I thought that it was interesting that Daniel mentioned that the "convention of gamblers" vibe is missing from the WSOP. This is probably due to the low proportion of pros milling about the venue. Now you must negotiate thousands of internet punks, unfamiliar faces, and a cavernous room. It probably feels pretty strange when you've been used to the atmosphere of good old smoky Binion's.It was decrepit, but also intimate.It now must feel like you're playing poker at Walmart. It used to feel more like a neighborhood hangout (Cheers). Of course, if Daniel's right wrist was sore from the weight of accumulated bracelets, I'm sure he'd have an easier time putting up with it. Don't worry Daniel there's still plenty of time.But I can imagine how the top players feel a bit alienated in the Brave New World of the World Series.-neretva

Daniel is acting like a bit of a baby to me. Why would he want that type of atmosphere? Wouldn't he rather have the WSOP held in church that served veggies and bottled water? Maybe he should give BINGO a shot? :roll:

I was up there this weekend to check it all out (just a short drive from Phoenix). Saw J. Tilly (she looked less than spectacular but I do like her) and many others, blah blah blah. We stuck to cash games at Bellagio and Wynn. (Nice place that Wynn!).The Rio was a freekin' madhouse! My buddy and I had every intention of playing but decided to pass in the end. So many folks jammin' all in on seriously marginal hands. It was nutz. This years main event is going to be one big crap shoot. I feel sorry for anyone paying their way into that one. You'd almost be better off playing the Lotto!And DN is right, with the proliferation of internet play I think this trend regarding tournaments is here to stay. I can see next years main event costing folks $25K? Wouldn't surprise me at all........

I found the blog quite interesting and think his words are a reaction to his mediocre play. In a year where the fields are huge and the amateurs are probably better than in past years, the pros are rising to the top this year. One pro who isn't rising to the top this year is Daniel Negreneau. I guarantee if his results were better through 20 events, this blog wouldn't be in existence. Daniel sure needs to step it up in the latter half of this year's WSOP.

I don't think my results have anything to do with it. I miss spending the breaks with my friends. I can't do that this year. On the breaks everyone scampers and hides. I haven't been able to finish a 3 minute conversation on a break. It's just different. Even though my results have been poor I still think the facility is awesome and it is a huge improvement. I think the tournament schedule absolutely sucks. The major slap in the face to the game of poker was not including one stinkin' mixed game event. Not one. That is inexcusable. The other problem I have with the schedule is that it is designed ONLY for maximum house profit, not taking into account what the players want. While the $1500 buy ins attract huge fields, ESPN has to be sick about their decision to film so many of them. Just the other day they filmed an event that had not one face that anybody had ever seen before. This is not the biggest tournament in the world at all anymore. The Bellagio alone has SEVERAL tournaments with much higher average buy ins than the WSOP. Last year I think there was a total of three $1500 buy in events. This year there is a $1500 buy in every other day. 1500 in chips gives you one hand, maybe two...

Daniel,think an open petition to Harrah's would help or harm the situation with the WSOP?I'd hate to see Harrah's attempt to commercialize this event in turn destroy such a prestigious event, yet this is what is looking to be happening if a change is not made.It's almost pathetic that they are even holding satellites anymore for these smaller events

I don't disagree with you a bit Daniel...and I've never played at Binion's or the Rio. I can't comment on the atmosphere since I can't relate to it. Maybe the Bellagio events will become a step above the WSOP if they're already not. Nonetheless, the pros are still getting it done. Maybe they are getting lucky with 1500 in starting chips. No one says you have to play in those events. Where have you been in the $2500 or $5000 events? I certainly hope you do well in the 2nd half and am rooting for you every step of the way. You're one of the top players to have at an ESPN final table for your entertainment value and skill.

Even the larger buy-in events are nothing more than a crap shoot. Yes a few pros are doing well. You would always expect a few to do well due to random luck.Most pros, if you sampled them all, are not doing well. Just as you would expect.To expect any one player to do well in these events is unrealistic. The luck factor is controlling in these large fields with small buy-ins.I doubt that any one player has positive expectation in entering these events. The prestige of a bracelet is what they're chasing. If it wasn't the WSOP, most pros would find something more lucrative to do with their time.Enjoy all this while it lasts. When the US government finally cracks down on internet gambling, all of this ends, followed by a "return to normalcy".

I wasn't there - so you should know better ... but my impression is that despite several problems and some mistakes Harrah's is doing a good job handling this big number of people for the first time.Imagine the chaos that would have happend if this event (with that size) would have been run by the Horseshoe.It isn't Harrah's on the first hand - it is the number of people that change the style of the event.I don't like Harrah's too much but from all what I can see from the far distance I think they do a decent job for their first year. Tell them what went wrong, what can be improved etc. They still have to learn and we should allow them to learn from the first years mistakes.I think they are willing to change some (but definitly not all) of those things. If they don't ... then of course they may be doomed to destroy the WSOP over the long haul. But I doubt it - it's too important for them.The big poker hype has upsides and downsides. And one down is for sure that it isn't the Horseshoe WSOP from the last years anymore.I know myself that it is sometimes hard to let go on old habits and things you love. But maybe the future will show that it helped poker more than anything else...Shadow

Most pros, if you sampled them all, are not doing well. Just as you would expect.
Totally disagree with that one!Twenty-two World Series events have completed. Things have gone pretty smoothly, and it looks like the hard work and planning by Harrah’s have paid off. If I had to look for a theme for this event, I would go out on a limb and call it the year of the pro. The first 22 final tables were filled with poker’s finest. Allen Cunningham, Erik Seidel, Chris Ferguson, Phil Gordon, Minh Nguyen, Toto Leonidas, Harry Demetriou, Tony Ma, and Cyndy Violette all made two final tables. T.J. Cloutier, Barry Greenstein, and Josh Arieh all took down a bracelet. And Mark Seif has both wrists adorned in gold after picking off two events. At most final tables there are usually three or four players who have previously stood in the World Series winners’ circle.Excerpt from Barry Shulman's Article " The Year of the Pro?" on http://www.cardplayer.comShadow
Guest Anonymous
Just the other day they filmed an event that had not one face that anybody had ever seen before.
I find it difficult to not interpret this as an elitist comment. However, I can empathize with all of your other points.
I don't think my results have anything to do with it. I miss spending the breaks with my friends. I can't do that this year. On the breaks everyone scampers and hides. I haven't been able to finish a 3 minute conversation on a break. It's just different. Even though my results have been poor I still think the facility is awesome and it is a huge improvement. I think the tournament schedule absolutely sucks. The major slap in the face to the game of poker was not including one stinkin' mixed game event. Not one. That is inexcusable. The other problem I have with the schedule is that it is designed ONLY for maximum house profit, not taking into account what the players want. While the $1500 buy ins attract huge fields, ESPN has to be sick about their decision to film so many of them. Just the other day they filmed an event that had not one face that anybody had ever seen before. This is not the biggest tournament in the world at all anymore. The Bellagio alone has SEVERAL tournaments with much higher average buy ins than the WSOP. Last year I think there was a total of three $1500 buy in events. This year there is a $1500 buy in every other day. 1500 in chips gives you one hand, maybe two...
I think that one thing that you must consider is that you have brought on some of these issues yourself. Think about how many items have your face on it this year that was not there last year. How many of your friends are plastering thier faces on products that did not have them last year? You're making yourselves into icons in the field and now that people notice you at the events that you help make popular you're griping about it. Do you want the fame or not? That's one thing you must consider and deal with. Unfortunatly for you, the game that you chose to play is one that anyone with enough cash can play right along side you. So the rabid fans and any celeb attracts has an easy way to get access to you in this field. In other sports where fans follow thier players, the fans cannot play the game. You must accept that in these tournaments you're on equal footing with the fans.As for the structure of the WSOP, complain about it. You know the people to talk to. If they make the changes that you want, play next year. If they don't, don't show up for the tournament. It's that simple. If it's really the disgrace that you make it out to be, stand by your principles. If you really think that it's all a matter of the house making a profit and not the defining poker event that you want/think it should be, don't help it out by adding your name to it.
Just the other day they filmed an event that had not one face that anybody had ever seen before.
I find it difficult to not interpret this as an elitist comment. However, I can empathize with all of your other points.
Try this interpretation. ESPN is filming because they want name pros that people will tune in to watch. Or at least those that make exciting TV and background stories.The event DN describes is a "loser" for ESPN. I don't think Daniel cares except that the $1500 buy-in events suck.

As a fan, I want to see mixed events on TV and of course at the World Series.The way to convince Harrah's is to show them that it is in their best interest to hold events that the pros like. Sadly, there is a strong monetary interest against that. It runs like a money making business and not for the poker community.I worry about how much pressure or persuasion can be done to overcome the $$$. As for me, I will identify the players (not poker players) and seek out the answers while at the WSOP this year. I met a few people with Harrah's and they do seem genuine in their concerns though lacking a little bit in knowing the scene.The whole circuit thing wound up being a great thing for them. And to be honest the way they handled the WSOP since the handover has been pretty good all things considered.

Wow man, the BELLAGIO tournament is bigger then the WSOP?!?!?!? By just as buy in amounts as standards? Wasn't there just a $5K multi rebuy PL Omaha event and isn't there a $10K PL Omaha event w/ a rebuy coming up? Where is there more prestige? Just because there aren't 5 guys at every table willing to wager $100,000 on if the waitress is a natural blonde or her hair is dyed doesn't have to mean the events have lost thier luster. There isn't a $1500 event every other day. Sure there is more then last year, but there are also a ton more events too. And that one table you are talking about that they filmed with no name pros at it, just because they fimled it now doesn't mean they have to show it on TV. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't. From event #1 (Allen Cunningham, Scott Fischman, the Devilfish) there has been some AWESOME final tables this year. Just look at the $5k Omaha event. Phil Hellmuth, Phil Ivey, Robert Williamson III, ect. I mean are you kidding me. There have been some awesome final tables. Aren't they calling this, "the year of the pro?".I wonder what your post would have looked like if you had Cindy Violette, Allen Cunningham, The Devilfish, Mark Seif, Johhny Chan, or TJ Cloutier's results.I got a felling it might have looked a lot different. Daniel you are my favorite player, but seriously, suck it up man. Get out there and start choking the life out of people at the table again. Just crush it. Like we know you can.On a side note, I do think that they should have a place for player's to go so they aren't bothered during breaks. Maybe a "clubhouse" or "locker room" of sorts. Or a "Loser lounge" like on celebrity poker. haha.
... Last year I think there was a total of three $1500 buy in events. This year there is a $1500 buy in every other day. 1500 in chips gives you one hand, maybe two...
Yes, there's were 3 NL $1500 buy in events and 8 other non-NL HoldEm events (Stud, Limit, Razz).There seems to be so many more this year. But, there are 10 $1500 events (3 are NL I think) and there are more $1K or $2K events than before.
Guest Anonymous
Try this interpretation. ESPN is filming because they want name pros that people will tune in to watch. Or at least those that make exciting TV and background stories.The event DN describes is a "loser" for ESPN. I don't think Daniel cares except that the $1500 buy-in events suck.
They're filming everything they can. How many hours of coverage do you think they'll air this year? Anyone that's going to watch all of it will presumably have at least a casual interest in seeing a variety of players. The whole "I'm as good as they are" attitude is reinforced by seeing no-names win.Have you not noticed the effect that Moneymaker's win a two years ago had on the game and its popularity? (sw)And, in closing, I think the distribution of chips amongst the final players at a table has a greater impact on the quality of poker played then the recognizability of the players at the table. Not that much fun to watch 4 short stacks search for chances to go all in ASAP. Unless you agree with Chad when he complains that players aren't going all in with pocket pairs preflop often enough. Or..more classics...he's on the button, and HE DIDN'T RAISE! (cards irrelevant)

I disagree with Jackal and nbliss. That's it. Thanks for responding.

On a side note' date=' I do think that they should have a place for player's to go so they aren't bothered during breaks. Maybe a "clubhouse" or "locker room" of sorts.
As long as all the players are invited, that's an okay thing to do.
Guest Anonymous
I disagree with Jackal and nbliss. That's it. Thanks for responding.
Buy Hellmuth's and Lederer's dvds if you want to see the celebs on tv more often.

I cannot comment on Daniels game which no doubt is still at a very high level and well above mine, but personally (and I have said this time and time again to many of my fellow players) I cannot understand why and how players can play so many events? In addition DN has very many comittments now that he is a celebrity and this no doubt will impact on his poker and most likely for the worse, but I digress and DN's Journal is not about whether or not his game is currently at it's best.I personally have rationed myself to 12 or maybe 13 events in total and am pleased that they have extended the length over which the WSOP tournaments are played. IMHO they should actually make it an 8 or 10 week series and have 4 or 5 sets of tournaments to enable the ordinary person to come and stay for 1 or 2 weeks and play in a whole range of different events from small to bigger buy ins and in a number of games. If they were to go back to 30 events in a month then the fields would be even bigger and there would be a lot more chaos.We also have to ask how many people can actually afford to attend for the current whole 6 weeks?Much better to allow people to come for a week or two and then go away and come back again towards the main event date if that's what they wish and it helps everyone plan their poker trip to suit their own way of life.Re: Standard of Play I think it is better than ever and just because some names are unfamiliar doesn't make them bad players and ESPN's coverage will make stas of them even if they are currently unknown.(On a side note I do not believe ESPN should be asking us to generate chat at final tables just to help them make a good show. I do a lot of talking at tables at times but at final tables I say very little indeed and I can't see why I should try and do something just to please the cameras. I am there trying to win a title and if they want me as an entertainer then they should pay me accordingly).Re: CommentsAs for talking to the management about the way they have screwed up so many things - IMHO it is pointless...they simply do not care is the only conclusion I can come to as they are not interested in players comments and opinions or if they are they just pretend to listen.The room looks nice but that's it as far as I'm concerned. It is poorly located and they rip us off at every corner and give us virtually worthless $10 comps.In fact the only good things they've done is extend the whole event timewise and made up new chips. Other than that it's disgraceful and disgusting. Even their new decks of cards are cheap and easily marked but as practically all the cards get marked there's little point in having them changed not to mention the poor quality tables and the poor breaking down of tables and non random type draw and poor dealers and floor staff and structures (both playing and paying) and toilet facilities and lack of food and beverage facilities and......................................this list can go on and on and on and on............................I shall go into everything at length at the end of the WSOP but for now I wish to concentrate and prepare for my remaining events but rest assured I shall send a fully detailed report to the poker management and probably end up getting banned for my troubles but what the heck. They don't need me and I certainly do not need them as muchg as I would like to win a bracelet. I would say there is a less than evens chance that I get any kind of reply but I'm still going to try.We need a comittee to meet each year well in advance of the WSOP and be allowed to have an active say in how things will be run but it's never going to happen unless we get some serious competition to Harrah's circus.I liken being a poker player at The WSOP this year to being a slave with one noticeable exception. We have to pay for the privelidge of working and feed oursleves (unlike slaves who were not paid but at least got fed)..........and finally I hear that next year the WSOP is moing to Ceasars.My 4/10 awarded to them previously has been reduced to a 3/10 and they have had plenty of time to get things right or at least improve as the series has gone on but alas the reverse is true:-(

(On a side note I do not believe ESPN should be asking us to generate chat at final tables just to help them make a good show. I do a lot of talking at tables at times but at final tables I say very little indeed and I can't see why I should try and do something just to please the cameras. I am there trying to win a title and if they want me as an entertainer then they should pay me accordingly).
I absolutely and totally agree with this. If ESPN wants artifical bonhomme or verbal aggression or whatever, make Phil Hellmuth an analyst. Leave the people making your ratings and your advertising dollars alone.I can't comment on anything else in the post, Harry, except to say well written, and again, I'm behind you all the aay.PS: Strangely, my wife thinks you're hot. :shock: :oops:
The other problem I have with the schedule is that it is designed ONLY for maximum house profit, not taking into account what the players want.
Well DUH! Why wouldn't they? I understand that you miss hanging out with your friends on breaks. But do you really think that any casino is going to try and not make as much money as possible off of poker's popularity? Adapt, adjust, overcome, and improvise.
But do you really think that any casino is going to try and not make as much money as possible off of poker's popularity?
Harrah's would probably still be making around the same amount if they raised the buy-ins. Yeah, there may be less of a field in the tournaments, but the good amateur players could still outlast satellite fields to get there, the pros could still buy-in outright without it being a total waste, the railbirds could still get their autographs, and everyone, for the most part, would still be happy.