challenge match #5 daniel vs. barry *part 2*

My guess is that regular stud players aren't too surprised by the quick swing. In heads up 7stud hi at $4,000-8,000, a $250,000 swing would be possible with just 2 monster pots or 4 medium-large pots... or some combination of 2 or 3 pots and a bad run of raise/folds on 3rd favoring one player. The cards fall how they do, and I'd imagine (totally speculating) that they sometimes go a while without a showdown, and then sometimes they go to the showdown 3 or 4 out of 10. From what I've read, the MO for this match on 3rd street has been 3-betting or capping on 3rd for every hand played, and I'd expect a lot of raising on all the streets. Anyways, a $250k downswing sucks for DN, but it's not that outrageous in 7 stud hi.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems an evenly matched duo. Will it come down to who gets the lucky cards? I know DN thought he had the upper hand but that he would like some lucky runs as well.Hmmmm A better challenge for DN compared to the huge tournaments this year. I've heard many pro's complaining about the size of the WSOP...of course still a large % of pro's to the final tables...skill wins out in the endAnyway good luck :wink:

Seems an evenly matched duo. Will it come down to who gets the lucky cards? I know DN thought he had the upper hand but that he would like some lucky runs as well.Hmmmm A better challenge for DN compared to the huge tournaments this year. I've heard many pro's complaining about the size of the WSOP...of course still a large % of pro's to the final tables...skill wins out in the endAnyway good luck :wink:
not sure how evenly matched it really is .. Barry has played in the biggest stud game in the world for some time .. DN is a relative neophyte to stud .. It appears BG is on his way to dominating DN to the tune of $1,000,000 at stud .. perhaps DN needs to take the next game more in his comfort zone, to stop the bleeding ..
why is it that every time daniel loses a big pot it seems to be because barry caught two pair on the river or because daniel has made 0/48 flush draws?
Barry even said he caught cards like crazy. So, um, stfu.

Daniel is going broke. You can't tell me that re buying for 34K and lossing 500K in heads up matches doesn't hurt bad.He even said so himself in the latest cardplayer interview (he might go broke that is). He needs to pull his head out of his butt.I seriously think that playing online would help him out alot. To get back in the grove. He just can't take the low buy in stuff serious though I guess.I know that what I am saying is pretty harsh, but I know there are alot of you that are thinking the same. You just won't say it. Barry Greenstein is gonna mop the floor with Daniel in these matches. Personally, I think that the way that he plays is passing ( the hyper agressive style).

why is it that every time daniel loses a big pot it seems to be because barry caught two pair on the river or because daniel has made 0/48 flush draws?
Probably 'cause those are the two most common ways to lose a pot in 7 stud hi. I don't know how different it is in HU play, but a large percentage of losses in ring games are those two situations. High pairs, lower pairs with high kicker over the opponent's door card, and three flushes are the three most common hands to play with on 3rd (probably accounting for 90% of the hands played in a ring game)... so this isn't a surprising trend in a HU match either.I do believe that DN may have the edge he thinks he does in this game, but, for the most part, he only gets to exploit that edge if the short term running in the cards is close enough to even. I admired BG for admitting that he won the first match on a sick run of cards. Any short term card rush can end the whole match pretty quick for either player.This isn't to say that luck alone will determine the winner--but it will be a big component.
Daniel is going broke. You can't tell me that re buying for 34K and lossing 500K in heads up matches doesn't hurt bad.He even said so himself in the latest cardplayer interview (he might go broke that is). He needs to pull his head out of his butt.I seriously think that playing online would help him out alot. To get back in the grove. He just can't take the low buy in stuff serious though I guess.I know that what I am saying is pretty harsh, but I know there are alot of you that are thinking the same. You just won't say it. Barry Greenstein is gonna mop the floor with Daniel in these matches. Personally, I think that the way that he plays is passing ( the hyper agressive style).
DN is not going to go broke. even if he was to lose every match he would still make money on other things he has going. he will always make money.
Probably 'cause those are the two most common ways to lose a pot in 7 stud hi. I don't know how different it is in HU play, but a large percentage of losses in ring games are those two situations. High pairs, lower pairs with high kicker over the opponent's door card, and three flushes are the three most common hands to play with on 3rd (probably accounting for 90% of the hands played in a ring game)... so this isn't a surprising trend in a HU match either.I do believe that DN may have the edge he thinks he does in this game, but, for the most part, he only gets to exploit that edge if the short term running in the cards is close enough to even. I admired BG for admitting that he won the first match on a sick run of cards. Any short term card rush can end the whole match pretty quick for either player.This isn't to say that luck alone will determine the winner--but it will be a big component.
i understand that, i was just responding to the obvious bias in commentarywhenever barry goes on a big run it seems to be because he is catching river cards or daniel hasn't made a draw in four years, but when daniel goes on a run it's because he is playing so amazingly
i understand that, i was just responding to the obvious bias in commentarywhenever barry goes on a big run it seems to be because he is catching river cards or daniel hasn't made a draw in four years, but when daniel goes on a run it's because he is playing so amazingly
Give Travis a break. Of course this will come off as bias. It's from Daniel's perspective. This isn't a cardplayer blog.
DN is not going to go broke. even if he was to lose every match he would still make money on other things he has going. he will always make money.
10:32- Daniel is down 214,000 to Barry. DN now has 286,000 He's probally spent all the money he made from stacked just REBUYING and the series this year.Daniel is by far my favorite poker "person" but he treats money like it is dirt. 'nuff said
Oh, fair enough. Didn't mean to lecture--I just know that a lot of FCP'ers don't play 7 stud and, $3/$6 relative novice that I am, 7 stud is my favorite game and I like the opportunity to discuss it, for any excuse :club:.It's Daniel's site... what else would you expect? I'm not there, so I don't know if Barry really is drawing out on the river more often than Daniel, or if Daniel is missing his draws more often than Barry. I don't have any reason to doubt the reports. Barry himself said that the cards won it for him in the first match.Daniel has insisted that he thinks he has the edge heads up, and I'd be extremely curious to hear where he thinks that edge is when these matches are all finished.
because dn overplays pairs and draws? O_o
Oh, fair enough. Didn't mean to lecture--I just know that a lot of FCP'ers don't play 7 stud and, $3/$6 relative novice that I am, 7 stud is my favorite game and I like the opportunity to discuss it, for any excuse :club:.It's Daniel's site... what else would you expect? I'm not there, so I don't know if Barry really is drawing out on the river more often than Daniel, or if Daniel is missing his draws more often than Barry. I don't have any reason to doubt the reports. Barry himself said that the cards won it for him in the first match.Daniel has insisted that he thinks he has the edge heads up, and I'd be extremely curious to hear where he thinks that edge is when these matches are all finished.
I agree. I mean come on. Your stuck Daniel. Get out man. Save face and focus on something elese.
I agree. I mean come on. Your stuck Daniel. Get out man. Save face and focus on something elese.
Well, I don't agree with that. He made the commitment, and I'm with the community rooting him on to play it out, win or lose--and rooting for him to win. There's not really any way either player would win by any margin larger than 6-3 for the series without luck playing a pretty big factor. The very fact that you would point to how much Daniel is down in the match at this moment as "evidence" that he's a dog in the whole series of matches just indicates that you're ignoring the fact of short-term variance, especially in a game like 7 stud hi.
10:32- Daniel is down 214,000 to Barry. DN now has 286,000 He's probally spent all the money he made from stacked just REBUYING and the series this year.Daniel is by far my favorite poker "person" but he treats money like it is dirt. 'nuff said
most pro poker players/gamblers treat money like dirt, its just the way it is. rebuy money is peanuts to him
most pro poker players/gamblers treat money like dirt, its just the way it is. rebuy money is peanuts to him
I know it is... I can still think its sick though.
Give Travis a break. Of course this will come off as bias. It's from Daniel's perspective. This isn't a cardplayer blog.
First off, Gradin is right. I post exactly what comes in the text message.Secondly, Daniel has said at certain points he got lucky. He said he was getting lucky in the Mimi match.Lastly, it's kinda hard to point out your luck when you....haven't had any.If DN starts catching every card in the deck and sucking out every single hand, he'd be the first to admit it.-Travis
At least his winnings go to a good cause... DN is just trying to feed a PR machine to make endorsements on the backend.
this is a cash game, his winnings will go into his pocket
You can see what he si saying though. Theses are well followed cash games that everyone is talking about.Believe me, I want Daniel to win. I just don't think he will.
I know it is... I can still think its sick though.
As long as we get to think you're a whining idiot, it's all good.