 40k in school loans and payments of my own. And as much as people whine about africa, we should fix the problems we have here. I spent last weekend in chicago attending some cubs games and saw countless bums and homeless people. Lets worry about them before we worry about africa. We have our own vets and mentally challenged folks living on OUR streets. lets fix the problem here before we TRY to fix africa.and whatever that g8 guys name is, Geldolf or whatever...started this to promote his band it wasn't about africa but it got someones attention.My final point, its his BLOG!, its not your blog, its not save the earth blog, save the starving africans blog, I read it b/c i enjoy poker and enjoy seeing what he has to say...from dictionary.comMain Entry: blogDefinition: to author an online diary or chronology of thoughtsEtymology: 1999-2004; abbr. of WeblogUsage: blogged, blogging; blogger, nhis thoughts, I think you you owe him a huge apology for insulting him. I'm done. Its a shame this is my first post, and i have to be such a jerk, but thats just awful. you suck OP

On a totally unrelated noted (sort of) Daniel, you have some great taste in clothes! What other brands do you purchase? Lacoste has some great new things out. :-)

Daniel,Why would you take the time to tell us the price of the things you bought?Is it so that you can feel like your so important that we care?I love watching you play poker, and your antics, but after reading your shopping spree entry, I have lost a lot of respect for you.If you wanted to tell us what you bought, fine, lame, but who cares. By including the costs of them you have lowered yourself to a something of a Paris Hilton wannabe or something. Okay. We get that you are swimming in money, but obviously you have somewhat of a low self-esteem, maybe from all your recent losing in the WSOP, that you feel better by reminding us all that you can go drop 3K on a whim. Well, guess what, we know you have money. You don't have to rub our noses in it.

Classic liberal feel-good stance. Just throw money at a problem and watch it go away. NOT!Save the world elsewhere if you feel you must. And Good luck.In the meantime appologize to DN.

Oh no! I feel really bad that I had to get shoes today while someone probablly died. Although they weren't $500 shoes like Daniel bought, I should of went to Africa to save everyone instead. (What's up with Daniel posting the price of his clothing? Everyone already knows he is rich. And whats the difference between $500 shoes and $50 shoes?At the end of the day your feet are going to stink.) In conclusion, this is the dumbest post I have ever seen. I thought Daniel's post was bad, but this, hey why are you cooling yourself down when people are dying in Africa? Come on.

Daniel,Why would you take the time to tell us the price of the things you bought?Is it so that you can feel like your so important that we care?I love watching you play poker, and your antics, but after reading your shopping spree entry, I have lost a lot of respect for you.If you wanted to tell us what you bought, fine, lame, but who cares.  By including the costs of them you have lowered yourself to a something of a Paris Hilton wannabe or something.  Okay.  We get that you are swimming in money, but obviously you have somewhat of a low self-esteem, maybe from all your recent losing in the WSOP, that you feel better by reminding us all that you can go drop 3K on a whim.  Well, guess what,  we know you have money.  You don't have to rub our noses in it.
You just took it the wrong way. It had nothing to do with "showing off" at all. I just thought it would be a little bizarre, strange, and possibly interesting to share. Your post is in line with the blog entry entitled "No Win Situation." I post a lot of personal stuff in that blog, and since I had the receipts handy I thought I'd figure out how much I spent. Sharing that information wasn't intended to insult people at all. You read too much into it and assume I have some alterior motive. Dude, I just thought it would be funny.
Daniel,Why would you take the time to tell us the price of the things you bought?Is it so that you can feel like your so important that we care?I love watching you play poker, and your antics, but after reading your shopping spree entry, I have lost a lot of respect for you.If you wanted to tell us what you bought, fine, lame, but who cares.  By including the costs of them you have lowered yourself to a something of a Paris Hilton wannabe or something.  Okay.  We get that you are swimming in money, but obviously you have somewhat of a low self-esteem, maybe from all your recent losing in the WSOP, that you feel better by reminding us all that you can go drop 3K on a whim.  Well, guess what,  we know you have money.  You don't have to rub our noses in it.
You just took it the wrong way. It had nothing to do with "showing off" at all. I just thought it would be a little bizarre, strange, and possibly interesting to share. Your post is in line with the blog entry entitled "No Win Situation." I post a lot of personal stuff in that blog, and since I had the receipts handy I thought I'd figure out how much I spent. Sharing that information wasn't intended to insult people at all. You read too much into it and assume I have some alterior motive. Dude, I just thought it would be funny.
You read too much into it and assume I have some alterior motive.  Dude, I just thought it would be funny.
I thought it was funny. Did you buy like the same shirts, just in a different color? Were you at the Forum Shops around the same time as the Victoria Secret Superstore opening???
You read too much into it and assume I have some alterior motive. Dude, I just thought it would be funny.
I thought it was funny. Did you buy like the same shirts, just in a different color? Were you at the Forum Shops around the same time as the Victoria Secret Superstore opening???
What's really funny is how seriously people take his blog, like he alone can stop the starving in the world. The things people post amaze me, I don't know why DN puts up with it but I'm glad he does. I think if I were him I'd be banned from my own site.