Can the wrong play be correct in some situations?

I was playing a $20 NLHE SNG today when an interesting hand came up. Don't remember all of the specefics but I was one off the button 5 :D 6 :) , 1 ahead of me and one on the button as we went to the flop for about 3X the BB. The original raiser was now first to act and he checked a flop of 9 :) A :club: 7 :). It checked around and the turn was the 8 :D giving me my gutshot straight. He checks again, I bet about 3/4 the pot, the button folds, first to act then re-reaises me the minimum, doubling my bet. At this point I'm pretty sure he has AA and was trying to be all fancy with it. I put him all in, knowing I was ahead, but my question is : Should I have just called to see if the river pairs the board, as I know my opponent is not going to fold his hand no matter the river card is because he has 3 of a kind and that it is obviously the best poker hand you could ever possibly have. Again, I know you should get your money in the pot when you are ahead, and I did, but just wondering if just calling would have been a better option, knowing his chips were going into the pot regardless.

I see your point and calling instead of all in would be a better play if in deed he has AA. if he does not have AA and you just call and the River is a rag and you now go all in he saw 5th street cheap and you don't get as good a value as the all in pre 5th st. I work those situations like this, if the hands are running well for me I go all in pre 5th st, if not go the conservsative route with a call.

min raises almost always mean monsters until way late in tourniesYou are ahead of any hand here besides 6T and JT ... personally I re-min raise and call an all in... If he shows down JT or pairs the board then tough luck, you got your money in correctly

You don't tell us how big the pot is, and how many chips you would have left if you just called instead of reraising him all-in on the turn. Depending on the pot odds, you have to be very sure he has trips if you really plan to fold to him on the river if the board pairs.

This isn't a bad beat story, like "OMG he had AA and board paired, please feel bad for me." lol He did have AA and missed the river, just wondering if I made the right play pretty much knowing he had the set.

I will say that sometimes the wrong play can be the best option sometimes, the key is not to let this become a habit, and to know when those situations are in the first place. They won't be very frequent, but you should still be able to spot them.I think the best part about knowing you are progressing as a player is when you can objectively review your play and recognize where you made mistakes etc. This is a good sign :D

I think that the wrong play is wrong for a reason. :-) By moving all in you basically were saying: "I got the best hand, wanna try and out-draw me?" And if they try, that's money in the bank...regardless of a particular outcome.If you play the best hand passively, you're losing money.The right play is to get the most value for your good hands--And to lose the least value for your bad hands. You had a good hand, so there was no point in trying to minimize your losses. Does that make since?

it's very important to know when you misplay a hand even if you get the positive result. Sometimes the correct play will lose you money, but it's still the correct play. Now, this guy just terribly misplayed this hand. Why he would check on the flop is beyond me. He raised pre-flop representing strength, he's giving a free card with 2 hearts on the board. Also, the chances of somebody hitting that board are slim considering there is only 1 ace left out there and the 9 7 would be doubtful for somebody to have hit. It really depends who you play on whether your play was correct after the flop. If he's somebody that can't lay down Aces, then it'd be fine pushing all-in, but if he's someone that can lay down trip Aces, then maybe just calling would be a better option. I think either way, it'd be tough for him to lay the hand down, so I think you would have broken him regardless unless another heart came on the river. I would say you calling with 56 suited usually isn't the best of ideas, unless you really know how to play it post-flop. If you don't play it correctly you can very often end up getting the sucker flush/straight that's out there and end up going broke.

I see your point and calling instead of all in would be a better play if in deed he has AA.Obviously not.If he showed you AA you'd go all in, or if not, you should.
The point I was making was that since I saw him check a very dangerous flop even though he had top set, it made me 100% convinced that he was a novice player and wouldn't lay down trips no matter what came down on the river. If this happened against someone who I had no real read on or someone who I knew was an adavanced player, my money would be in the pot without thinking twice, but I was convinced he would put all his money in the middle no matter what came on the river.
I see your point and calling instead of all in would be a better play if in deed he has AA.Obviously not.If he showed you AA you'd go all in, or if not, you should.
The point I was making was that since I saw him check a very dangerous flop even though he had top set, it made me 100% convinced that he was a novice player and wouldn't lay down trips no matter what came down on the river. If this happened against someone who I had no real read on or someone who I knew was an adavanced player, my money would be in the pot without thinking twice, but I was convinced he would put all his money in the middle no matter what came on the river.
Honestly, I think you're being too passive. There is no fear in NL. Everytime you have a flush you can't think "uh-oh...the river may bring someone a full house...I better be cautious." yah know? Bet if you got it.

I understand that wrto, and against 99% of the people I play against I will, I'm just saying that if his money is going in no matter what which I knew it was, maybe it would have been better off for me to see the river. I did go all in when I hit the straight anyways, because that is how I play, but in retrospect, my opponent seemed new to the game and I wondered if it could have been to my advantage to know if would have the best hand or not at the end. It seemed like a situation to me where I had nothing to lose by checking out the river since I was pretty sure my read was accurate. If I thought there was any chance that he wouldn't put all his chips in after the river than I wouldn't have even brought this up.

I understand what you're saying...but are you that confident on your read that you will lay down a straight if the board pairs? Or will you just call his bet? It kinda get's "iffy". Baybe he was checking top-two and the bottom card pairs...if you only call you lose value for your hand. You might as well put all you money in while you are 100% sure you have the best hand.

I guess its just one of those situations where someone shows strength preflop and then completely stops to make you wonder if they are slowplaying and after the min raise I was fairly sure he had the trips, and would either be all in or folding depending on the river.

I guess its just one of those situations where someone shows strength preflop and then completely stops to make you wonder if they are slowplaying and after the min raise I was fairly sure he had the trips, and would either be all in or folding depending on the river.Are you capable of laying down the straight if the river pairs here?I'm not saying you aren't, just curious.

Well it really depends on the bet. Any decent sized bet I would definately fold. I dont think he knew enough to value bet, so if the river did pair I would have been completely ready to let the hand go. If I didnt plan on folding if the river paired then I would have moved in on the turn.

Well it really depends on the bet. Any decent sized bet I would definately fold. I dont think he knew enough to value bet, so if the river did pair I would have been completely ready to let the hand go. If I didnt plan on folding if the river paired then I would have moved in on the turn.That's really the only time this will have value then. If you're almost certain he'll call or make a big river bet with a set and you're certain you can let it go if the board pairs. That's going to be the minority of the time, however.

• 2 years later...
Hypothetically if the only choice you have to make is the wrong one, then its not really the wrong choice, its more like fate.
This is deep.Too deep for this thread I think.