omaha hi/lo hand question

I'll admit I am a novice to Omaha Hi/Lo, which is why I am asking this. I am not sure if this is just a bad beat, or if I made some bad bets. Sorry I don't have more information on the hand either.In a small buy-in tournament, I am dealt A-7-J-J and the flop is J-2-5 (rainbow, 3 players to the flop). After 1 check, I make a pot size bet with top set and a bad low draw. The player behind me calls the checker folds. Is this the right play, a bad move, or do you need more information? The turn brings a 6 and I move in the rest of my chips.The other player calls with 4-6-6-7. Gets a 3 on the river for a straight and better low.Was this simply a bad beat or was I betting when he had the advantage in the hand?Thanks for any input.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Hypothetically, if I had been in the big blind in an unraised pot with 1 limper (not the small blind). Would you still give the same advice?I think I still have a lot to learn. Do you recommend any good books on Omaha H/L?

Ok, thanks for the advice. Hypothetically, if I had been in the big blind in an unraised pot with 1 limper (not the small blind). Would you still give the same advice? Probably. There are two kinds of pots you to be involved in when playing O8. Pots where you have decent scooping chances, and pots no one wants. This one might be one of the latter ones, but the turn is a better place to find out than this flop.The pot is tiny, and playing to win half of a tiny pot is not ussually very produvtive. If you get action on your bet it's trouble, and even seeing a Jack on the turn still leaves you open to lots of redraws for the low side. You're effectively drawing for half of the pot a good deal of the time, and a bad draw gets you scooped from a pot you really shouldn't be involved in to begin with.Ray Zee's book is ok, but there aren't many deep postflop O8 books around, unfprtunately.I'd like to see Aniie Duke write one, and maybe that'll happen.

smash's advice is dead on.even though you were a favorite on every street (65/35 on the flop, 80/20 on the turn, in terms of pure EV), ignore the results.sets are among the most overvalued holdings in omaha hi/lo, and they almost always have to boat up before they're any good--and that's only on the high side.don't play for half the pot. even though you had a 7-low draw, that's not really a low draw.with holdings like that, it's better to slowplay the flop with the intention of pushing hard on a GOOD turn card (one that doesn't complete a low, flush or straight, and preferably doesn't introduce a four-flush or four-straight draw).dont get aggressive with just one-sided hands.aseemp.s. btw, not to seem like i'm kissing ass or anything, but let this thread serve as an example of how smash actually does give good advice when the question is genuine and the OP is actually interested in learning.

After reading the OPs post, I would have played the flop the same way (easy fold preflop). I would have tried to drive out any low hands, and take the pot all for myself, since i'm trying to accumulate chips in a tourney.Of course, I'm a O8 donkey, and have to learn to use common sense when playing games that are new to me. Asseem and Smash are right.