2 people have the nuts, do you bet?

I was playing at a $3-$6 w/kill at the stardust a little while back, when some guy and I get involved in a pot. I don't remember the actual board but nuts was an ace high straight and all you needed was the ace. so something like 10 :D j :club: Q :D 5 :) k :D . Well, I had the ace so I make a bet on the river The guy raises me, I know I have the best possible hand so I re-raise, He re-re-raises,I chose to re-re-re-raise He called, even though I put him on an ace and everyone else at the table put us both on aces. Everyone said it was a dumb move to re-re-re-raise him when we both might have the same hand. I was wondering what everyone else thought about this?????There argument was that I was just running up the rake for the house, but I still came out from the people who folded on the flop and on the turn.Even the guy I was heads up had to put in his two ****ing cents, but if he was worried about it why re-re-raise me.Never stop raising with the nuts I figure. (the dealer agreed with me)

Well, unless he's a donkey, and wants to keep betting out with the bottom straight, then you should've just called. You're just driving up the rake if you know you're going to chop the pot. Why keep putting money in when you know it's a split, and all you're going to do is take back what you put in minus the rake?EDIT - This is variable on whether or not the max rake had been attained by the house on all prior rounds of betting in this hand.

wayyyyyy too many times i've "known" it'll be a split pot with the straight, only to have them turn over top 2 or a set or someting. it's worth the extra .50 or $1 to the rake to find out. holy crap, you both might lose a quarter! no gumball for you!

im sure the max rake was hit before the river hit, so i dont think all the rasing was a bad thing,,,i have learned 1 thing in poker through the years....never take anything for granted,,,sure he PROBABLY had the ace, but you never really know till its turned over...

I've been in a pot where the board was the nutts on the river. 5 people in the pot, and I push all in with the biggest stack. This is before the rake is maxed. I have done this many times, one in three times, someone is stupid enough to fold so its +EV if you ask me. lost an extra .50 twice, make an extra 20$ or more once. If you know you are unbeatable raising is NEVER a bad thing.

if the hand gets to 3 or 4 raises on the river, the rake is most likely maxed out anyway, so any additional raising does nothing for the house.

Most people just get upset because you are wasting time. If it a low limit, someone I don't know, or a reckless player I think it is ok to go to the felt, but if its a conscious player than just call the second raise and move on to the next hand.

if the hand gets to 3 or 4 raises on the river, the rake is most likely maxed out anyway, so any additional raising does nothing for the house.
and you never know if the player has top pair, the ignorant end of the straight, or is trying to bluff you off the hand. i say you push. it's far more likely the guy held onto his ace than that he kept playing with a 9, but you never know...
im sure the max rake was hit before the river hit, so i dont think all the rasing was a bad thing,,,i have learned 1 thing in poker through the years....never take anything for granted,,,sure he PROBABLY had the ace, but you never really know till its turned over...
^ What he said.

i've made hands where the nuts was a 9 high straight. Are you not going to cap that... because you both may have 8/6. I've seen guys flip over trips...two pair...smaller straights(thought they had the nuts and miss read the board) i've even had guys raising me on tilt w a pair of 9's or something stupid like that. U never know.

There's a part in Super System that addresses a similar situation. There's four parts of a straight on the turn, say J,Q,K,A, and a ten will give you the nuts. Your opponent bets and you reraise. He reraises. You have the ten and you're pretty sure he does too. An unsophisticated player will move in right there. Brunson suggests doing some acting. Think about it for a while and shake your head like you have a tough decision to make. Move to fold your hand and then reconsider and call. Your opponent will hopefully give you credit for a set with all of your thinking. If the board pairs on fifth you move in. There's no risk. He either calls and you split the pot, or he folds and you steal it. If the board doesn't pair you just split the pot.In the situation you mention, on the river with all the cards out, I'd just call after the raise, reraise, reraise. There's just no other hand he could have so why build the rake.

If its a straight from connectors and you got the nuts I'd raise all the way through - Never know, some people just "can't let go of a lower straight".However when its an Ace high straight I don't see the point of the several raises.

(the dealer agreed with me)
and who (or more aptly whose a$$) is that in your avatar?
That's that Vida Guerra chick. She's sweeeeeet.
(the dealer agreed with me)
and who (or more aptly whose a$$) is that in your avatar?
That's that Vida Guerra chick. She's sweeeeeet.
i just google-imaged her and almost every shot is of her a$$. deservedly so, since i have seen few better ones.
In the situation you mention, on the river with all the cards out, I'd just call after the raise, reraise, reraise. There's just no other hand he could have so why build the rake.
I was playing in a $2/$5 NLH game. A hand came up where the was a raise and 3 callers for an $80 pot or so. Flop was KKK and it checked around. The turn was a 5 again it checked around. River was the 4th K. So here is a board of KKK5K. Some guy bets out $15, next to act makes it $100, next player shoves 2 racks towards the pot for a bet of $1000. Now a 4th guy goes into the tank for a while until someone calls the clock on him, he finally folds. Original bettor folds. $100 raiser calls all-in, and says "I have a full house" and proudly tables his 77. The other guy flips up A 10 for quads with an A kicker the clear nuts. The guy with the 7's finally has a lightbulb go on and the guy who folded says "damn I had AJ and folded". So here is a hand where the stone cold nuts is any Ace and nobody should lose a penny in the pot without one. And yet we have one guy who folds the nuts and another who managed to lose about $750 with 7 high.The moral is: Assume nothing, what may be very clear to you is not always so obvious to others. People misread boards, get confused, or whatever. Bet the nuts!
wayyyyyy too many times i've "known" it'll be a split pot with the straight, only to have them turn over top 2 or a set or someting. it's worth the extra .50 or $1 to the rake to find out. holy crap, you both might lose a quarter! no gumball for you!
Couldn't agree more.~sublime

This is absurdHow could you possibly even CONSIDER just calling when you know you can't be beat. First of all, the rake will come out of the other players bets who have already folded. Second, even if it dosen't, who cares if you lose an extra dollar to the rake. Think about it. Suppose you're in this situation 100 times and 99 times you split the pot and lose one dollar. Then on the 100th time, you take down a $100 + pot (not including the money you've put in) You break even. If this isn't +EV, I don't know what is. RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!! ... with the nuts until you can't RAISE anymore.

This is absurdHow could you possibly even CONSIDER just calling when you know you can't be beat. First of all, the rake will come out of the other players bets who have already folded. Second, even if it dosen't, who cares if you lose an extra dollar to the rake. Think about it. Suppose you're in this situation 100 times and 99 times you split the pot and lose one dollar. Then on the 100th time, you take down a $100 + pot (not including the money you've put in) You break even. If this isn't +EV, I don't know what is. RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!!RAISE!! ... with the nuts until you can't RAISE anymore.
How about in a tournament? Would you consider check-calling then?Patrick
Lets put it this way, I would never, ever, ever just call. Unless my opponent has already put me all in. The only way all of my money wouldn't go into the pot would be if the betting was capped, or if I tried to trap and get him to re-raise and he just called. You CANNOT lose the hand, it is impossible! ... Why would you ever not want to have all your money in. No argument to this will ever make sense to me.
Lets put it this way, I would never, ever, ever just call. Unless my opponent has already put me all in. The only way all of my money wouldn't go into the pot would be if the betting was capped, or if I tried to trap and get him to re-raise and he just called. You CANNOT lose the hand, it is impossible! ... Why would you ever not want to have all your money in. No argument to this will ever make sense to me.
patrick, i didnt think anyone was going to understand that question. i was right.