limp re-raise preflop with aces

Hi. I play 5-10 1k buyin No limit holdem cashgames. I'm not sure how to play aces from early position. I don't know how much to reraise someone when I limp and then someone in late position triples the blind. I can triple their bet of 30 to 90 or i can make 4times to 120. Basically they know what I have so they can call to catch a set and then if they do I'm kind of screwed... but i guess it depends on how deep they are and how good a player they are and whatever... Anyways what are your opinions on how much you should repop it to preflop? Thanks for any feedback... and sorry if this was discussed before heh

With aces I put in a standard raise, if I'm reraised I start thinking about who I'm playing against. Usually I put in a minimum reraise hoping to encourage them to reraise again or just push all in. I find this works better to get all the chips in the middle than by just pushing in myself, against the average lower limit player. Against more saavy players in higher buy-in NL games I would make my standard raise (3x the BB + 1 BB/limper) and if reraised, triple the current bet. But then again I don't play 5/10 NL and it will be a long time before I have the bankroll too so take my advice for what it's worth.

Since I was recommended I mine as well tell you, limp from under gun all other positions raise. The raise however is the crucial part, know your oppenents, how likely is it that if you make a small raise someone will come over the top for example, blind 5-10 raise to 25(early position), then if you feel your field will re raise with 8s or higher, or AJ or better and they decide to do so, say to 75, now theres atleast 110 in pot so you could then raise the 75 to 175 enough to get action and hope for small flop because if his money does go all in al its almost certain he has JJ QQ or KK. This strategy makes the pot 350 or so pre flop and with a lot of flops you can extract all of his chips. If your field is not likely to re- raise and are more typical call and see flops with blinds at 10, raise to a peculiar number like 95 and get heads up and see what happens.J

Raise annouces what hand you have.. unless you do this with lots of hands, don't do it with aces. the only reason you should do it is if there's a maniac behind you, but then, if there is, you should be doing this with way more hands than aces...the limp re raise is nOT tricky, it only fools Donkeys. Just raise normally. It sounds to me like you're afraid to play your aces.. even when you limp re raise, you're afraid of a caller.. what you want is someone to RERAISE you preflop, so you can get all in.. what you DON"T want is to build some pot you can get trapped for all your chips with. If you make the normal 30- 40 chip raise, you don't commit a bunch of your stack post flop. the lmip re raise does that. If you must limp re raise, I would raise it to a much larger amount than three times. Raise it an amount that might be seen as weekness. Like 200-300. How much is the buy in into the game, how much are average stacks? any re raises you make with aces should be of the kind that gives your oppenent the wrong odds to call to hit a set against yo, so the raiser/s stack size and yoru stack size should govern the size of the re raise.

nothing wrong with limping dude. a lot of people on this board really dont know that much about winning poker. and a lot of the ones that play a lot and do, play fixed and very low limits. i would say mix it up. if the same situation arises 5times, twice i would do your reraise to 90 or 120. twice i would slo-call. some people online thiink that taking a while to play a hand means u are weak. then let the raiser take control of the betting and hope he doesnt get lucky, you'll get a huge pot. and once out of five i would re-raise allin. like i said be4 online players think taking a long time to act is a sign of weakness, so if u wait a while , then raise crazy allin, they may call thinking u have ak aq or some pair like 10s js 9s. then again, this is a cash game, so some people may never call that allin reraise even with queens. but in tournament play they would call more often

mixing up your game is important.i sometimes limp-reraise 9-9 and 8-8 to isolate weak players, and at showdown, the table's interest is piqued since i limp-reraised. when i show down 9-9 and 8-8, i set myself up to win a big pot when i do the same thing with A-A.if you're too scared to limp-reraise with 9-9 and 8-8, don't limp-reraise with A-A because everyone will know your hand, and your post-flop power will be shot to hell.just raise from UTG in that case. you don't give away your hand as much. it sucks being out of position, but that just means that you should aim to end the hand sooner and be more willing to release it in the face of post-flop action.alternatively, raise a lot more if you limp-reraise, to cut down your opponent's implied odds and to get all the money in as quickly as possible while you still have equity.example 1:i limp UTG with A-A for $10. folds over to the button who makes it $40 to go. both blinds fold. if i call, the pot will be $95. so i'm going to make it $140 to go--more than the pot and it significantly cuts down my opponent's implied odds. if he calls, we each have around $860 left, and the pot will be around $295. on any flop, bet around $200-$250. if your opponent calls, go by your read--is he being stubborn with ace-high or an overpair, or is he somewhat tight/passive (meaning he'll only call when he hit his set or two pair or the like)? from there on, play the turn accordingly, but the turn should play itself. the pot on the turn will be around $695-$795, and you'll both have only about $600-$650 left, so either put it all in on the turn or fold if you feel you're beat.example 2:i raise UTG with A-A for $30. only the button cold-calls. the pot is now about $75, and you both have $970 left. value your aces a LOT less now, because you both have big implied odds. be ready to release them on a dangerous board or with a good read.that's the advantage of limp-reraising--you get your money in quickly and the rest of the hand plays itself much easier. just remember, since you're giving away the strength of your hand and since you're out of position, you want to put as much money in as quickly as you can, so don't just triple or quadruple his raise, raise a pot-sized or greater amount.hope this helps,aseem

As you said, when you limp under the gun and re-raise it is obvious what you have. An opening raise doesn't mean you have aces, you might get re-raised you may not, but limping and re-raising especially in live games gives you opponent to much info on your hand, and too good of implied odds. Also what if you limp and so do 5 others. Now your probably in trouble. A month ago at a 5-10 no limit game I was playing a guy limped, I raised to 40 with JJ, he then re-raised me to 80. I knew what he had and decided that I would take a shot at busting him, if the flop comes 2-3-7 i will still fold. The Flop came J-3-3, and then he decided to protect his hand by moving all-in, and as you can guess I won a huge pot. Did I get lucky, yes, but he allowed me to by horribly mis-playing his hand. If raised more I fold, or if he opens, I would re-raise, then he could come back over me and I would be forced to fold. The only time this play is acceptable, is if you are at a table were every pot is being raised, and plan on re-raising to win the pot right, to go all-in. winning one your is never a bad result.

As you said, when you limp under the gun and re-raise it is obvious what you have.
not if you mix up your game.
An opening raise doesn't mean you have aces, you might get re-raised you may not, but limping and re-raising especially in live games gives you opponent to much info on your hand, and too good of implied odds.
again, not if you mix up your game. as for the implied odds, that's not true at all if you have good hand-reading and physical-reading ability as well as strong post-flop play.
Also what if you limp and so do 5 others. Now your probably in trouble.
not really. just don't overvalue them, and be prepared to let them go. you've invested $10, no big deal. you're not "in trouble", you just adapt to the changed situation.
A month ago at a 5-10 no limit game I was playing a guy limped, I raised to 40 with JJ, he then re-raised me to 80. I knew what he had and decided that I would take a shot at busting him, if the flop comes 2-3-7 i will still fold. The Flop came J-3-3, and then he decided to protect his hand by moving all-in, and as you can guess I won a huge pot. Did I get lucky, yes, but he allowed me to by horribly mis-playing his hand. If raised more I fold, or if he opens, I would re-raise, then he could come back over me and I would be forced to fold.
he didn't misplay them by limp-reraising, he misplayed them by limp-MIN-reraising, and then moving in on any flop--that's idiotic. don't generalize.
The only time this play is acceptable, is if you are at a table were every pot is being raised, and plan on re-raising to win the pot right, to go all-in. winning one your is never a bad result.
not quite the only time, but i assumed the OP did realize that limp-reraising only works when the table is aggressive. you don't necessarily have to move all-in--you just have to raise a hefty amount to trap those already in the pot, putting you in a win/win situation. if they fold, you win the pot = win. if they call, they're making an unprofitable call with low implied odds = win.aseem

playing in 5-10 nl avg stack 1k, I got AA UTG, (small raises preflop have been rampant $10 - $15 raises. ) So against my best judgement I limp 4 seat fold , five seat make it $20, six call, seven fold, eight fold, nine call, button call, sm b fold, bb call, I re-raise $110 (pot size) what did that tell everyone?He's got AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!they all folded, I take down $110 pot ;5.5 big bets AA has an EV of 2.48 big bets in position 3. So in all I like the result. with no flop and no rake

The best way to limp raise w/ AA in early position is to make it unprofitable for him to hit a set. Therefore, you must pop it to either 20% of your stack, or 20% of his stack, whichever is smaller. That way, if he folds, you win.. which is good (if I win $40 100% of the time, that is better than winning $40 80% of the time and losing 1k 20% of the time). So, if you pop it to $200 at those stakes, it makes it very unprofitable, even if and when they hit a set and take all your money. Don't be afraid to go all in after the flop if they do call $200 either. Hope this helps.. it is a guaranteed way to make money by limpraising w/ AA in early position.However, if flop comes something like JQK... I play it very careful, cuz those are the types of hands they are calling $200 w/.

What about just raising instead of limping with AA?
The OP plays in games with 100BB stacks. If he plans to raise AA, he has to raise a lot of hands, or else he kills himself with reverse implied odds.Limping with AA in EP when deep stacked is often a good play. You're guaranteed to break someone if you get set over set, you get to raise and take down a sizable pot if someone bets. If you're generally a tight player, then limping with AA from EP is necessary, otherwise everyone at the table will know what you have when you bet. For lower limit online players, limping isn't necessary (in fact, it's probably foolish), because the other players aren't paying any attention to you. For a 1000NL player, limping may be the best play. To the OP: I would generally repop to 200, because once 20% of my stack is out there, I know the dude doesn't have implied odds to call, so I can proceed with the hand comfortably. I'm sure there are better ways to play aces than that, but it's all I can offer. I usually play with 50BB stacks, at lower limits, so I don't come across this situation often.