moneymaker----raymer----dan n

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely post, but this time I am losing my mind. How can you guys say that Moneymaker is terrible? You all have the right to your opinions, but grow up. He accomplished something that I bet none of us every will. Call it luck, but dont call it terrible playing. He outplayed everyone, period. Now, go play your .50/1 and you $5 MTT's, and...Oh yeah SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, i needed a laugh.
you must be happy that same sex marrige is legal in some places now!!!
I rarely post, but this time I am losing my mind. How can you guys say that Moneymaker is terrible? You all have the right to your opinions, but grow up. He accomplished something that I bet none of us every will. Call it luck, but dont call it terrible playing. He outplayed everyone, period. Now, go play your .50/1 and you $5 MTT's, and...Oh yeah SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!
haha....thx, i needed a laugh.
Are you insinuating that im gay? because that would totally crush my self esteem. Wanna come say that to my face? Im in Toronto, at Bay and Adelaide right now.
Greg Raymer is a skilled poker player. He was a regular winner in the 75-150 mixed game at Foxwoods before he won the WSOP, and has been a very respected poster on the 2+2 forums for years. What you see on TV is not an indicator of skill (although Moneymaker is terrible).
It's true. I have lost to Greg a few times we have played at the same table at Foxwoods a few years back. Thank goodness he wasn't wearing the glasses at the time, but always was trying to sell you a fossil as a good luck charm. I ended up buying one to give to a neice...
Are you insinuating that im gay? because that would totally crush my self esteem. Wanna come say that to my face? Im in Toronto, at Bay and Adelaide right now.
sorry buddy that was meant for "cueball194"plz forgive me!!Ken

Let's all just agree that Robert Varkoni (sp?) was the worst player to ever win the main event, and probably the worst to even win any event at the WSOP.

When one of you win a bracelet in the main event... you can then talk smack about these players, but until then... they are still world champions.

Let's all just agree that Robert Varkoni (sp?) was the worst player to ever win the main event, and probably the worst to even win any event at the WSOP.
what a dork!!!
When one of you win a bracelet in the main event... you can then talk smack about these players, but until then... they are still world champions.
actually, the term 'world champion' is fairly innaccurate. Are you saying the WSOP is the best tournament player in the world? I'd say the Card Player POY deserves that honour. Are you saying the WSOP main event takes the most skill to win? Most pros would disagree, saying that the mixed game event (which was taken out this year) is the most challenging, and the WPT Championship structure allows for more skillfull play than the WSOP main event.

Originally being from Toronto , i would love to see DN there but i highly doubt it . He has not been up to the challenge of late . I've seen alot of poker in the past couple of weeks ( including watching Dn , live ) his mind is obviously pre occupied on bigger things .However for this event one would be led to believe it is important .

I'm just curious how many times you all have watched Moneymaker play poker outside of the WSOP broadcasting and the WPT event?? What is everyone basing their opinions on? If one of you guys wins a seat to the big dance and is lucky enough to win the crapshoot the WSOP has become, does that mean you also are a horrible player?? Come on guys, you dont have to say he is a world class player, but you cant honestly say he is a horrible player, can you?? Give the guy a break.

I'm just curious how many times you all have watched Moneymaker play poker outside of the WSOP broadcasting and the WPT event?? What is everyone basing their opinions on?
On the anecdotal evidence of well respected pros and many semi-pros who have played with him in both tournament and cash game settings since the WSOP, in games of various stakes.

am i the only one who noticed the dubious claim by the OP???

I wish i could afford to play in ever wsop event..i am sure i would cash a few times and make perhaps one final tbl...
I'm just curious how many times you all have watched Moneymaker play poker outside of the WSOP broadcasting and the WPT event?? What is everyone basing their opinions on?
On the anecdotal evidence of well respected pros and many semi-pros who have played with him in both tournament and cash game settings since the WSOP, in games of various stakes.
Can you please provide a link where many pros say Moneymaker is a horrible poker player?But basically you are saying that YOU have no knowledge of his poker playing ability. You are simply basing your opinion on what others have said??Again, I said he may not be a world class player, but he must be skilled enough to not only satellite his way into the tournament, but to win the whole thing.The guy gets a bad rap. He was/is an online poker player just like all of us. I think he at least deserves some credit for what he accomplished. Thats all.By the way, are you playing in the Main Event this year??
I wish i could afford to play in ever wsop event..i am sure i would cash a few times and make perhaps one final tbl...
but doesnt everyone think this??(if only i had 10K .. I swear ......)
I'm just curious how many times you all have watched Moneymaker play poker outside of the WSOP broadcasting and the WPT event?? What is everyone basing their opinions on? If one of you guys wins a seat to the big dance and is lucky enough to win the crapshoot the WSOP has become, does that mean you also are a horrible player?? Come on guys, you dont have to say he is a world class player, but you cant honestly say he is a horrible player, can you?? Give the guy a break.
Yes
Can you please provide a link where many pros say Moneymaker is a horrible poker player?But basically you are saying that YOU have no knowledge of his poker playing ability. You are simply basing your opinion on what others have said??Again, I said he may not be a world class player, but he must be skilled enough to not only satellite his way into the tournament, but to win the whole thing.The guy gets a bad rap. He was/is an online poker player just like all of us. I think he at least deserves some credit for what he accomplished. Thats all.By the way, are you playing in the Main Event this year??
Search RGP archives or 2+2 'for moneymaker' posts in 2004 and you'll find plenty. I remember in particular one anecdote of a respected RGP poster playing a 5-10 NL game at foxwoods with him, where the guy was calling massive all ins with any 2, and hitting the ATM machine about twice an hour. And no, im not playing the main event. The fact that im 20 makes it -EV.
Gee, I guess there is no difference playing in a live tournament with 200 professionals and playing in an online tournament with 1500 fish.
thank you for sidestepping the points I made, and attributing some foolish belief to me that I never made. I'm happy to have had this conversation, but not as glad as having it end. I'm notin the mood to have a fight with a unknown stranger.
Search RGP archives or 2+2 'for moneymaker' posts in 2004 and you'll find plenty. I remember in particular one anecdote of a respected RGP poster playing a 5-10 NL game at foxwoods with him, where the guy was calling massive all ins with any 2, and hitting the ATM machine about twice an hour. And no, im not playing the main event. The fact that im 20 makes it -EV.
Alright Blaze, dont get me wrong, From what I have read here it seems you are a solid player, and I respect what you say and what you have contributed to this forum. However, I cant understand why you cannot give at least some credit to what he accomplished. Im not asking for people to say he is the next DN and I dont think he thinks that either. He won one of the largest poker tournments ever and all he gets is crapped on. Did he lucky, Im sure he did on many occassions. Youre not going to win any tournament without some luck. Im just saying its ignorant of people on this forum to say he is such a horrible player. If you were old enough to play in the WSOP and you won, most likely people would be saying the same about you. Youre an internet player who got lucky and doesnt deserve it. Would this be fair?
but doesnt everyone think this??(if only i had 10K .. I swear ......)
if i only had 10K......i could come up with the best 2 hours of entertainment in my life. and then regret it.
Alright Blaze, dont get me wrong, From what I have read here it seems you are a solid player, and I respect what you say and what you have contributed to this forum. However, I cant understand why you cannot give at least some credit to what he accomplished. Im not asking for people to say he is the next DN and I dont think he thinks that either. He won one of the largest poker tournments ever and all he gets is crapped on. Did he lucky, Im sure he did on many occassions. Youre not going to win any tournament without some luck. Im just saying its ignorant of people on this forum to say he is such a horrible player. If you were old enough to play in the WSOP and you won, most likely people would be saying the same about you. Youre an internet player who got lucky and doesnt deserve it. Would this be fair?
who cares if people give him credit or not. talk will not change the fact that he has a bracelet that says "2003 main event champion" and his pic on the wall of the horseshoe. just cause people don't give him credit know doesn't mean he gets it taken away.
yes yes yes

Alright Blaze, dont get me wrong, From what I have read here it seems you are a solid player, and I respect what you say and what you have contributed to this forum. However, I cant understand why you cannot give at least some credit to what he accomplished. Im not asking for people to say he is the next DN and I dont think he thinks that either. He won one of the largest poker tournments ever and all he gets is crapped on. Did he lucky, Im sure he did on many occassions. Youre not going to win any tournament without some luck. Im just saying its ignorant of people on this forum to say he is such a horrible player. I think we are talking about different things. There is no doubt he is better than your average joe, thats for sure. There is also no doubt one will need a significant amount of luck in order to win an event of that size, at any buyin level. What im saying is that he is not anywhere near the skill level of the 'circuit pros', or even the mid-limit professionals who play in games like the 75-150 mixed at foxwoods (and yes, 75-150 is mid limit poker). He plays these games, and he is way out of his league in them. This is information i have gained from people who have played these games with him. fair enough?If you were old enough to play in the WSOP and you won, most likely people would be saying the same about you. Youre an internet player who got lucky and doesnt deserve it. Would this be fair?Probably. I would be generous if i gave myself an edge over 75% of that field. Probably 40-50% is more accurate.