nl starting hands

Hey guys, this is my first post and I was curious if starting hands change much from LIMIT to NL. I have played thousands of hours at LIMIT and have decided to give NL a try. Any help or feedback would be great! Thanks I look forward to discussions out here.

Welcome to the forum,Obvioulsy like limit the top 10 hands are playable from most positions though id say 10s -7s only in late position for a raise. Personally I play a lot of NL and I am a set peddler in that I try to limp in as many pots as possible with small pairs looking to hit a set and bust a guy. Depending on the limit this may not be profitable but at the 10 20 NL and 5 10 NL on party I know if I hit a set of 3s vs AK that pairs either I am taking down HUGE pot. NL is more a game of feel then a game of showdown like limit is. I would suggest playing any pair and the top 10 hands, but remember set peddling is only longterm profitable if the following conditions apply:A.) you can limp in or call 1 raise with 4 people in alreadyB.) you are sure that if you hit your set and opponent hits top pair you can extract his whole stack or one heck of a portion of it.Also suited connectors like 56 or 78 can be pretty huge as well if played correctly.

It depends on how you play... I don't play much limit, but I suspect hands like KQ, KJ, Q10 are playable, but in a NL cash game, those hands are absolute trap hands.

I don't play much limit, but I suspect hands like KQ, KJ, Q10 are playable, but in a NL cash game, those hands are absolute trap hands.What the?I allways enjoy folding hands that make nut straights in NL.

I allways enjoy folding hands that make nut straights in NL.
I enjoy folding hands that often get outkicked and lose you HUGE pots.
It depends on how you play...  I don't play much limit, but I suspect hands like KQ, KJ, Q10 are playable, but in a NL cash game, those hands are absolute trap hands.
Wait what? Trap hands? Yea I always have trouble laying down Q10 when that A hits the board....Unless you were calling all ins with these hands, I don't see what the problem is.
I allways enjoy folding hands that make nut straights in NL.
I enjoy folding hands that often get outkicked and lose you HUGE pots.
Ok wow you really are calling all ins with these hands. Maybe it's not the cards that are bad and you're just playing in a fishy manner?
Unless you were calling all ins with these hands, I don't see what the problem is.
Flop comes Q-high. You're outkicked.I'm not saying I don't play these hands, in fact sometimes I bring it in for a raise w/ those type of hands if I'm in position, or I'm mixing things up, but for a beginner I don't think I'd advise calling w/ KJoff from the first 5 positions. These are hands that I might play in position, but I don't like to stand a lot of heat with 'em.
Flop comes Q-high. You're outkicked.Who cares?fold.
Why are you so arrogant?You can't play KQ profitably if you're going to fold all the time on a Q-high flop. If that's the case then you should be looking to play fewer hands, not more. KQ is playable in NL games, especially NL ones, but you need to know your opponents well. You cannot profitably play any hands only for straight value.

Why are you so arrogant?Really, I'm not.The thing is, brain dead idiots like you are so stunningly sensative to someone being better than you in every way shape and form, you mistake that for arrogance.It's ok. I still love you.You can't play KQ profitably if you're going to fold all the time on a Q-high flop. If that's the case then you should be looking to play fewer hands, not more. KQ is playable in NL games, especially NL ones, but you need to know your opponents well. You cannot profitably play any hands only for straight value.Stop being a moron.Seriously.Stop. You're hurting yourself and you're hurting the forum.Just stop.

[You can't play KQ profitably if you're going to fold all the time on a Q-high flop.
Originally when I wrote that I was talking about when you've got Q10. Sorry if it came accross differently when someone was quoting me. I still stand behind my statement, if you've got Q10 and the flop comes Q-high and you're up against any action you're likely beat. Someone is either out-kicking you, paired their kicker for 2 pair, or flopped to a set. This was a beginning NL player asking for advice, and I was just trying to point out that a lot of the cards one would play in limit are trap hands in NL, because they can quickly and easily become the second best hand.

This was a beginning NL player asking for advice, and I was just trying to point out that a lot of the cards one would play in limit are trap hands in NL, because they can quickly and easily become the second best hand.Neat. I didn't know top pair was more likely to beat on the flop in NLHuh.Learn something new every day.

so the topic is NL starting hands.Let me just give u all the final and definitive answer to what hands can be played. It's really rather simple.First there are considerations as in all forms of poker.1. what is my position2. who am i playing with, what are their habits3. what are the game conditions etc.Basicly if you observe and know answers to the questions above, you can play any 2 cards from any position. If your going to be playing trouble hands like the ones mentioned in posts above. (QJ,KJ,K10,A10) etc.you had better be ready to fold if the situation presents it self where u might have kicker trouble.as u all know if u flop a king top pair but have no kick, your in alot more trouble then say you flop an 8 top pair with no kick. Reason being that people play alot more hands that have a king compaired to an eight.Also i'm sure u all realize that in NL your playing the man as opposed to the cards, sure having a nut hand is great but i've had sessions where i win more pots my representing hands.(Generaly, you want to play tight in the front and lose in the back)however watch a player like Gus Hansen he plays any to cards, and bets alot. Wins alot of pots like that so he gets big action on his real hands. Doyle does the same, but is a more solid aggresive pre flop.

also note this.There is nothing wrong with sending out a test bet, if u have top pair no kick. If you get raised u shut down.Check Call , Check Call.if your set all in you need to make a decision. Sometimes in freeroles and small games it might be right to call. TO call an all in u need to have information on the player and recreat the hand.did he raise pre flop? what position is he in? how many hands does he play?see if a guy just calls in mid position and the flop come sayQd-2c-9dand u have a QJ say.He could have suited connectors easy and re raise, especially if he is agressive. J-10s? k-10 or 10-8 etc.check calling is never a bad play if you think u might be beat but have a peice.

Guys everything in poker is situational.... you can play any two cards however you want.... you play too straight forward eventually players will figure you out..... key is knowing when to lay them down... and betting it when you got the best of it....... Starting hands can be a guide but in general, you don't know what your going to do until after the flop, position, players styles, and your own chip stack..... all situational..... no "right" way to play...good luck to everyone