is barry greenstein jewish?

barry is jewish' date=' and it doesnt matter if he's an atheist or not. i am an atheist jew' date=' and its perfectly fine. the only thing Jews are expected to believe is that there is not MORE than one god. you can believe in god, no gods, negative 6 gods, but not more than one.it doesnt matter, if your mom is jewish, then you are jewish. beliefs don't affect judaism. you win the bet.[/quote'']augmented....are you an atheist jew because your temple threw you out? I have never seen anyone so arrogantly post something that is just flat out WRONG.....jews can believe in negative 6 gods but not more than one? UGH. I am sure this was a poor poor attempt at humor....but it is also false. A person who truly believes in the Jewish faith believes that their is ONE god and that he is sending a messiah....but that messiah has not yet arrived (although some factions of Judiaism believe that Christ was that messiah and the rest of the jews just missed the boat)You can be born jewish and then decide to be athiest and believe in no god (or negative 6) but then you are not really Jewish anymore....you are someone who was born Jewish but decided that the core tenants of Jusiaism are not for them. And thats fine (it is the path I have chosen for now as always I keep my mind open). But if you believe in negative 6 gods or no god you arent really jewish.
where the **** do you get that idea? i've been going to hebrew school all my life, i had my bar mitzvah, and just got confirmed. i've been a Jew the whole time. i would not make this up. THE ONLY THING JEWS ARE EXPECTED TO BELIEVE IS THAT THERE IS NOT MORE THAN ONE GOD.fine, if you didn't like my negative six god comment, i'll make it simpler. Jews can believe: A) in one god B) in zero gods. either way, you are still a Jew. I choose B. It doesn't ****ing matter, i'm still a Jew. Greenstein chooses B. It doesn't ****ing matter, he's still a Jew. Why would i make this up? that is the ONE thing Jews are expected to believe.
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 33 Lamebrain. Play on the boat and tourneys at Hard Rock. Two regular house games once a month, sometimes. Straight $2 when I need a poker fix. Mostly $5 $10 or $2 $5 NL and $10 $20 when available on the boat. I felt then need to share my playing habits, why I don't know. Something provoked me. Can't remember. Boca air and all
Hey Ron - ever play in the $200 freeze out Saturdays at the Hard Rock? If so, I probably have seen you. Came in 28th out of 146 last week.
barry is jewish' date=' and it doesnt matter if he's an atheist or not. i am an atheist jew' date=' and its perfectly fine. the only thing Jews are expected to believe is that there is not MORE than one god. you can believe in god, no gods, negative 6 gods, but not more than one.it doesnt matter, if your mom is jewish, then you are jewish. beliefs don't affect judaism. you win the bet.[/quote'']augmented....are you an atheist jew because your temple threw you out? I have never seen anyone so arrogantly post something that is just flat out WRONG.....jews can believe in negative 6 gods but not more than one? UGH. I am sure this was a poor poor attempt at humor....but it is also false. A person who truly believes in the Jewish faith believes that their is ONE god and that he is sending a messiah....but that messiah has not yet arrived (although some factions of Judiaism believe that Christ was that messiah and the rest of the jews just missed the boat)You can be born jewish and then decide to be athiest and believe in no god (or negative 6) but then you are not really Jewish anymore....you are someone who was born Jewish but decided that the core tenants of Jusiaism are not for them. And thats fine (it is the path I have chosen for now as always I keep my mind open). But if you believe in negative 6 gods or no god you arent really jewish.
where the censored do you get that idea? i've been going to hebrew school all my life, i had my bar mitzvah, and just got confirmed. i've been a Jew the whole time. i would not make this up. THE ONLY THING JEWS ARE EXPECTED TO BELIEVE IS THAT THERE IS NOT MORE THAN ONE GOD.fine, if you didn't like my negative six god comment, i'll make it simpler. Jews can believe: A) in one god B) in zero gods. either way, you are still a Jew. I choose B. It doesn't censored matter, i'm still a Jew. Greenstein chooses B. It doesn't censored matter, he's still a Jew. Why would i make this up? that is the ONE thing Jews are expected to believe.
I dont think you are making anything up. I think you are just wrong.But its religion and arguing about it will get us nowhere. So whatever.I also got bar-mitzvahed and everything. I dont remember ever hearing the sermon about hey go ahead and believe there is no god....one god or no gods your choice!
I'm 33 Lamebrain. Play on the boat and tourneys at Hard Rock. Two regular house games once a month, sometimes. Straight $2 when I need a poker fix. Mostly $5 $10 or $2 $5 NL and $10 $20 when available on the boat. I felt then need to share my playing habits, why I don't know. Something provoked me. Can't remember. Boca air and all
lamebrain! :roll: I bow down before your wit! Actually, I expect better from a guy with the name Ron Mexico....such gold. How is the Hard Rock? I havent played there yet.And i was just poking fun....you know the average age of a boca resident is well over 50. (like it is that much lower in west palm.....city place is pretty cool though)

CaneBrain, I decided to do some research on the topic, and i came across this site: http://whatjewsbelieve.org/. i found this fact: if someone is born Jewish, the only way they become NOT Jewish is by converting to another religion. consider this analogy: A U.S. citizen is still a U.S. citizen even if they don't excercise their right to vote. It is the same way. A Jew is a Jew even if he or she doesn't practice the worshipping. so until Barry Greenstein converts to Christianity or Islam or whatever else, he is still a Jew, whether he believes in god or not. at this website, http://whatjewsbelieve.org/, look at number 9, and it will clarify things for you, as you surely need some information to base your arguments on.

CaneBrain, I decided to do some research on the topic, and i came across this site: http://whatjewsbelieve.org/. i found this fact: if someone is born Jewish, the only way they become NOT Jewish is by converting to another religion. consider this analogy: A U.S. citizen is still a U.S. citizen even if they don't excercise their right to vote. It is the same way. A Jew is a Jew even if he or she doesn't practice the worshipping. so until Barry Greenstein converts to Christianity or Islam or whatever else, he is still a Jew, whether he believes in god or not. at this website, http://whatjewsbelieve.org/, look at number 9, and it will clarify things for you, as you surely need some information to base your arguments on.
First of all, your research comes from the internet...I am not all that impressed.Secondly, I consider believing there is no god (being an athiest) as being akin to converting to another religion. You are converting to atheism. So I feel like you made my argument for me. However, it seems like basically we are splitting hairs. And fellow jews (or former jews whatever) shouldnt fight. So I offer the olive branch of peace.

I know, Lamebrain was weak, I apologize. I expect more from myself as well. The Hard Rock is certainly entertaining and the only real games are the tourneys. Everything else is for pure entertainment, not real poker, which is nice as well.Boca, I have played in only one of the Saturday $200 tourneys. I wish I would make a better effort to get there and play more. I probably will after I finish my two Harrington on Hold'em books. As you know in Florida, it is tough to get a real game. I don't like online play so I only play "real" poker once every two weeks, playing on the boat. My game is coming along nicely. I just really enjoy the game. I have no dreams of being pro. I just wanna play good enough so it pays for itself, and some trips to Vegas that is. Later. Let me know next time you play a $200 on Saturday. I'll go.

What the Unabomber Ted Kisinski did wasn't funny. If I lost a loved one at the hands of the Unabomber I would be repulsed by the idea that people may be cheering "Go Unabomber."
If somebody I loved were killed by a package bomb, I think I'd have a number of serious issues. But I hope I'd retain enough of a sense of perspective not to demand the rest of the world give up gallows humor on my account.
Imagine for a second a mother watching that on TV?
If the hooded sweatshirt alone doesn't send her into hysterics, I think she's probably tough enough to handle the nickname.-- M. Ruff
That list is defintely not accurate.  As for Barry, he is a devoted atheist as is Chris Ferguson.  Although Chris is an atheist he signs autographs by adding in quotes "Jesus."    I let him know one night that some people may find that offensive and he said he didn't promote the nickname.  He then said that he wouldn't sign autographs like that anymore, but of course that was a lie.  I've signed tons of hats and t-shirts since and have seen Chris "Jesus" Feguson on many of those hats.  I can't say that I was surprised to see that's he'd lied, but it was a little disappointing.  Why say you are going to stop when you had no intention to?  Did he think I wouldn't find out?  His word holds little weight with me.    The fact that he is a atheist just makes it even uglier.  He tried to justify the nickname by saying that many Mexican families name their children Jesus.  However, with Chris, his use of the nickname simply mocks the majority of this country who believe that Jesus was our saviour and died a brutal death for our sins.    
I don't normally spend my time reading sites like this one, but a friend of mine linked this post to point out what a pompous ass you are.Maybe Chris "[/size]JESUS" Ferguson was bluffing you, or perhaps he was just being polite instead of telling you to STFU and mind your own business. If you want to believe in invisible creatures who live in the sky with omnipotent powers, that's your problem, not his. Spiney "The Pope" NormanThe Archbishop of Online Pokerpope-net.jpg
totally wrong. totally wrong. Judaism is NOT a religion. It's a race.  
I really dont know how to use the quote thing, but the above is what someone said...and Judaism can be described as a race and religion and ethnic culture and all of the above. It is most certainly a religion as there are practiced religious beliefs as in any other religion...I am Jewish and I find it demeaning to the CHRISTIANS to say that Judaism isnt a religion...if Judaism isnt a religion, then what does that make Christianity which is based in principle off of Judaism and their savior (Jesus) who was also Jewish? Thats absurd...
   I'm not as offended by that nickname however as I am of Phil Laak's use of the "Unabomber."  What next?  We have people parading around with nicknames like "Hitler" and "Bin Laden?"  
That's a little harsh. Do people get all pissed off at you for impersonating bobbleheads?
My father thinks he is from the name, I bet him 120 dollars that he wasn't, is Barry Greenstein Jewish?Yes or No?
ok im going to get some flames for this one Barry can't be jewish. he gives his money away.
Okay, if that is the case then explain why Jews hold the biggest fundraisers, donate the most to Universities and Hospitals, and support a small country named Israel which went from pure sand to one of the most powerful and technologically advanced nations on the planet? If you think I'm wrong then go ask any physician which hospital in any major city they recommend the most........Mt. Sinai. Jews give more money to charitable causes than any other people on earth. The whole culture is based on "Tzedakah" which means "charity". The stereotype about Jews being cheap is a misconception, since it's not that they are cheap, it's that they know somebody that can get whatever you are selling at a wholesale cost."Hey mister, you want to buy a diamond? Only $12,000".The truth is that mister can get the exact same rock from his brother-in'law's cousin for $3000. Everybody knows somebody. When you've been around for 6000 years, you tend to not only know the game, you rule it.
  • 1 year later...
ok im going to get some flames for this one Barry can't be jewish. he gives his money away.Okay, if that is the case then explain why Jews hold the biggest fundraisers, donate the most to Universities and Hospitals, and support a small country named Israel which went from pure sand to one of the most powerful and technologically advanced nations on the planet? If you think I'm wrong then go ask any physician which hospital in any major city they recommend the most........Mt. Sinai. Jews give more money to charitable causes than any other people on earth. The whole culture is based on "Tzedakah" which means "charity". snip When you've been around for 6000 years, you tend to not only know the game, you rule it.
The joke was ignorant, I agree. Toronto has plenty of museums, theatres and a Mt. Sinai hospital great for some specialties (but not all) built by the generous Jewish community. They also have a legitimate beef with the government since the Catholics get subsidies for education, contrary to UN principles.Israel was not pure sand, Palestinians were there before, remember?The US largess towards Israel is on the backs of all US citizens, which requires that Christians have a soft spot for Jews (oversimplification).Not a Jew but want a quick lesson on how to prosper like one?Lend money on collateral, don't get too excited about equity proposals unless you know what you are doing (have control).Let the beauty of compounded interest with low volatility make you rich.P.S. too bad that they don't have a 1.3B population, what with all their knowledge and competence, eh?The only funny part of this thread is that anyone could miss Mike the Mouth being a Jew... hilarious!
The joke was ignorant, I agree. Toronto has plenty of museums, theatres and a Mt. Sinai hospital great for some specialties (but not all) built by the generous Jewish community. They also have a legitimate beef with the government since the Catholics get subsidies for education, contrary to UN principles.Israel was not pure sand, Palestinians were there before, remember?The US largess towards Israel is on the backs of all US citizens, which requires that Christians have a soft spot for Jews (oversimplification).Not a Jew but want a quick lesson on how to prosper like one?Lend money on collateral, don't get too excited about equity proposals unless you know what you are doing (have control).Let the beauty of compounded interest with low volatility make you rich.P.S. too bad that they don't have a 1.3B population, what with all their knowledge and competence, eh?The only funny part of this thread is that anyone could miss Mike the Mouth being a Jew... hilarious!
why the hell would you bump this two year old thread?