single table tourneys

limit holdem single table. as fast as the blinds go up, do you agree that it comes down to pure luck? how many times have to got down to about the final 5 and then blinds kill you? hope you undertand what i am asking?

limit holdem single table.  as fast as the blinds go up,  do you agree that it comes down to pure luck?  how many times have to got down to about the final 5 and  then blinds kill you?  hope you undertand what i am asking?
It depends on where you play. At Party Poker this is VERY true, espeically at the smaller buy-in tourneys where you only have 800 chips (instead of 1000 in the higher buy-in STT's).My stategy has been to take small chances early when it costs less and hope to build up a big enough stack that I can still compete when the blinds move up. For instance, and I'm probably not the only one, I'll complete my SB on the first two levels with any two cards if it hasn't been raised. I'll play pretty much any pair for 1x or 2x the BB, same with any suited Ace. It's not profitable in the long run but because the blinds go up so quickly I try to take some calculated risks when it doesn't cost me a tonne.Also, when the stakes get to the middle range (25/50 - 75/150) you should be stealing the blinds more than your fair share of the time, in fact stealing them a few times can make a huge difference to you around this time as it's getting down to the bubble and people tend to play a bit tighter despite the fact the blinds are material enough to be worth picking up uncontested now.Edit: Bah, originally I thought you were asking about NL. Had to make some changes so my advice applies to limit. The comment about stealing the blinds isn't quite as doable in limit as in no-limit but you should still be making moves for the blinds.

This is the main reason that I don't play limit STTs. It is much harder to steal blinds in limit than NL. In NL, you can build your stack without showing down a single hand. In limit it is much harder, and becomes a card catching contest, especially at lower limits.

My mother plays these on pacific poker and basically if you lose one hand your out. The blinds are at 100 / 200 and the average stack is only around 2000, everyone starts at 800 there so thats when there are 4 players left all equally stacked.This means that if you call Preflop (200) Flop (200) Turn (400) and River (400) then you are basically using 1200 of your 2000 chips. In my opinion this is very luck based and anyone can go out with just one raise throughout the hand.This is the reason that I am not fond of limit STTs..

This discussion reminded me of a good article on the topic by Al Spath posted over on Poker Pages. I'd definately recommend giving it a read. His suggestions might not be the best way of doing things and they certainly aren't the only way but in the few limit STT's I've played his style has worked for me.http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archive...ves/spath20.htm