all this talk about "the big game"

Not to mention that it didn't seem like Doyle was "making a living" playing in the game.  He was winning, but probably just a fraction of a big bet an hour.
I could live pretty well making a fraction of a big bet per hour in the big game. But I think I know what you mean.
Andy Beal is the big loser, but I wouldn't consider the games he plays with the Table One Bellagio pros as part of the "big game".
I think this is what akishore is talking about.The Andy Beal game is heads up hold 'em against Andy Beal, played for stakes in the millions.The Big Game is a $4k-$8k mixed game played between poker pros.

Does anyone here have even a clue how many rich people (celebrity or not) like to take their shot in that game (the 4k/8k game -- the real 'big game')? No. No one except those regular pros do. If you stop and contemplate it for a bit, however, I'm sure you will come to the conclusion, as I have, that it is more than enough for them to make a living. If I had the money to blow, I'd take the shot, and I'm currently a poor and extremely cheap person for being so young.In fact, if you read into what a few different pros say (Doyle in SS, Greenstein everyday everwhere all the time, etc), they love it when ANYONE wants to take a shot at their game. That tells me that if you can figure out how to put up the money, you can play. In other words, it's not some exclusive club. They also speak about targetting players, in a way. They will still play each other, but they will pay special attention to the way you play (and why not? They know each other already) and will be sure to get all your money out of you. Well, of course, that shouldn't be any type of surprise to anyone. They are there to make money. I doubt anyone came to that game and won within the first 5-10 sessions, let alone the very first session.So, the rich and naive come to play, get busted as quickly as someone can figure to bust them, and are probably a bit rushed by it and look forward to trying again.