Gaging overall success in tournaments

I understand that merely cashing in a tournament as compared to finishing in the top 3 is significantly different. So, I am looking for a way to gage my performance in online tournaments. Should I consider only the place I finish? Or should I consider how often I finish in the money? Or some combination of both?

I asked this kind of question in several places (how to calculate EV and sd) but so far there wasn't somebody who really had a good answer.Most important you have to compare the ITM (In-The-Money) results with your buy-in. This gives you your ROI. I heard a number that a longterm ROI of 20%+ is considered really good. But I don't know the math behind this.If your ITM result is 10%+ (longterm) you should make some money (as usually 10%+ of the field are paid at least the buy-in)An important factor is the size of your buy-in. I think you have to use a base buy-in unit if you play different levels (I play online SnG's for $5 up to $200 B&M tournaments).But all those numbers lack in one point: They are longterm projections. But they don't help you to evaluate if you are a long term winner based on your current results.Hope this helps somewhatShadow