excellent advice from mike sexton on the wpt tonight

At least Mike Sexton has actually accomplished something in the Poker World and is not some little kid flamer on poker forums.
Irony.
lmao, best post in this thread.Inserts the Vince "Well Done" (to Paul Phillips bluff against Laak)
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Sexton:Alright folks, the mysterious Man fron Known only as BigDMcgee, or NebraskaFats is looking down at his cards.  Now, I want you to pay attention, here folks.  He has been delt K3, but you don't see him standing up, dancing.  Not even a Pinch has left his lips.  That's a pro, ladies and gentlemen.  To be delt a hand like that, and to show no emotion.
:clap: Thanks for that. just had to let you know this had me lauging out loud, at work. (yes, i am allowed to ck this site at work...) :green: classic Mcgee keep em coming...
What if when you get dealt aces...you scream:  "BINGO BANGO BONGO VINCE!!!"Is that a tell?  Am I giving too much away?
Could you imagine vince's reaction when he said that in the booth.... haha bingo bango bongo.... where the hell did he come up with that
Mike pointed out something important tonight that I think we should all try to incorporate into our live play.  When Chris Ferguson was dealt pocket aces ("weapons of mass destruction"), he told viewers to note how Ferguson reacted.  So naturally  I watched closely since Chris is a pro and a world champion.  He said "notice his reaction folks...notice that he doesn't act elated and he doesn't start jumping up and down."  By pointing this out, Mike caused me to realize that if I act elated and start jumping up and down when dealt aces, I'd could possibly tip off my opponents that I had a good hand.   I guess I might have eventually picked this up on my own, but it sure helps having someone like Mike Sexton to point out these things and help us learn from the pros.  Just when I think he and Vince can't make me laugh any more than they previously have...
Actually, you should reverse-engineer that.Jump up and down like a fool, and your opponent will surely think you are bluffing....then drop the hammer - sure it will only work once, but it would be pretty funny.

the most valuable advice that i have leanred from mike sexton is that if you do not raise preflop nobody can EVER put you on a pair of aces if one flops... and it's great that he reminds me of that no less than 42 times every Wednesday night...

Funny story.......I once was playing at a Home Game with one guy that thought he was "The reading master"...all he talked about was tells and how he could spot them....Well...me and a buddy of mine looked at each other with this look that just said "This guy is an idiot."Well...long story short...I get in a pot with him....I am one off the button and he is in the BB...I look down to see....AA....I raise 4x the BB and everybody folds...to him......I then notice him staring at me......I look back at him and say: "Are you trying to catch a tell?" He says..."something like that."...I then say...."I hope you call with a weak ace cuz I got two of them."He then says: "That's all the info I needed.....I raise." (He raised double my raise....Bear trap? does he have a big hand too?"I then say: "Well....I'll call to save face...maybe I hit the flop."Flop comes: A66I Yell: "I GOT THE NUTS!!!!!!! WELL..... I HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE 66."I then say...."Bet so I can call you and then raise you on the turn."He says: "I'm allin."I say: "I call."He had A5........BINGO BANGO BONGO VINCE!!!

Ok.... how about he's an anouncer who is trying to be friendly to all sorts of audiences, specially the majority of those who watch the events who are people that don't play poker seriously, or for money, or at all.
What does that mean? Anybody who has played poker even once - even small children - already instinctively know that you shouldn't act elated or start jumping up and down when you're dealt a good hand.
poker commentators are pretty much useless anyways, so i prefer the ones that don't cause me to notice them instead of the actual play.  like watchin the censored on poker millions screaming the entire hand from the pre-flop raise on, going quiet for 3 seconds on the turn, and yelling even louder on the river.  drives me crazy enough to watch the show on mute.
I agree that this guy is absolutely douchey. Its like he's announcing a monster truck rally.

Since when did matching experience become a prerequisite for making fun of people? I think George Bush is a douche, and makes an ass of himself when he's forced to open his yap in front of a camera, an audience, or even his bathroom mirror for that matter. Yet, I have never been a Skull, the president, or spoken through a feed that probably goes around the world.Does that mean I can't think he's a douche? Mike Sexton's a douche, because he hyperventilates over every flop that comes down on television. That doesn't mean he's a bad poker player, doesn't have a WSOP bracelet, and isn't richer than my broke censored. It just means he's a douche, plain and simple. Just like that poster who complains about "shady" avatars and plays Faith+1 music. Jesus may love that guy more than me, but he's still a douche, just like George Bush, Mike Sexton and that guy who used to predict futures and read minds on daytime TV.Now, since I'm a newbie, I will promptly STFU.- Gritz

Since when did matching experience become a prerequisite for making fun of people? I think George Bush is a douche, and makes an ass of himself when he's forced to open his yap in front of a camera, an audience, or even his bathroom mirror for that matter. Yet, I have never been a Skull, the president, or spoken through a feed that probably goes around the world.Does that mean I can't think he's a douche? Mike Sexton's a douche, because he hyperventilates over every flop that comes down on television. That doesn't mean he's a bad poker player, doesn't have a WSOP bracelet, and isn't richer than my broke censored. It just means he's a douche, plain and simple. Just like that poster who complains about "shady" avatars and plays Faith+1 music. Jesus may love that guy more than me, but he's still a douche, just like George Bush, Mike Sexton and that guy who used to predict futures and read minds on daytime TV.Now, since I'm a newbie, I will promptly STFU.- Gritz
No....but thinking the president is a douche because he is a bad speaker makes you a douche...

They don't know what the hell they are talking about. I jump up and cheer everytime. But then again ...i play online...On a serious note always make off the wall comments when I play live... "oh now thats pretty"... How ever I play limit... They always think i['m bluffn tho... i don't know why.Jason

Ok.... how about he's an anouncer who is trying to be friendly to all sorts of audiences, specially the majority of those who watch the events who are people that don't play poker seriously, or for money, or at all.Mike Sexton makes a lot more money than you do playing poker. He's actually not that bad of a poker player himself. He just has the ability to ADJUST when he knows he is speaking to a mass audience that is not as familiar with poker. It's what makes him a great anouncer.ADJUSTING to the people to you are confronting is also a good skill at the tables... you should try it, and not be deceived by it... like you are with Mike Sexton.
see my comment above and lighten the hell up. Yes - Mike Sexton makes a lot more money than me at poker...goody for him. I'm not a pro poker player, I'm a business man. I'm sure I make a lot more money than Mike Sexton in the business world. Money has nothing to do with him saying something very funny while announcing.
wow you must be rich as hell then, because he certainly is!p.s. poker is his business. And he gets paid for it so the real question is does he make more money from poker than you do from business?and the answer is obviously who gives a shit!

I foresee the innovation next year will be a computer animation of Jesus jumping up and down looking at his pocket aces, so that we not only know the hole cards, but his internal reaction. Might have to wait til it gets switched to FOX for that one... :roll:

When I get pocket aces I used to sit still and not act emotional. Of course then everyone folded. Now I jump out of my seat, whip my pants off and yell "time to unleash hell." You'd be surprised on how many people call you after thatOrville

Did anyone catch the Hollywood Homegame with DN doing colour commentary?? I thought he was 100x better than Vince Van Patten. Just food for thought.

This is a total side-note, but I loved it when Mike Sexton got busted in the Poker Superstars against Mimi Tran and Doyle Brunson. This wasn't because I wanted to see him get busted, but he was all in with 7-6 and afterwards said "I had 7-6, 76 trombones. I was trying to toot my horn, and got caught." It at least proves that he says that kind of stuff normally (or at least in interviews, too).As far as commentary goes, I don't mind Sexton, but Daniel Negreanu definitely does the best color commentary (in terms of making it simple and fun to watch/listen to), and Howard Lederer probably does the best analysis. And I actually thought Daniel and Mike Sexton worked really well together on the WPT Hollywood Homegame. Especially Mike questioning Daniel's use of the phrase "suited connectors."

Howard lederer's analysis is spectacular....The guy is the best.....You feel like you are getting better just by watching him do commentary...it is educational....His commentary in the Plaza event was spectacular.....at Turning Stone...even better.