tough question for mr. negreanu.

Hey Daniel, I'll get to the point.I was playing in an online tournament today, it started with 4000 people and when this hand occured only 75 were left. I feel it's important to say this because it tells you people we're tightening up a bit trying to get in the money (Top 9). The Hand:Anyways, the average stack at the table was about 20 000 and I was sitting with 40 000 when I looked down to Pocket 3s. I decided to limp in with them and caught trips off the flop. I played aggressively on the flop with a 3500 bet, and it looked like this: 3 :D 4 :club: 10 :D . I was called by a few players and the turn was ace :D . Again I played agressively with two callers. I was a little worried about the straight so I hoped the board would pair, and it did with the 4 :) coming up. I was raised to 5000, and decided to play back reraising 10 000. After this my other opponent folded and the one who raised previously moved all in. I pondered...then called and lost all my chips to four of a kind 4s. My question to you is:Did I play this wrong, or was is it just brutal timing? Please keep in mind it was online so it was hard to read him.Thanks, hope you get around to answering this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer this.Top 9 pay? You're in a real bad tournament.Were you going to fold? No. Would it have been smart to fold? No.Thus, this post = bad beat. Thus, it should go in the bad beat section and you should stop looking for sympathy. You won't get any from good players.

Hey Daniel, I'll get to the point.I was playing in an online tournament today, it started with 4000 people and when this hand occured only 75 were left. I feel it's important to say this because it tells you people we're tightening up a bit trying to get in the money (Top 9).  The Hand:Anyways, the average stack at the table was about 20 000 and I was sitting with 40 000 when I looked down to Pocket 3s. I decided to limp in with them and caught trips off the flop. I played aggressively on the flop with a 3500 bet, and it looked like this: 3 :D  4 :club:  10 :D . I was called by a few players and the turn was ace :D . Again I played agressively with two callers. I was a little worried about the straight so I hoped the board would pair, and it did with the 4 :)  coming up. I was raised to 5000, and decided to play back reraising 10 000. After this my other opponent folded and the one who raised previously moved all in. I pondered...then called and lost all my chips to four of a kind 4s.  My question to you is:Did I play this wrong, or was is it just brutal timing? Please keep in mind it was online so it was hard to read him.Thanks, hope you get around to answering this.
you played this totally wrong. you had to know a full house was no good on this flop. any good player would have auto folded on the flop.
Thus, this post = bad beat.  Thus, it should go in the bad beat section and you should stop looking for sympathy.  You won't get any from good players.
how is this a bad beat? he was never ahead in the hand at any point, so its not a bad beat. a bad beat is when you are ahead in the hand, and an opponent makes a bad call, and catches cards to beat you. but his 33 was behind to the 44 preflop, and on the flop.anyway BLUFF=MUCK, you shouldnt worry yourself about this hand, set over set doesnt happen all that often. so when this happens you, you are just going to lose chips, thats poker. next time dont reraise the river with bottom full house. especially in this unraised pot, your opponents could have you beat with as weak a hand as 4-3, or A-4. you only want to raise/reraise the river iff: 1. youre sure you have the best hand and can win more chips or 2. you think you can force your opponent to fold. since neither was the case here, the reraise was a mistake.also think about this:the inital unraised pot size [going to the flop] was small, and you make an aggressive bet on a rainbow flop of 10 4 3. this flop doesnt offer much in the way of draws [besides a low straight draw, and who's limping with 5-2 at this stage in a tournament?]. you have to wonder what hand your opponent had to call your big bet on the flop, since the flop didnt offer much.

The way i see it judging by ur stack size relative to par and the prize structure this hand is obviously a clear fold. The only way u should even lead out and bet is if u have a royal and even then u should proceed cautiously. Id say judging by ur wild play of going all in with only a full house that u need to get back to basics and tighten up a bit.

The Flames are pouring in....................toss your cards in and get ready for the next tourney........better luck next time.......

The word you're looking for is "you're"Thus, your post should read:It's not, if you're a pedantic anal prig.  QED.Ah, like candy from a baby.
lol. i forgot the SW. thought you would pick up on it.
Okay I'm a complete newbie to poker but how the hell do you guys workout he should have folded on the flop? The guy flopped trip 3'sFlopping three of a kind isn't as bad as you guys are making out.
you will encounter a lot of heavy sarcasm on this forum. esp. from certain posters who will remain nameless.
Okay I'm a complete newbie to poker but how the hell do you guys workout he should have folded on the flop? The guy flopped trip 3'sFlopping three of a kind isn't as bad as you guys are making out.
cause a set of three's will never win a pot. THe OP should've just open farrelled and gone on from there

Can you keep a straight face and say that again!Trip 3's will never win a pot?Okay I might be new but I've spend the past 7-8 weeks playing 6 hours a day and I've seen 1000's of hands already - trip 3's do win pots, can win pots and will win pots......Then to go on and get a full house the guy had a real chance of winning. The fact that another player also had a pocket pair which turned into trips on the flop was really unlucky.What are the chance of two people drawing pocket pairs which both turn into trips on the flop? Very rare I would imagine....

Can you keep a straight face and say that again!Trip 3's will never win a pot?Okay I might be new but I've spend the past 7-8 weeks playing 6 hours a day and I've seen 1000's of hands already - trip 3's do win pots, can win pots and will win pots......Then to go on and get a full house the guy had a real chance of winning. The fact that another player also had a pocket pair which turned into trips on the flop was really unlucky.What are the chance of two people drawing pocket pairs which both turn into trips on the flop? Very rare I would imagine....
your nickname is misleading. you're obviously anything but keen ...

Actually I'm very keen, I've been putting in a lot of time and effort. But to say that a set of 3's won't win pots just isn't true - I've seen low trips win a lot of pots.Now you guys have a lot more experience than me and I'm keen to listen to what you all have to say but simply saying trip 3's can't win a pot (when I've seen it happen) without explaining why isnt' of much help to newbies.By all means tell me why I'm wrong, just explain why at the same time.

nope a set of threes is an awful hand and should be dumped immeadately. I certainly would never want them, so why should you. Its obvious that the OP was gonna lose from the outset, so he should've been smart and folded on the flop, and yes, I am saying this with a straight facethe open Farrell is the only way to go
Actually I'm very keen, I've been putting in a lot of time and effort. But to say that a set of 3's won't win pots just isn't true - I've seen low trips win a lot of pots.Now you guys have a lot more experience than me and I'm keen to listen to what you all have to say but simply saying trip 3's can't win a pot (when I've seen it happen) without explaining why isnt' of much help to newbies.By all means tell me why I'm wrong, just explain why at the same time.
Are you autistic? For the love of god...
omg.you're obviously new to this forum, because if you were familiar w/ this forum, you'd know that we all know that pocket threes are UNLUCKY.Don't even bother looking up probabilities... they'll do you no good.
omg.you're obviously new to this forum, because if you were familiar w/ this forum, you'd know that we all know that pocket threes are UNLUCKY.Don't even bother looking up probabilities... they'll do you no good.
Look the OP should've just open folded the flop and saved himself all of that heartbreak. If you can't read that you are beat by the time the flop hits, you have no buiness playing poker

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!this is the funniest thread yet i think. honestly. keen keen keen........well, i'm not gonna explain it - anyone else?

I just think it's a shame Daniels forum seems full of people who just want to talk down and belittle new players rather than helping. I've made a valid point, why should this guy have folded trips on the flop?If all you want to do is call names why bother replying?I'm not trying to cause an argument at all, I'm just asking for clarification - I don't think I'm being unreasonable.