playing pocket aces under the gun

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

NL HOLDEM10 000 in starting chips300 fieldHow do you play your aces under the gun?I like to limp hope that there is a raise along they way and then come over the top with a reraise. I have a lot of chips to play with so should it be a multiway pot i have no problem laying them down. Anyone agree with limping under the gun?

I don't think you should limp with the aces. First hand you don't want to get trapped for all your chips. I would say you should thin the field and raise UTG.

Man, this is not a whiner story, but I'll share this, its funny, and not EXACTLY a bad beat i guess, but it was tough.first hand of MTT.Hand #6575069-1 at Fri920pmA-002 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)Powered by UltimateBetStarted at 17/Jun/05 21:21:59 Mrs Hook Em 7 is at seat 0 with 1500. shawl is at seat 1 with 1500. Jackson33 is at seat 2 with 1500. BNOCIN is at seat 3 with 1500. DJ_Chaps is at seat 4 with 1500. robichan is at seat 5 with 1500. 23osALLIN is at seat 6 with 1500. chico7623 is at seat 7 with 1500. Fletch5795 is at seat 8 with 1500. dmavs41 is at seat 9 with 1500. The button is at seat 3. DJ_Chaps posts the small blind of 5. robichan posts the big blind of 10. Mrs Hook Em 7: -- -- shawl: -- -- Jackson33: -- -- BNOCIN: -- -- DJ_Chaps: Ad Ac robichan: -- -- 23osALLIN: -- -- chico7623: -- -- Fletch5795: -- -- dmavs41: -- --Pre-flop: 23osALLIN raises to 20. chico7623 folds. Fletch5795 folds. dmavs41 folds. Mrs Hook Em 7 folds. shawl folds. Jackson33 calls. BNOCIN calls. DJ_Chaps re-raises to 90. robichan re-raises to 330. 23osALLIN folds. Jackson33 folds. BNOCIN folds. DJ_Chaps goes all-in for 1500. robichan goes all-in for 1500. Tournament all-in showdown -- players show: DJ_Chaps shows Ad Ac. robichan shows Qh Qd. Flop (board: Kd Ah Jh): (no action in this round) Turn (board: Kd Ah Jh Ts): (no action in this round) River (board: Kd Ah Jh Ts 6d): (no action in this round) Showdown: DJ_Chaps has Ad Ac Kd Ah Jh: three aces. robichan has Qh Kd Ah Jh Ts: straight, ace high. Hand #6575069-1 Summary: No rake is taken for this hand. robichan wins 3060 with straight, ace high.

Never limp with aces unless you have no problem laying them down, but even then it's just a waste. Isolate them against other top hands. The last thing you want to do is allow people playing connectors into the pot to crack you cheaply. Always make them pay to crack you because they can be very tough to fold.

That's rough DJ, but it happens 20% of the time. You got all your chips in with a 4 to 1 advantage, after that you just have to hope your cards hold up. You played it right, so you can't really feel bad. About limping with AK...this is acceptable, but you are really just making more work for yourself. You are allowing the other players to catch up for free. I personally like to be aggressive with almost any hand I play UTG. Pressuring the blinds is a good habit to get into, and it can make you a lot of money in the long run.

Why limp with aces in early position? If anything limp in early position and hope to get raised, so that you can come back over the top.

Guest Anonymous
Why limp with aces in early position? If anything limp in early position and hope to get raised, so that you can come back over the top.
thats the idea hereto trapi do it all the time and in tournaments its all about accumulating chips.when i limp and dont get reraised then i have to play my hand differently.

If your bad and cnat fold aces then just raise and keep losing and whining. I don't ever not do something in poker. Every situation is different and I try to do what will get the most chips in when im ahead.

Guest Anonymous
If your bad and cnat fold aces then just raise and keep losing and whining. I don't ever not do something in poker. Every situation is different and I try to do what will get the most chips in when im ahead.
i wont limp with them everytime unger the gun either you do have to keep the other players guessing
The only time I would really advocate NOT raising with Aces UTG is if you have some tremendous read on someone and knwo they're going to bet at the pot then you can raise them and trim the field and probobly make more money.
Guest Anonymous
The only time I would really advocate NOT raising with Aces UTG is if you have some tremendous read on someone and knwo they're going to bet at the pot then you can raise them and trim the field and probobly make more money.
agreed it obviously depends on the demeanor of you table. If ive been playing for a couple hours in a tournament and have an understandign of how they play and that buddy on the buttpn like to raise his button just about every round then i will trap him. All depends on what you think you opponents will do
Guest Anonymous
wasn't there just an entire thread where the majority believed that if you limp re-raise, you might as well scream out "I have Aces!"?
well in that case if thatt is everyones mentality dont you think a limp reraise UTG with any 2 cards is a good place to steal a pot?

If I know that each hand is raised 60% of the time or more at an aggressive/loose table, I'll limp UTG with A's at times. It's a risk tho', you just have to swallow your pride when 7 people limp in and the flop is J109 all diamonds and toss your black rockets into the much when someone bets. =PIt's partially to trap raisers, and it fits well into my desired table image when I reraise and show my limped aces. I can see more flops with my crappy 10 8 suited for cheap if people know I'll limp with monsters. :club:

wasn't there just an entire thread where the majority believed that if you limp re-raise, you might as well scream out "I have Aces!"?
If someone limp re-raises I don't put them on Aces if I respect there play, Because no one I play with is limping EP with aces, especially in a cash game. if someone limp-reraises me and I respect there play I put them on a mid-pair most of the time, figuring they have me on high cards and want to get more money in w/ the best of it.But... different players different styles.

In a typical low NL holdem game, I limp from UTG with AA because someone is bound to raise it. After he raises it, I push all-in. Usually they call because they dont want to feel like they're getting pushed around.

In a typical low NL holdem game, I limp from UTG with AA because someone is bound to raise it. After he raises it, I push all-in. Usually they call because they dont want to feel like they're getting pushed around.
This a home-game or online? That's pretty rare in any game I play in but... who knows it's viable at the right tables

Can't limp from EP with AA. Too many if's to make this play work.Maybe and maybe only a very aggressive player raising all the pots. But this will be the one time they fold or just call.But I find even if you make your standard 3-5 raise you will get a call or two unless a very tight table. Only time I may limp with AA is short-handed (4 or less) or heads up.

This a home-game or online? That's pretty rare in any game I play in but... who knows it's viable at the right tables
I've only played NL online. You would be suprised how often that works.
What sites and what limits?
What sites and what limits?
PokerRoom and any of the 3 lowest NL tables. Usually I use this move at the .25 NL, but I hav used it at the .50 and 1 NL tables as well. It's a version of what has become to be known as the Smasharoo method on this board.