It is amazing that nobody on this site has ever lost any money. Go figure. You should all turn pro.
i dont believe half of these people. its kind of like all these companys that say they made a profit but when u look at the books it doesnt add up. untill someone opens their book(if they even keep redords) i take what they say with a big grain of salt.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, as a guy who just started playing and is down 150.00 this forum is intimidating... But, I would love to hear some advice from you guys. It's discouraging for me because i love the game but am absolutely un able to build any bankroll... Where should a guy like me start? I try to study as much as possible...where should i play? low stakes limit or low stakes no limit?anyways, any advice would be great.

wow, as a guy who just started playing and is down 150.00 this forum is intimidating... But, I would love to hear some advice from you guys. It's discouraging for me because i love the game but am absolutely un able to build any bankroll... Where should a guy like me start? I try to study as much as possible...where should i play? low stakes limit or low stakes no limit?anyways, any advice would be great.
I've always thought learning to beat a limit game is a LOT more difficult than a NL game. You could make more money playing NL, but you'll be a better player if you can learn to beat a limit game.Ice

Online Ring: up $7526 (about 25 hours a week mostly playing 10/20HE)Online Tourney: up $34,516 (got lucky with a couple big cashes in MTTs)Live: down $195 (only played once for 6 hours at 6/12HE)

this is for the limit path, which is the one taken by most players here:most here would have you start studying up on small stakes hold 'em by sklansky. i would add winning low limit hold 'em by lee jones, which says much of the same stuff but is organized better and easier to understand for a novice, IMHO. also read the theory of poker by sklansky to get a good understanding of basic concepts you can work into your game at your own pace.once you have those memorized, you should be regularly crushing games up to 2/4 or 3/6 online. then read hold 'em poker for advanced players by sklansky, and that with a lot of higher level experience will make you a winning player at higher levels.and above all else, GET POKERTRACKER (there's a forum about it in the strategy section). good luck!
untill someone opens their book(if they even keep redords) i take what they say with a big grain of salt.
4/11/2005 $502.754/17/2005 $709.924/24/2005 $955.925/1/2005 $1,170.545/8/2005 $1,275.855/15/2005 $1,680.545/22/2005 $1,894.605/29/2005 $1,883.976/5/2005 $2,073.246/12/2005 $2,164.50LOL, you're right. (I said I was up 1800, s/b 1661.75 I guess) I forgot about Wednesday & Thursday of last week (been out of town since then).GRRRR.
untill someone opens their book(if they even keep redords) i take what they say with a big grain of salt.
4/11/2005 $502.754/17/2005 $709.924/24/2005 $955.925/1/2005 $1,170.545/8/2005 $1,275.855/15/2005 $1,680.545/22/2005 $1,894.605/29/2005 $1,883.976/5/2005 $2,073.246/12/2005 $2,164.50LOL, you're right. (I said I was up 1800, s/b 1661.75 I guess) I forgot about Wednesday & Thursday of last week (been out of town since then).GRRRR.
so u never lose? what limits do u play? i dont believe u? its easy to type in numbers.4/11/2005 $502.754/17/2005 $709.924/24/2005 $955.925/1/2005 $1,170.54see what i mean? how hard is it to type in numbers? not very hard. if u play online show pokertracker results. u dont have to prove anything to me. i dont give a shit if your a losing or winning player. the point is i dont believe most of u. and typing in some numbers doesnt change that.even if those numbers were true. how much have u lost? thats right u forgot to mention the money u have lost.

I'm up $1,500 for my summer so far. I don't have my records by me now (out of town) but I think I've put in a little over 45 hours thus far. Some of which has been wasted on MTT (except for my second).- Jordan

so u never lose? what limits do u play? i dont believe u? its easy to type in numbers.4/11/2005 $502.754/17/2005 $709.924/24/2005 $955.925/1/2005 $1,170.54see what i mean? how hard is it to type in numbers? not very hard. if u play online show pokertracker results. u dont have to prove anything to me. i dont give a censored if your a losing or winning player. the point is i dont believe most of u. and typing in some numbers doesnt change that.even if those numbers were true. how much have u lost? thats right u forgot to mention the money u have lost.
While I was living down in Guatemala for 3 months, I hit a bad run and dropped my $200 buy in at UB, which I had taken to $700 right before I left. That was a bummer. Make you happy?- Jordan
so u never lose? what limits do u play? i dont believe u? its easy to type in numbers.4/11/2005 $502.754/17/2005 $709.924/24/2005 $955.925/1/2005 $1,170.54see what i mean? how hard is it to type in numbers? not very hard. if u play online show pokertracker results. u dont have to prove anything to me. i dont give a censored if your a losing or winning player. the point is i dont believe most of u. and typing in some numbers doesnt change that.even if those numbers were true. how much have u lost? thats right u forgot to mention the money u have lost.
While I was living down in Guatemala for 3 months, I hit a bad run and dropped my $200 buy in at UB, which I had taken to $700 right before I left. That was a bummer. Make you happy?- Jordan
im talking about the guy who just typed in some numbers and thinks that shows hes a winning player. the whole point of what i am getting at is anyone can say they are a winning player but untill i see some evidence to support their claims i dont believe most of them. everyones a winning player if u go by what they type.

Well you can't prove cash game winnings unless you sit there and screen shot after every session. Even that you could fake. So unless it's recorded tournamentwinnings, you just have to trust people aren't lying. So STFU!

this month I'm up @ $200 :club: good for me, cuz I'm poor and can only afford to play the .05/.10 tables. I've been owning the $5 sngs i tell ya, f'n owning 'em.Since 5/12/05: $20 to $275

i don't think most winning players on here really care if you believe us. the OP asked a question, and i answered, same for the rest of these posters i'd guess.
once you have those memorized, you should be regularly crushing games up to 2/4 or 3/6 online. then read hold 'em poker for advanced players by sklansky, and that with a lot of higher level experience will make you a winning player at higher levels.
Depending on your bankroll, however, I would recommend starting with .5/1 and maybe 1/2. If you've got a large enough bankroll for higher limits, go for it.
once you have those memorized, you should be regularly crushing games up to 2/4 or 3/6 online. then read hold 'em poker for advanced players by sklansky, and that with a lot of higher level experience will make you a winning player at higher levels.
Depending on your bankroll, however, I would recommend starting with .5/1 and maybe 1/2. If you've got a large enough bankroll for higher limits, go for it.
right. i didn't mean to have that sound like you should start at 2/4. start at .5/1 at the very highest to make sure you can beat the fish. the games are similar up through 2/4 or 3/6.
Well you can't prove cash game winnings unless you sit there and screen shot after every session. Even that you could fake. So unless it's recorded tournamentwinnings, you just have to trust people aren't lying. So STFU!
i dont trust people on the internet. if u want to trust them fine. i like how u put STFU at the end. its easy to be a punk on the internet. u wouldnt have the balls to say that to me if u werent hiding behind a computer.
i dont trust people on the internet. if u want to trust them fine. i like how u put STFU at the end. its easy to be a punk on the internet. u wouldnt have the balls to say that to me if u werent hiding behind a computer.
I don't trust people on the internet either, I trust my records. I'm not about to take the time to type out all of my records just to prove to some person on the internet why I'm able to eat each month, pay my rent, and buy other useless crap. You're being a little bitch in this thread and I would say that to your face whether you "trust someone on the internet" or not. So just learn to live with it that there are winning players other than yourself out there(you might not even be a winning player which would explain why you're demanding everyones books).
i don't think most winning players on here really care if you believe us. the OP asked a question, and i answered, same for the rest of these posters i'd guess.
i agree. i dont care either. my point is most people on here are not winning players and just because u say your a winning player doesnt mean u are. im telling the op that their arent is many winning players on here as it seems. i just said show some proof to get my point across that it is easy to lie. like i said i dont give a ****. just dont think that all these players that say their winners are. simple as that.
i agree. i dont care either. my point is most people on here are not winning players and just because u say your a winning player doesnt mean u are. im telling the op that their arent is many winning players on here as it seems. i just said show some proof to get my point across that it is easy to lie. like i said i dont give a censored. just dont think that all these players that say their winners are. simple as that.
it's a good point, a lot of people haven't been playing for that long and they *might* be "winning" players for now. The question is how long will people be winning players? No one knows.
I don't trust people on the internet either, I trust my records. I'm not about to take the time to type out all of my records just to prove to some person on the internet why I'm able to eat each month, pay my rent, and buy other useless crap. You're being a little bitch in this thread and I would say that to your face whether you "trust someone on the internet" or not. So just learn to live with it that there are winning players other than yourself out there(you might not even be a winning player which would explain why you're demanding everyones books).
i dont want to see peoples records nor am i asking for them. I dont care. my point was that their isnt as many winning players as people think on here. when i asked for records i was trying to point out that without actually analizing someones game its impossible to really know if they win or lose. not everyone who says they are winning players are. that guy who typed his results could have made it up or it could be truth. or could have left stuff out. i dont remeber the last time i won 10 sessions in a row. in poker its a common ocurrance that someone says they are break even or better.

To the original poster...Dont worry too much about how much other people make. Focus on your own results. Acceptable standards for BB/hr or BB/100 hands are fairly well known and you should be using that to guage your results.The reason you should not compare yourself to other people is that most people will lie in one way or another when it comes to their results. Some lies are big and some are small, but usually the results they give you are not accurate. And I'm not trying to rag on poker players here. People do this all the time. Ask them how much money they make at their job, or how much the made in the stock or real estate market. I promise that you will not get the absolute truth.The only way you can get any type of reasonable range is to see their tax records (assuming they paid taxes at all).As an example, back in the tech stock boom of the late 90's, a magazine was doing an article about how much people were making in the market and askd their readers to submit letters about how much they made. Well they got thousands of letters with huge numbers for their profits. Well they before using any of the results in the article they asked the people for their tax records as proof (mostly just as a small formality). Well out of the thousands of letter they recieved only a couple hundred would actually give the records. It was such a sharp drop off the magazine did an article on that fact alone. The most common excuse was that they didnt pay taxes (which is actually kind of weird considering it would be hard to hide the amounts they were saying and that the IRS can find out fairly easily from the broker about the stock records). While the magazine didnt come right out and say it, the opinion was that the vast majority of people were full of shit.

i dont want to see peoples records nor am i asking for them. I dont care. my point was that their isnt as many winning players as people think on here. when i asked for records i was trying to point out that without actually analizing someones game its impossible to really know if they win or lose. not everyone who says they are winning players are. that guy who typed his results could have made it up or it could be truth. or could have left stuff out. i dont remeber the last time i won 10 sessions in a row. in poker its a common ocurrance that someone says they are break even or better.
sure, but the point is that the OP asked a question and people answered him.and, lest you start yelling again, my last ten 10/20 sessions:284(296)329533(76.50)(393)5996(377)1006poker is beatable. that's a valid and true statement, and many of the members of this site are living proof. i couldn't eat or pay my bills if it weren't for poker. my paycheck for teaching as a grad student only pays rent +30 bucks a month. i think the thrust of the OP's question was whether or not one can really make a living at poker without being an amazing tv poker star like DN or hellmuth (sic), and the answer many of us are trying to give is "yes, yes it is possible, but it is very difficult." i lost consistently for the first 18 months or so of playing online, and i didn't become a winning player until about two years ago. it is very tough, and it took a couple of years of very intense study and table time for me to become a winning player. it's probably the same sort of thing for others, too.

My initial thought when reading this post was, "Oh no! I can't reveal how pathetic my results are to all these esteemed players." Further thought leads me to believe that my numbers might reflect a certain percentage of those reading and I might not be alone. I keep very accurate records, to the point I'm probably overly anal about it.From March 13-June 13-- Online profit of $583.92 798 hrsFrom March 13-June 13-- Live game profit of $261 23 hrsTherefore, I'm a winning player and have shown a profit, though very small for the time spent. Considering I was playing 50c/$1 limit on March 13, and was well within my bankroll, my BB/100 hand profit has been truly abysmal. Things were fine until the 12th of May, when I showed a profit of $1543 since March 13th. Since March 13th, I have been in a horrendous downturn, from which I have yet to recover. I have stepped down from the 2/4 limit and now am playing 1/2, and analyzing my game for leaks that have attributed beyond the bad run of cards.I might have company in this category.

I feel he would. And from my perspective you are one cowering behind the computer. I cannot imagine this argument taking place in real life. It would just be silly and juvenile -- as it is here. If you did this in a NY poker room live - I would get you warned and eventually removed for your rudeness. We don't tolerate asses live, and yet we tolerate them online. Bizarre!In any case, I know Suited Up (from online) and he's met Daniel and a host of others - he won the $25K Bellagio entry on PokerMountain and has a huge blog somewhere which I've seen. You are a nobody to me and many here. Maybe you're some hotshot somewhere but I say you have zero currency, so your claims of incredulousness are also worthless. Note that there are thousands of registered users too, and we have a pretty good read on the posters who come and brag about their falsified winnings. It's happened time and time again in the past. Genuine players, just post factually without judgement or claims of greatness. . If you can't realize that... that's fine. And finally, it should make no difference to any of the original posters what you think of their profits. If it does... well I'm sorry that you have that effect on them.