excellent advice from mike sexton on the wpt tonight

Mike pointed out something important tonight that I think we should all try to incorporate into our live play. When Chris Ferguson was dealt pocket aces ("weapons of mass destruction"), he told viewers to note how Ferguson reacted. So naturally I watched closely since Chris is a pro and a world champion. He said "notice his reaction folks...notice that he doesn't act elated and he doesn't start jumping up and down." By pointing this out, Mike caused me to realize that if I act elated and start jumping up and down when dealt aces, I'd could possibly tip off my opponents that I had a good hand. I guess I might have eventually picked this up on my own, but it sure helps having someone like Mike Sexton to point out these things and help us learn from the pros. Just when I think he and Vince can't make me laugh any more than they previously have...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Mike pointed out something important tonight that I think we should all try to incorporate into our live play. When Chris Ferguson was dealt pocket aces ("weapons of mass destruction"), he told viewers to note how Ferguson reacted. So naturally I watched closely since Chris is a pro and a world champion. He said "notice his reaction folks...notice that he doesn't act elated and he doesn't start jumping up and down." By pointing this out, Mike caused me to realize that if I act elated and start jumping up and down when dealt aces, I'd could possibly tip off my opponents that I had a good hand. I guess I might have eventually picked this up on my own, but it sure helps having someone like Mike Sexton to point out these things and help us learn from the pros. Just when I think he and Vince can't make me laugh any more than they previously have...
At least Mike Sexton has actually accomplished something in the Poker World and is not some little kid flamer on poker forums.
At least Mike Sexton has actually accomplished something in the Poker World and is not some little kid flamer on poker forums.
pipe down pot, its hilarious
Guest Anonymous
Irony.
I totally agree.... ASS HOLE !!! =(

no wonder i get folds all around when i type "YESSSS!!!!" in the chat window. oh wait, this thread is about live play. oh.

In live play I would jump up and do the cabbage patch.I CANNOT STAND Sexton or the other clown. I don't even care to remember his name. Time for some new announcers.... seriously.

I don't think anyone's questioning Mike Sexton or Vince Van Patten's poker credentials. Their broadcasting credentials are what's being brought into question.

Ok.... how about he's an anouncer who is trying to be friendly to all sorts of audiences, specially the majority of those who watch the events who are people that don't play poker seriously, or for money, or at all.Mike Sexton makes a lot more money than you do playing poker. He's actually not that bad of a poker player himself. He just has the ability to ADJUST when he knows he is speaking to a mass audience that is not as familiar with poker. It's what makes him a great anouncer.ADJUSTING to the people to you are confronting is also a good skill at the tables... you should try it, and not be deceived by it... like you are with Mike Sexton.

Oh I see...so in life you're only allowed to laugh at someone's comment if you've accomplished more than them in their profession? Obviously Mike Sexton is more accomplished than me at poker...doesn't mean he doesn't say silly or funny things that can be laughed up. Lighten up. Oh - and I'm neither a little kid nor a flamer so cut the crap and grow up.
Ok.... how about he's an anouncer who is trying to be friendly to all sorts of audiences, specially the majority of those who watch the events who are people that don't play poker seriously, or for money, or at all.Mike Sexton makes a lot more money than you do playing poker. He's actually not that bad of a poker player himself. He just has the ability to ADJUST when he knows he is speaking to a mass audience that is not as familiar with poker. It's what makes him a great anouncer.ADJUSTING to the people to you are confronting is also a good skill at the tables... you should try it, and not be deceived by it... like you are with Mike Sexton.
see my comment above and lighten the hell up. Yes - Mike Sexton makes a lot more money than me at poker...goody for him. I'm not a pro poker player, I'm a business man. I'm sure I make a lot more money than Mike Sexton in the business world. Money has nothing to do with him saying something very funny while announcing.
I'm a business man. I'm sure I make a lot more money than Mike Sexton in the business world.
He has a book, sponsorship deal with PartyPoker & announcing gig. Are you sure about that?I agree with the rest of your post, btw. Just wanted to get to that before the douchebags do.

What if when you get dealt aces...you scream: "BINGO BANGO BONGO VINCE!!!"Is that a tell? Am I giving too much away?I also have another problem......when I make a huge hand on the flop or turn.....instead of having the macarena going off in my head...I just sing the song out loud.......This commentary in the WPT is worthless......Just watch Howard Lederer do commentary and then cry yourself to sleep that the WPT and WSOP telecasts suck so much.

I'm a business man. I'm sure I make a lot more money than Mike Sexton in the business world.
He has a book, sponsorship deal with PartyPoker & announcing gig. Are you sure about that?I agree with the rest of your post, btw. Just wanted to get to that before the douchebags do.
I'd consider that the poker world rather than the business world but yes lol.

poker commentators are pretty much useless anyways, so i prefer the ones that don't cause me to notice them instead of the actual play. like watchin the cocknock on poker millions screaming the entire hand from the pre-flop raise on, going quiet for 3 seconds on the turn, and yelling even louder on the river. drives me crazy enough to watch the show on mute.

Mike Sexton does commentary as if the audience is retarded.
What do you mean? They aren't retarded? Mike Sexton isn't retarded. Whenever I get pocket rockets I do a little dance in my seat. I raise about half my BR and some maniac goes all in and turns up A6o when I call him...oh waitThat's when I'm playing online on the Penny NL table on UB.Whenever I get pocket Aces I announce to the table that I have a pair of aces and go all in and they all call me...oh waitThat's in my dreams.Whenever I get pocket Aces I scowl at the cards while I am looking at them. Throw them down in disgust and put a pot size bet in. Everyone but Mike Caro calls me and the maniac who raised UTG turns over 35. It flops AK2, turn a 7 and river a 4...oh waitThat's in my nightmares.Whenever I get pocket Aces I keep a blank face, stop myself from looking at my chips, put in a pot sized bet and watch while the table folds around to Doyle who announces "I'm all in" and when I call him he turns over AKo...oh waitThat's in my day dreams about playing in the WSOP.Whenever I get pocket Aces I deal out the hand, make a note that I win these most of the time and deal another trial hand. That's what really happens.Gerund

i love it when a guy plays some crap like A2, hits an A on the flop, somebody bets at him, and van patten starts with the "he's doin cartwheels on the inside he has HIT HIS ACE" anyone ever have A/rag and do cartwheels when someone bets into ya? unreal.

Mike Sexton makes a lot more money than you do playing poker. He's actually not that bad of a poker player himself.
How many more wsop bracelets before he graduates from not a bad player to a good player?

Mike Sexton:Alright folks, the mysterious Man fron Known only as BigDMcgee, or NebraskaFats is looking down at his cards. Now, I want you to pay attention, here folks. He has been delt K3, but you don't see him standing up, dancing. Not even a Pinch has left his lips. That's a pro, ladies and gentlemen. To be delt a hand like that, and to show no emotion.