ben affleck a force to be reckoned with?

I've heard alot about the gambling skills of actor Ben Affleck. Rumors say he is in the high stakes poker rooms in Vegas at The Mirage and Bellagio. In fact, I saw him in person at The Palms one time. Credit to his poker success is becoming California State Poker Champion. So what. Ever heard of beginners luck. If I remember right, he was knocked out pretty early on in the main event at the World Series last year. If Annie Duke was my personal poker teacher, I'd have broken Stu Ungar's record for World Championship bracelets by now. If any of you feel the same way about this please share.

Plenty of people that play in high stakes lose lots of money. He is also wealthier than the average person so the stakes he plays is probably very reasonable to him. And the line about Annie Duke as your teacher was a joke right?

From the info I've heard from various sources it sounds like Ben Affleck is actually a pretty solid player. I dont think you can claim that "beginner's luck" led him to win the CA state championship anymore than you can claim that Raymer won last year for the same reason. Both players log more than a few hours at high stakes tables with extremely solid players, and obviously have a fine knowledge for the game. The "beginner's luck" theory is somewhat retarded...Affleck takes the game very seriously and from most accounts is a good player. When the hell does anyone win a tournament with "beginners luck?" I guess there is always a luck factor in poker, but its pretty tough to win a good size MTT without having at least some skill in poker.Perhaps he's not a professional level player yet, but few far. He is a bright guy, a former Harvard student, as well as someone who obviously has the means and time to play a lot and receive world class instruction on his game. His movies suck though. Maybe that's why he is playing a lot of poker. Yeah, i agree. OP, You are totally envious. He would probably axe murder you at the tables. Believe it or not there are some celebrity types who can play cards. For example, Larry Flynt is a good stud player, and James Woods can play a decent hold em game. Don't hate just because their famous and can play cards too.

From the info I've heard from various sources it sounds like Ben Affleck is actually a pretty solid player. I dont think you can claim that "beginner's luck" led him to win the CA state championship anymore than you can claim that Raymer won last year for the same reason. Both players log more than a few hours at high stakes tables with extremely solid players, and obviously have a fine knowledge for the game. The "beginner's luck" theory is somewhat retarded...Affleck takes the game very seriously and from most accounts is a good player. When the hell does anyone win a tournament with "beginners luck?" I guess there is always a luck factor in poker, but its pretty tough to win a good size MTT without having at least some skill in poker.Perhaps he's not a professional level player yet, but few far. He is a bright guy, a former Harvard student, as well as someone who obviously has the means and time to play a lot and receive world class instruction on his game. His movies suck though. Maybe that's why he is playing a lot of poker. Yeah, i agree. OP, You are totally envious. He would probably axe murder you at the tables. Believe it or not there are some celebrity types who can play cards. For example, Larry Flynt is a good stud player, and James Woods can play a decent hold em game. Don't hate just because their famous and can play cards too.

Plenty of people that play in high stakes lose lots of money. He is also wealthier than the average person so the stakes he plays is probably very reasonable to him. And the line about Annie Duke as your teacher was a joke right?
Yes it was joke. And I'm suprised to see so many come to the actors defense. Yes, Affleck did play in the main event but was knocked so early you didn't hear about it. As for his Harvard education, I'm not impressed. Schools like Harvard can plant as much biased information in your head as you're willing to pay for. I'm sure he's a decent player, but lets be honest. The only reason you and have ever heard about him playing poker is because he's a celebrity, not because he's a great poker player. And no, I'm not envious of his skill. I would love to get the chance to sit down with him in a live game. If I'm gonna be envious of anyone, I think it would be Chan or Negreanu. Not some prick celebrity from Boston.

Of course the only reason we hear about him is because he's a famous actor first, not a poker player....so what? Those kind of things are good for ratings, thus bringing more new players to the tables. So play on player

He's gotta be pretty good if he won the Cali State poker championship. If he has the resources or funds to find pros to help his game why not? I mean it shows he's trying to get better.

Here's the final table from the tourney that Affleck won:1 Ben Affleck (Santa Monica, CA, USA) $356,400 2 Stan Goldstein (Los Angeles, CA, USA) $204,930 3 Chuck Pacheco (Los Angeles, CA, USA) $106,920 4 Jimmy Tran (Las Vegas, NV, USA) $62,370 5 John Esposito (Las Vegas, NV, USA) $49,005 6 Ty Nguyen (Winnipeg, Canada) $40,095 7 Raymond Davis (Bell Gardens, CA, USA) $31,185 8 Pogos Simityan (Glendale, CA, USA) $22,275 9 Amir Vahedi (Sherman Oaks, CA, USA) $17,820 Not too shabby, he beat some quality players to take that title.

if you think you could be that good why don't you pay whatever price it takes to get annie duke to coach you. i mean by the time you win your 9 bracelets you will more than have payed back your fee. seems like a win win deal for you. cause you do sound like an amazing player.

I admit, I'm jealous of him.That said, I hope he becomes a great player. He seems like a good guy and it's hard not to like someone who gets rich and only wants to play poker, Playstation and hook up with the hottest chicks in Hollywood. He's like what Esfandiari desperately wants to be, only without the need to write articles about how Rocks and Rings he is.Peace,Jay

To respond to the OP, why do you have a biased against Affleck because he is an actor? The fact is he a pretty smart guy if he could even get into Harvard, especially since he wasn't from a Mayflower money family like most of those annoying Harvard dorks. You need counseling man. Or a good lay...

Ben Affleck did NOT goto Harvard. Matt Damon went to Harvard and Ben was at community college or something.Being Ben Affleck must be freaking sweet at the poker table. He's at a bigger advantage than any woman. Every single guy will be calling him down and trying to bluff into him because they all want to be able to say that they knocked out Affleck. He must accumulate chips like crazy.

Ben Affleck did not go to Harvard, that was Matt Damon. An easy mistake to make. The guy obviously is not a nine to fiver so it makes sense that he would have time to develop some skills so Im sure he is solid and has some success to prove it.I think he paid Annie Duke with a little bit of hide the salami :club: .