moneymaker broke

Looks like C. Mmaker is back where he started...broke. A dealer I know up here said he was just in Vegas, and MM was playing 4/8, and the rumor is he is tapped out. Hard to believe based on how well he plays (based on the few, limited times I have seen), lol. Just another distinction between him and Raymer; I love it when people say "they both suck." Raymer was (and is) a solid player, MM was and is not.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he didnt get the whole 2.5 mil, half went to taxes, that makes it $1.25 mil, half went to his dad who bought have of his stake, makes it $600,000, he paid off his morgage and bought 2 cars, total left $150,000 give or take

he didnt get the whole 2.5 mil, half went to taxes, that makes it $1.25 mil, half went to his dad who bought have of his stake, makes it $600,000, he paid off his morgage and bought 2 cars, total left $150,000 give or take
how did his dad stake him if he won the entry on pokerstars? pretty tough to lose $150,000 if you ask me.

Moneymaker makes me sick, who stays up all night drinking until 6am the night before the world series of poker? especially if you have to defend your title. He looked like a moron to me in WSOP 2004.

If you play with the best & in those big cash games u can lose 150 K in a few hours/ mins !!Only in poker people can & do - go broke after havin millions!!!Kids think this game s like other "pro" -sports , just cos the players are called "pros" and "play" a GAME, noo they are gamblers yalll(!!) who play with money they could have a nice live with after they built a big roll, most can`t do that !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you play with the best & in those big cash games u can lose 150 K in a few hours/ mins !!Only in poker people can & do - go broke after havin millions!!!Kids think this game s like other "pro" -sports , just cos the players are called "pros" and "play" a GAME, noo they are gamblers yalll(!!) who play with money they could have a nice live with after they built a big roll, most can`t do that !!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly. I'm sure the 03 main event champ with a monster ego feels the need to mix it up with the true big boys as much as possible, in which case he is going to be getting the worst of it.
BUT MAYBE YOU DANIEL CAN SAY SOMETHING BOUT THIS TOPIC ( PLAYERS GOIN BROKE) ?????SINCE PEOPLE DONT KNOW MUCH BOUT THIS ?!
did we not just discuss this in the topic named 'Where is Daniel?' ?!?!?!!he is not here, he's at the bahamas or wherever! and you should type in bold when u want to get peoples attention because all caps looks obnoxious.
how did his dad stake him if he won the entry on pokerstars? pretty tough to lose $150,000 if you ask me.
he did win his entry on pokerstars but he wanted money to play with in vegas before the tourney to get some b&m experiance, now you know why his dad was so happy when he won

I really don't believe the rumor of him going broke because he promised his wife that he would only enter tournaments that he got into online, through endorsements, or satellites. Its the tournaments that can really eat up your bankroll. Plus if you play it right you can average at 4/8 just as much as you could at 10/20 or maybe 15/30.

If he paid off his mortgage and owns 2 cars outright, that is hardly bankrupt. Heck, I'd enter tournaments just to get my mortgage paid off. Screw the cash.Its quite easy to blow that much cash. Most lottery winners spend it all in a matter of a few years.The smart thing to do is throw it all in the bank/investments. $2.5 million even at a paltry 5% return gets you $125,000 cash income without touching the original principal. Being an acconutant, Chris shoudl understand stuff like this. He could have paid his Dad the $600,000 over a few years and lived a comfy life. No DOnald Trump lifestyle, but good enough.

As far as I know Chris paid his dad half the win because he staked the 40$ for him to enter the PokerStars satellite tournament. At least that is what the commentary says when you watch the 2003 World Series of Poker on ESPN.

no he did not pay his dad half b/c he staked him a $40 entry fee online. His dad and someone else staked him about 2-4 grand each ( i think it was 2 grand) for travel expenses and extra money to play with in vegas before the WSOP championship event.but i do agree that moneymaker looked foolish at the 2004 wsop showing up with a hangover. He had to know everyone was gunning for him. on the other side of it though, I have read that phil ivey has had his tournament record hurt b/c he stays up so late the night before raking it in from the high dollar cash games. B/c he is so tired he can't concentrate and losing early in some tourneys. But he makes so much in the cash games obviously phil is not worried.