what in the world is the point of...

The minimal raise in a very multi-way pot in the early levels of a NLHE tournament? ie - Everyone has T1500 and blinds are 10-20 and 4 people limp in (with a couple still to act) for 20 and someone raises to 40? I've been seeing that a ton lately and I never get it. It doesn't chase anyone out of the pot (no one who put in 20 isn't gonna call another 20 with that many chips in their stack), it doesn't scare anybody or cause them to respect your hand, and it opens up the possibility of a reraise (where the original raiser invaraibly folds and loses their chips anyway). It's simply annoying - nothing else.Anyone else notice this a lot lately or have an explanation?

maybe it's a newbie that doesn't know about the slider bar and that they can raise more. That's my only explanation for their stupidity.

Yeah, it's pretty idiotic. I see a lot of fish doing this... I played a hand once where two people limped in front of me, I limped in on the button, and then the BB doubled the blind. He ended up having pocket kings and busting someone, but please, what a stupid play. It's more aggravating than it is effective.

Guest XXEddie
Yeah, it's pretty idiotic.  I see a lot of fish doing this...  I played a hand once where two people limped in front of me, I limped in on the button, and then the BB doubled the blind.  He ended up having pocket kings and busting someone, but please, what a stupid play.  It's more aggravating than it is effective.
i hate these situation(blinds 10/20)raise to 40callcallraise to 60callraise to 80callcallraise to 100foldraise to 120foldraise to 140foldfoldraise to 180raise to 200raise to 220all the way toraise to 800 and is allincall 20 morecall 40 morecall 60 morehandsA203389sK2oI try to explain the word "no" to them considering they dont see that there is NO limitthey dont find it as funny as the other people at the table
The minimal raise in a very multi-way pot in the early levels of a NLHE tournament?  ie - Everyone has T1500 and blinds are 10-20 and 4 people limp in (with a couple still to act) for 20 and someone raises to 40?  I've been seeing that a ton lately and I never get it.  It doesn't chase anyone out of the pot (no one who put in 20 isn't gonna call another 20 with that many chips in their stack), it doesn't scare anybody or cause them to respect your hand, and it opens up the possibility of a reraise (where the original raiser invaraibly folds and loses their chips anyway).  It's simply annoying - nothing else.Anyone else notice this a lot lately or have an explanation?
I agree. I think its laziness... Justin

i think the min raise is just a way of justifiying playing some sort of drawing hand. I play 7stud mostly, so i usually raise in a huge multiway pot with a good drawing hand just so my odds are correct. I would either put these players on your buddy list as fish or put them on a drawing hand such as QJs, J10s, etc. I realize there is a big difference between stud and NLHE, but I have seen this before in NL and sometimes it is a raise made in order to build a pot, especially in a passive game. In my opinion of course.

i think the min raise is just a way of justifiying playing some sort of drawing hand.  I play 7stud mostly, so i usually raise in a huge multiway pot with a good drawing hand just so my odds are correct.  I would either put these players on your buddy list as fish or put them on a drawing hand such as QJs, J10s, etc.  I realize there is a big difference between stud and NLHE, but I have seen this before in NL and sometimes it is a raise made in order to build a pot, especially in a passive game.  In my opinion of course.
That's the one thing that I was thinking - that they have something like 98s and this way if they do hit a monster flop, it's a bigger pot. That would make sense except for the fact that any increase in pot size is seemingly negated by the fact that at least 10-20% of the time someone reraises after that and the original minimal raiser has to throw away their chips. Obviously they're idiots and not thinking about this. It just always seems so silly when everyone bets and then one person makes this bs raise and then you go around the table again with everyone quickly calling the raise to end up right back where you were before. So annoying.

In response to Bravdo's post, not if you play at party poker :club: If you have enough info on a player, you can easily take advantage of this. I don't think anyone should look upon the min raise as a bad thing. Some will of course misplay their AA by doing this, but it only needs to happen once in order to get the info you need in order to make this your cashcow.

A heck of a lot of professional players "Bet around the blinds" which means they make big blind sized bets.It gives them a lot more play and allows skill to win out.I'm not a fan of it, but it's like anything else, if you can play that style right it can be effective.

I see the minimal raising all of the time in these SnG's, even MTT's.... happens on every site, but I see it more often than not on Poker Stars. I always laugh when someone raises the minimum over a bunch of limpers with a hand like 5 5, and when the flop comes JK6, the 5's will suddenly push all-in, get called and lose, and then complain for 5 minutes about their horrible beat. Good stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty idiotic.  I see a lot of fish doing this...  I played a hand once where two people limped in front of me, I limped in on the button, and then the BB doubled the blind.  He ended up having pocket kings and busting someone, but please, what a stupid play.  It's more aggravating than it is effective.
yea, what an idiot. i mean, it was obvious he had a big hand, despite the fact that he busted someone. :roll:
yea, what an idiot. i mean, it was obvious he had a big hand, despite the fact that he busted someone. :roll:
Who cares if they raise from the BB.. if there are 4 limpers and buddy has KK and he only min. raises. then you should be glad for that. And second. what the heck are u doin limping all the time and getting mad at an extra blind?You are obviously upset cuz you wanted a cheap flop for your crap cards.Cards which you probably shouldnt be playing in the first place. check your stats and keep your flops % down under 25%. You wont care about min raises at this point.